Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 09 Feb 08 2:37am

jammycow

Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

Pork Chops/Loins - how to cook them and stay moist, tender & edible?

As the title, I've some pork loins (organic) prefabricated and ready to be taken out of fridge and cooked with. Every time I've ever cooked them, grilled, baked, with stuffing, with source, etc... they always turn out either tough to eat or too dry.

Whats the secret to tender pork?

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 09 Feb 08 3:24am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Re: Pork Chops/Loins - how to cook them and stay moist, tender & edible?

Don't over cook them.

Pork is a very lean meat and dries out very easily if it is cooked too long. There used to be an old husbands tale that pork had to be cooked till well done as it had some sort of worm or something. This is no longer true (if it ever was) and you can now cook pork until it is medium or medium rare.

To cook to perfection:
Buy really thick pork chops, at least 2cm or 1 inch.
Get a cast iron grill pan nice and smoking hot on the stove.
Snip the rind and fat (not meat) every two cm or so.
Get some Extra Virgin Olive oil (EVOO) and rub it into the chops/cutlets. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.

Put on the grill pan and cook for about half a minute, change the position of the chops so you get that  cross hatch pattern, cook another  half a minute and turn over.

Reduce the heat of the grill pan and cook another couple of minutes, repositioning the pork to get the cross hatch thing.

Remove and put on a warm plate and rest for ten minutes in a warm oven.

Serve with a yummy salad and a glass of Rose‘.

Rose‘ is a very light red wine with a touch of sweetness to it. Compliments  Pork perfectly. If you cannot get it, try a fruity crisp Chardonnay.

Last edited by Cindy (Sat 09 Feb 08 3:26am)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 09 Feb 08 1:45pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

I find using a roasting bag for pork chops in the oven is great... keeps them nice and moist.. just add a few veg, a little bit of water and some seasonings (maybe a bay leaf as well) and put everything in the roasting bag.. dead handy  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 09 Feb 08 2:05pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

When short frying (pan frying) any meat really I turn the heat up all the way until the pan and oil are really hot. But as soon as I put in the meat I turn it down to medium/medium high and continue frying.

The other thing is: never ever put the meat straight from the fridge into the pan/oven/on the grill. Always leave it out for at least 30 minutes.

The thing about pork and worms is from a time when there were no fridges and cold storage. The pork was hung to bleed out etc. By the time people had it on the table it had been out for days. They still do the hanging today but at much lower temperatures where microorganisms cannot multiply like that and there are less chances for contamination. Both hygiene and temperature of today help to make pork rather safe.

Cook pork until it is just done - it can still be pinkish but not as bloody as a steak. A minute more will make it tough.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 10 Feb 08 4:59pm

aroberts

Occupation http://www.ukcider.co.uk
Member since Mon 04 Feb 08

I don't  think it's really just to do with refrigeration, it's more to do with what the pigs were fed on, which used to include all sorts of waste and now.....?  And the life cycle of the porcine tapeworm - lookup "cysticercosis".

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 16 Feb 08 10:28pm

katsbee

Member since Sat 16 Feb 08

I start mine in a hot nonstick pan then when I turn them I add 1 tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard this makes a lovely glaze.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 19 Feb 08 11:33pm

mrandmrsking

From MK
Member since Sat 29 Jan 05

Thank you katsbee,
tonight we had pork chops and after reading your post i mixed mustard and honey as above and chopped an apple into chunks and fried this off with the chops delicious. The mustard and honey and oliveoil as a glaze on lamb also works well

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 04 Jun 11 2:39pm

adybaby

Member since Sat 04 Jun 11

The article on Trichinella on Wikipedia says "Human infection caused by the domestic pig varies from country to country. While some countries do not report any human infection, other countries in Eastern Europe and Asia report hundreds or thousands of cases annually." and "Cooking pork meat properly or by freezing pork, Trichinella infection can be prevented. ".*

Anses says "The USDA recommends that pork be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees"*

I've read a few more articles on the subject* too which talk about the number of cases being exceptionally low, based on authoritative figures.  Note that saying the number of cases is low is different from saying the number of infected pigs is low.  It's possible that if people began under-cooking port more widely the cases would go up.

I have not been able to find a single authoritativen source from any pig industry representative which states that the level of hygiene is sufficient to guarantee the removal of the parasite.  I have found sources* which say that the European law forbids feeding meat to pigs though - which will drastically reduce the number of cases.

Personally, I think that this makes the risk of human contamination through undercooked pork orders of magnitude lower now than it was in the fifties, and it's a risk I would be prepared to take to avoid tough, dry pork.

* Apologies for the lack of citation - this is my first post and the site has forbidden me from posting links.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 05 Jun 11 8:03am

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

A great way to grill loin is to slice a big piece of boneless loin length-wise into 1cm thick stakes. That way they aren't cut across the grain of the meat like chops, and retain more moisture. As for roasting whole pork loin, two words - caul fat! big_smile

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 05 Jun 11 3:46pm

Gazo

Member since Mon 30 May 11

I am with Cindy on this , a smoking hot cast iron griddle pan and they are perfect

Likes (0)