forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 27 Feb 08 12:05pm

ports18

Occupation IT Manager
From Australia
Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

Perfect Pizza Technique - 4 GAS BBQ

OK this is a Method I discovered.  I have been wanting a Pizza Brick oven for some time.  They are very expensive if done properly though and take ages to heat up.  Solution which is 100% better than an indoor oven.........Gass BBQ, I am not kidding.  Not sure if this has been discussed already but you can cook the most perfect Italian style crispy pizza using your good old gas BBQ rather than a fire oven.  Why when I have an indoor oven you say.  Most modern ovens cannot get the base truely crispy and do not keep the heat as well as a BBQ with the hood closed!!

You need a BBQ with a Hood, Pizza Stone & and a paddle or plate to transfer the pizza dough to the stone.

1.       Position the BBQ hot plate in the middle and grills on opposite ends of your BBQ. Place your cold pizza stone in the centre of the BBQ plate.

2.       Pre-heat your gas BBQ for 10 - 20 minutes with all burners on high The temperature should be around 200 to 245 degrees.

3.       Sprinkle stone with a little flour or cornmeal. Place your home made pizza dough (Jamies Italy is the best I have found and is basic) on floured flat plate {paddle} before adding topping. 

4.  Now when you are ready to cook the pizza adjust your 2 middle burners to low, these burners are directly under the hot plate.  You dont want direct heat here or you will burn the pizza.   use quick jerking motion to transport pizza from plate to the hot stone.

4.       Shut the hood and check after 10 minutes.  Only quick peek as you want to retain the heat if not done.

5.       Use Spatula to remove pizza when crust is browned and cheese is bubbly, do not remove the stone from the BBQ until cool.

Thats it, simple and quicker than an outdoor oven, I am SERIOUS when I say  it is 99.95% the same as what you get from a wood fired brick oven, smokey, crispy and tasty.  I'll never use my indoor oven to cook pizza again !!  PLus I am **** excited about this find !!!

Just wanted to share.

Hints and Tips

1.       The key to success is a hot BBQ, all bread need high temperature to cook.

2.       Always place the stone in a cold BBQ, preheat to high and cook the pizza on hot.

3.       Dust the stone with flour or preferred cornmeal. Too little and you will never get the pizza off the stone.

4.       Never use soap on the stone, simply brush the crumbs off the surface.

5.       Never move to a hot surface when stone is cold and vice versa.

6.       Season the stone with olive oil after each cleaning and leave in the BBQ.

7.       You should avoid high heat direct heat under the pizza stone, the heat should be indirect.

8.       Homemade pizza dough will cook in 10-15 minutes and premade bases will be done in 7-10 minutes with the hood down.

Last edited by ports18 (Thu 28 Feb 08 5:05am)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 27 Feb 08 3:12pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Perfect Pizza Technique - 4 GAS BBQ

It doesn't have to be a gas BBQ - a charcoal BBQ is even better, as is a wood fired chiminea. Both give the authentic smokey taste. The important things is that it be a covered BBQ like a Weber Kettle (a chiminea is by definition covered, of course.

If you don't have a pizza stone, a heavy cast iron pan or the lid of  Dutch Oven can work as a good substitute - just make sure the handles are fireproof!

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 27 Feb 08 3:53pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

salve ports 18!
what do you mean please by "pizza stone", Santa Claus brought me a pietra ollare I haven't used yet because I must discover what sort of wax I must put in two little round containers underneath it. Maybe it is the same, and I could simply put it on barbecue embers?

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 27 Feb 08 5:06pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

pietra ollare will probably be OK - its actually the name of the rock rather than the name of the cooking implement. You can find details at:-

http://sp.lyellcollection.org/cgi/conte … /257/1/229

The gadget you have appears to be a variation on a stone raclette grill.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 27 Feb 08 6:19pm

doylie08

Occupation RETIRED
From CANADA
Member since Sat 23 Feb 08

I WATCHED A LADY IN HAWAII USE THIS METHOD 
INSTEAD OF SAUCE SHE SPREAD   BASIL PESTA  THEN  SLICED RIPE TOMATO AND CHUNKS OF MOZZARELLA CHEESE
WOW clap

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 27 Feb 08 10:57pm

DominicNoBe

GeoffP wrote:

It doesn't have to be a gas BBQ - a charcoal BBQ is even better, as is a wood fired chiminea. Both give the authentic smokey taste. The important things is that it be a covered BBQ like a Weber Kettle (a chiminea is by definition covered, of course.

If you don't have a pizza stone, a heavy cast iron pan or the lid of  Dutch Oven can work as a good substitute - just make sure the handles are fireproof!

all are very fine ways to produce a pizza...and a pizza stone in an oven that goes to 500 F does a very nice job too...

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 28 Feb 08 1:24am

ports18

Occupation IT Manager
From Australia

GeoffP wrote:

pietra ollare will probably be OK - its actually the name of the rock rather than the name of the cooking implement. You can find details at:-

http://sp.lyellcollection.org/cgi/conte … /257/1/229

The gadget you have appears to be a variation on a stone raclette grill.

Granted yes but this post is just an option for people, and a bloody good one I think.  Especially for us Aussies who are guarenteed to have a Gas BBQ.  The indoor oven doesn't do it for me (perhaps its my new oven?).  As you know a Webber can take time to get the beads nice and white.  A Gas BBQ is quick and the taste as far as I am concerned is just as good.

You can buy a pizza stone from any store that sells cookware, like a House or Matchbox in Aus.  They are cheap and are a must if you want a crispy base.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 28 Feb 08 2:26am

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 06 Feb 08

Thanks for sharing the idea & the method so detailed Ports18.  Am going to get back into some pizza making because the ones you buy are so disappointing - haven't ventured there in ages.
The gas barby is a very good option for our climate, expecially with the weather we are experiencing in Q'land - no overheated kitchen to frazzle the cook!
If you are ever on the Sunshine Coast, there is a little place at Dicky Beach, right opposite the patrolled beach area that sells the type of Pizza you would go out for - very fresh ingredients, with toppings not over done & over laden - wood fired.
Cheers  wink

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 28 Feb 08 3:54am

ports18

Occupation IT Manager
From Australia

Cheers Burkey,

When I get a chance mate (which is in the near future) I'll be checking that out !

Cheers,

Ports wink

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 28 Feb 08 5:29am

GeoffP

Forum champ

Gas BBQs rather miss the point of barbecuing - the enhanced flavour which comes from cooking over wood. (And no, I would not count "briquettes" or "beads" as real charcoal).

I suppose gas BBQs are ok if you want "quick and easy", but you can't beat the real thing - just ask yourself "What Would Jamie Do?" smile

Likes (0)