Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 22 Feb 08 7:59am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Rick Steins Petit Sale

I was watching an episode of  Rick Steins French Odyssey and it had a fab looking recipe for Petit Sale made with fresh pork belly, lentils and smoked sausages.

Does anybody have the book with the recipe in it as OG saw it and asked if I could make it.

I am currently banned from buying anymore cookbooks and was hoping someone could help me out.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 22 Feb 08 9:53am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Rick Steins Petit Sale

Try this:-

PETIT SALES AU LENTILLES (taken from Rick Stein’s French Odyssey) Serves 3
Ingredients:
1kg Piece Belly Pork, preferably not rolled but if like mine it is, gently flatten it out, so it resembles a rack of ribs. Rind still on.
200g Sea Salt mixed with 1 gram of Salt Cure (other brands may require more or less per weight of meat so check the instructions carefully). Traditional French Rustic Dish aside, I was rather loath to use all my Maldon Salt and then throw it away, so I used 75g Sea Salt and made the rest up with regular granulated table salt.
6 Small Carrots, halved
15 Baby Onions, or as many as you like/have the strength of eyes to peel
3 Sticks Celery, peeled with a vegetable peeler and cut into 3cm chunks
300g Puy Lentils
Bouquet Garni comprising two bay leaves, some sprigs parsley, thyme and rosemary
15g Unsalted Butter
More Parsley, this time chopped

METHOD:
Four hours before you intend to cook the dish (so, about 6 hours before you intend to serve it), salt the pork. Place it in a non-metallic shallow baking dish. Pour over half the salt mix, rub well into the pork. Turn the meat over and massage in the remaining salt. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for four hours.
After the four hours, rinse the salt from the pork. Place in a deep saucepan (I used a sauté pan) or heatproof casserole dish (which looks nice when you carry it to the table) and cover with about 1 litre of water. Bring to the boil removing any scum that rises to the surface. This is just the protein and any remaining salt discharging itself from its porky dwelling.
Turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30-45 minutes.
Now gently stir in the greenish/black, pebble-like tiny puy lentils. Add the Bouquet Garni.
Leave to simmer for 15 minutes whilst you prepare the vegetables.
Now add the vegetables and cook until tender. Depending on the size of the carrots, this could be anything between 20 minutes to another 40.
Gently remove the pork and cut, lengthwise, into thick, generous slabs.
Add the butter and parsley to the lentils and vegetables and stir through. Pour into deep, wide bowls or onto plates, top with the pork pieces. Serve with some plainly cooked cabbage.
n.b. The original recipe called for smoked sausage to be added to the dish. I was unable to get hold of any in time but please feel free to add some, cut into chunks, with the vegetables.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 23 Feb 08 1:36am

Cindy

Forum champ
From Adelaide, OZ

Thankyou very much for this Geoff, it is much appreciated.

Hopefully I can get the book sometime in the next  5 years lol

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 23 Feb 08 1:59pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Dont you just love petit sale aux lentilles......

Everytime I watch Rick's French Odyssey, I feel like I'm at home....  smile

Takes me back....

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 24 Feb 08 2:00am

Cindy

Forum champ
From Adelaide, OZ

Frenchie - what sort of smoked sausage do you thik he used? Any idea. We have some great smallgood producers here in Adelaide (mostly german) but they also do french, spanish and salamis etc too.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 24 Feb 08 10:45am

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Hi Cindy,

"Saucisse de Morteau" is the type of sausage we would use for the sale aux lentilles recipe... we would also use it in Choucroute (dish made of petit sale meat, sourkraut German cabbage, potatoes, german sausages, white wine, and saucisse de morteau).... with a bit of strong mustard on the side of the plate, it's yum....

The type of food you'd eat in the winter after skiing for 5 hours  wink

I dont know whether you'd be able to get the saucisse de morteau... we have a few little German & French delis around Dublin, but I'm yet to find a shop that sells it....

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 24 Feb 08 2:29pm

Cindy

Forum champ
From Adelaide, OZ

Tyhanks, I can get something similar from my smallgoods shop that makes  so many different types.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 25 Feb 08 1:16pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Our local waitrose sometimes has Saucisse de Morteau, but its not there all the time (& its a bit expensive!), but its good to get when I see it.

Last edited by minerva (Thu 28 Feb 08 3:34pm)

Likes (0)