Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 03 Mar 08 11:52am

Torilla

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

HP sauce

I know it sounds very strange, but, for several years, they have been selling HP sauce here (i think because the US had barracks here)and I got used to it. For some reason it's not anymore available here. But I still love it...

So, does anyone have a recipe to make my own HP sauce?

Hope so crossed

Torilla

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 03 Mar 08 1:33pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: HP sauce

Nothing to do with the Americans - they don't have it.

HP sauce is British - the HP stands for Houses of Parliament, and it was, originally manufactured by Gartons in the Midlands.

We've recently had a thread whichmentione it:-

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 79#p246479

I bet SusanneH will be able to tell you were to get it smile

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 03 Mar 08 2:17pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

And here I am wink

I have seen it at my Asian grocer recently. I suspect that you will get it in more upscale supermarkets or delicatessen places - e.g. the food floor of Karstadt. Also check the international sections of big mainstream supermarkets.
Sometimes you'd be surprised at the finds you can have at your local Rewe too though.

There is a shop for British food here in Dortmund, where I would probably go (have not checked it out yet, but heard of it through friends who love it). http://www.little-britain.de/indexD.htm (Dortmund was in the British zone though, and some of the guys have stayed on).
Maybe google and see if there is anything like that near you?

Last edited by SusanneH (Mon 03 Mar 08 2:19pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 03 Mar 08 3:09pm

Torilla

Forum champ

I looked for it in now every shop I came... SadlyI couldn't find it anywhere. That english shop looks quite interesting but I won't be able to get to Dortmung =/ , I'll look for a substitude...

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 03 Mar 08 5:19pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I am sure there will be places that stock it nearer by (I think you said somewhere else that you are from Bavaria?).
Check if there is a place to order online maybe.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 03 Mar 08 5:26pm

Torilla

Forum champ

Of course there are plenty of possibilties to order online but thats to expensive =/ Well, I'll manage to live without. But thanks for your effort. Your the best ones  thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 03 Mar 08 6:45pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

In case of desperation .....

I've dug out the following from the web - I can't tell you how good a clone any of them is. Most seem to come from Canada.

Try them at your own risk smile

====================================

H. P. Steak Sauce Recipe
HP Sauce to the British is like Ketchup to every North American. It took me years to create this clone, it's original, and it's perfect. Try it for yourself. Recipe volume can be increased 4 times without flavour loss.
by Mr. Sauce

2 hours | 25 min prep | SERVES 5 , 500 ml

1     cup water
1     cup white vinegar
1/2     cup tomato paste (1 small can)
3/4     cup dark corn syrup
1/4     cup frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4     cup pitted dates (chopped fine)
3     tablespoons blackstrap molasses
3     tablespoons apple juice
3     tablespoons tamarind pulp
3/4     cup apple cider vinegar
1/2     teaspoon onion powder
1/2     teaspoon whole cloves
1/2     teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/2     teaspoon cardamom (ground)
1/2     teaspoon garlic powder
1/2     teaspoon mustard seeds
1     teaspoon coarse salt
1     inch cinnamon sticks

1. In a large pot, add water, white vinegar, tomato paste, corn syrup, orange juice concentrate, dates, molasses, apple juice, and tamarind pulp. Stir to blend. Over medium heat and covered, bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and simmer covered for 15 - 20 minutes.
   2. Using a spice grinder, thoroughly grind onion powder, cloves, black peppercorns, cardamom, garlic powder, mustard seed, cayenne, salt, and cinnamon.
   3. After simmering in step #1, use an immersion Blender to purée mixture and reduce lumps. Add ground spice mixture to pot, stir to blend and simmer (covered) for another 30 - 45 minutes.
   4. Add cider vinegar to pot, stir to blend and return to a simmer. When pot has reached a simmer, remove from heat and strain hot mixture through a wire strainer into a clean pot. Keep liquid, discard pulp. Rinse original pot and restrain mixture back into original pot, return to heat and simmer until thick.
   5. Ladle hot sauce mixture into hot, prepared sealable bottles and seal. Allow to cool. Keeps indefinitely in cupboard, refrigerate after opening.

====================================

HP Sauce Recipe

This is a clone for the famous English "Houses of Parliament" steak sauce & a must have recipe for all canadians living outside the country. I got it from a co-worker many years ago & haven't used the store-bought product since; however, I do keep my current supply in an old bottle for that authentic look (lol). If you prefer more of a bite, increase the tabasco!!

by CountryLady

1¼ hours | 15 min prep | 4 cups

10     tomatoes, chopped
1     cup brown sugar
1     onion, chopped
1     lemon, sliced
1/4     cup white vinegar
1     tablespoon salt
1     tablespoon allspice
1     teaspoon pepper
1     tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/4     teaspoon hot sauce (I use Tabasco)

1. Combine all ingredients in a dutch oven.
   2. Bring to a boil, lower heat& cook, uncovered, for an hour, stirring occasionally.
   3. Strain through a food mill & bottle in hot, sterilized jars.

=====================================

House of Parliament Sauce

4 pounds apples - cut up
1 pound prune plums - cut up and pitted
2 large onions - peeled and cut up
3 pints malt vinegar
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup table salt
2 lbs. sugar
6-7 1 lb. jars

Put apples, plums, and onions into large pot and cover with water. Cook until tender. Put through apple saucer or sieve into large pot.

Add malt vinegar, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cayenne pepper, table salt, and sugar. Cook on low heat until reduced and thick.

Can be canned in sterilized jars or kept in fridge indefinitely.

I make this all the time and everyone says it is better than store bought. Hope you enjoy it!
    Preparation Time: 3-5 Hours     Serves: 6-7 lbs.

H.P. Style Sauce

Ingredients
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) Sarson’s or Heinz Malt Vinegar
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) Heinz Tomato Ketchup
• 45 ml (3 Tblspns) Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
• 45 ml (3 Tblspns) Thai Style Medium strength Chilli Sauce (Sri Ratcha/Flying Horse etc)
• 50 g Raisins
• 3 each Pitted Prunes (or Dates if available)
• 15 ml (1 Tblspn) Tamarind Pulp (if available)
• 15 ml (1 Tblpsn) Salad Oil (Add the oil before adding the Molasses as this will prevent the molasses from sticking to the measuring spoon)
• 40 g (3 Tblspns) Molasses
• 5.00 ml (1 tspn) Salt
• 1.25 ml (1/4 tspn) Ground Black Pepper
• 2.50 ml (1/2 tspn) Ground Nutmeg
• 2.50 ml (1/2 tspn) Ground Coleman’s Mustard Powder
• 5.00 ml (1 tspn) Ground Thyme
• 1.25 ml (1/4 tspn slightly heaped) Cayenne Pepper
• 2.50 ml (1/2 tspn) Ground Mace
• 2.50 ml (1/2 tspn) Ground Ginger
• 15 ml (1 Tblspn) Onion Powder (not Onion Salt)
• 15 ml (1 Tblspn) Cornflour
• 60 ml (4 Tblspns) Cold Potable Water

Method
• Add all ingredients (except the water) to a blender and liquidise until the raisins, prunes (or dates), and tamarind (if used/available) are reduced sufficiently (small flecks).
• Pour/scrape the mixture into a wok or large saucepan
• Add the cold water to the blender and turn on to help clean out the remaining mixture.
• Cook over a low heat – stirring constantly – until the colour has changed and the mixture has thickened (10 to 15 minutes).
• Pour into sterilised bottles and allow to cool (the bottles can be stood in a bowl of ice/cold water if desired). Place the bottle tops/caps onto the bottles but do not tighten down until the mixture is cool. Note: - try to avoid air bubbles forming when filling the bottles. If they occur a sterilised knitting needle etc. can be used to remove them.
Note: the sauce will thicken once it has cooled down so avoid over thickening it at the beginning stages.

HP Sauce Recipe

This recipe was given to me by a lady in a checkout line at a grocery store in my hometown. I have tried it and have had excellent results both as a steak sauce and as a bbq sauce. Recently I tried it over oven baked pork sides ribs. I just used a little corn starch to thicken it and it was delicious. A real hit!

Homemade HP Sauce

1 pint brown vinegar
2 tsp. mustard (bottled)
2 tsp. white sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. molasses
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. cloves

Mix all ingredients together and boil for 20 minutes. Bottle and store in refrigerator.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 04 Mar 08 2:35pm

Torilla

Forum champ

LoL!

Nice one smile These guys must really really love this sauc big_smile

Thanks a thousand times=)

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 04 Mar 08 3:58pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Torilla - there are websites devoted to nothing else but discussing HP Sauce smile

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 04 Mar 08 9:16pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

puke  puke  puke

I can't stand the horrible stuff!!! tastes like battery acid...

The Mrs likes the stuff.... she has no taste!!! whistle

Likes (0)