forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 06 Mar 08 2:31pm

Chesh

Member since Tue 04 Mar 08

Breast of Lamb

looked kinda nice in the butchers so i got a peice... anyoneknow what i could do with it?

i thought about undoing the string and stuffing it with a herby kind of stuffing mix.. with a few sliced peppers and sh*take mushrooms...

your thoughts would be appreciated smile

Chesh

Last edited by Chesh (Thu 06 Mar 08 2:34pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 06 Mar 08 11:42pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Breast of Lamb

Here's some advice from "Old Scrote"

Roast Breast of Lamb with all the trimmings.

Breast of lamb is a strange joint which is pretty nearly inedible unless you have this recipe. It is the bit of the sheep they don't include in expensive lamb chops because there is hardly any meat on it. It is a thin strip about 2 feet long and 6 inches wide and includes a big wedge of fat at the top and the lower part of the ribs back to the belly. When Scrote was unemployed and living on social security, he & I ate this nearly every day. We found a butcher who sold them for 3p each, or 4p for a big one. OK, this was in 1974, but even then that was only the price of a can of tomatoes. We weren't slumming either- done like this it is delicious, a full sunday lamb roast with all the trimmings. All it requires is a bit of work on your part and your sharp knife.

First of all, get your breast of lamb. Get a whole one from a butcher in one piece, the bigger the better. For some reason, supermarkets, although they do occasionally sell breast of lamb, feel a need to take an axe to them first and they chop them into bits. This may be so that they can get them into those cellophane packets, but it ruins the joint. Get a whole one. Next, with your sharp knife slit around and under each rib (without piercing through to the outside), and bone out all the ribs (which are joined at the breast bone) in one piece, leaving all the meat behind still in one piece. Make sure you get soft ribs as well- you can feel them by flexing the meat. Cut off any excessive fat at the front, and throw away all the waste. Where you cut along the ribs you should be able to push your hand in and make a deep pocket for the stuffing.
Stuffing

Now make the sage and onion stuffing. Take two slices of fresh or stale bread (wholemeal or white) and chop finely into crumbs. Chop a small onion very finely and mix it in. Add salt, black pepper and dried sage. Break an egg into it and mix thoroughly but lightly. (Do not use a food processor to do this- it will reduce the breadcrumbs to a dense sludge). You now have a bowlful of stuffing.

Lay the boned breast of lamb out on a board, and cover it with the stuffing pushing it into every available crevice. We want to get a lot of stuffing into this joint, but we don't want it all to fall out again during the cooking. Now roll the joint up from the thin end so the fat is on the outside. You can truss it up with string but Scrote generally finds that he can secure it with just one or two skewers through it if he is careful. If you want, at this stage you can make little stabs with the knife and push rosemary leaves into them under the skin for extra flavour. This is a joint you stuff to within an inch of its life.

Put the joint in an oven-pan in a medium to low oven and roast the joint slowly for two hours, so that it has been cooked tender right through, but it is crackly and crisp on the outside and the fat has been rendered out of it. Put the roast potatoes in after about an hour. Prepare the vegetables you are going to have with it (brussel sprouts or carrots or green beans or whatever) and put them on to boil about 20 minutes before the joint is due out.

Do not attempt to carve the joint at table, unless you like your food cold. Carve the meat beforehand by simply cutting the whole joint into thin slices, handling them carefully so the stuffing doesn't fall out. Then arrange the slices on a serving dish and put them back into the oven for a few minutes to get hot again until you are ready to serve.
Gravy

Make the gravy. This joint does not make good gravy because not much in the way of meat juices escape from it, but there should be enough to make something. Drain most of the fat Don't pour hot fat down the sink- it melts plastic and sets solid in the drains. from the roasting pan, leaving the burnt on meat juices. Put the pan on the heat and throw in about a teaspoonful of flour. Mix it about just as though you were making a sauce and then add a big cupful of water, for instance some of the drainings from the boiled vegetables. Stir it about a bit to incorporate the meat juices and bring it to the boil to thicken it. Taste it and if necessary, season with some salt and pepper. You now have about half a pint of gravy- keep it hot, and pour into a jug at the last moment before serving. All you need to do now is drain the remainder of your vegetables and serve everything on to the plates, piping hot. Put a pot of mint sauce on the table to go with the lamb.

Likes (2)

#3 Thu 06 Mar 08 11:50pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

And a recipe from Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall

Breast of lamb Ste Ménéhould

1 breast of lamb
2 carrots, sliced
2 onions, sliced
a glass of white wine
a glass of water
a sprig of rosemary, or thyme, or
   both
salt, fresh ground black pepper

to finish:
mustard
one egg, beaten
dried breadcrumbs
100g  butter, melted

The breast of lamb is the giveaway cut of the animal (in some butchers’ shops literally), yet most British cooks these days have probably never got to grips with one.  If that includes you, you’re missing out.

This dish, originally brought to our attention by Elizabeth David, is the one to make you a convert.  It’s something that will delight anyone who is ever excited by the words “crispy” and “breadcrumbs” in a recipe.

Place the breast of lamb in an oven-proof dish or casserole, cut into two halves if necessary to fit, with the carrots, onions and herbs scattered under and over it and the wine and water poured over. Season well with salt and pepper and cover the dish with foil (or its lid).

Bake in an oven preheated to 140ºC for two and half to three hours, removing the dish to turn and baste the breast two or three times, until the meat is completely  tender.   

As soon as the meat is cool enough to handle,  slip the rib bones out of the meat by tugging gently with your fingers. Press the boneless breasts between two chopping boards, or two flat plates, with a weight on top (a  few full jam jars or large tomato tins will do). Leave in a cool larder or the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight.

To finish the dish, slice the cold,  pressed breast meat into two-finger width, one-finger length slices. Brush the slices with a little mustard, dip in beaten egg, and press firmly into a bowl of breadcrumbs so they are well coated. Arrange on a wire rack in a roasting tin, brush each with a little melted butter, and place in the centre of an oven pre-heated to 180º C. After 15 minutes, turn on the oven grill (if it doesn’t have one whack the oven up to maximum heat), to get them very crisp (a touch blackened but not  incinerated), first on one side, then the other.

Serve on hot plates, to waiting guests, with a piquant sauce, such as tartare, salsa verde, or simply a very mustardy vinaigrette. To make this a meal, rather than a starter or snack, extend the accompaniments  to a pile of creamy mash and a watercress and orange salad.

Likes (2)

#4 Thu 06 Mar 08 11:53pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Breast of Lamb is really cheap - £1 for a full breast at my local farm shop.

And here is one I made last month:-

Breast of lamb with tartare sauce     
        by Brian Turner
from Saturday Kitchen

Serves 6

Preparation time overnight

Cooking time over 2 hours

Ingredients
1 x 1.35kg/3 lb piece breast of lamb
2 carrots
2 onions
1 sprig thyme
280ml/½ pint chicken stock
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 glass white wine
salt and freshly ground black pepper
seasoned flour
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 free-range eggs
340g/12oz fresh white breadcrumbs
1 bunch chopped fresh mint
vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the tartare sauce (optional)
280ml/½ pint mayonnaise
60g/2oz chopped capers
85g/3oz chopped gherkins
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
half lemon, juice only

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/320F/Gas Mark 2.
2. Put the piece of lamb into a ovenproof dish that has a tight fitting lid.
3. Cut the carrots into quarters lengthways and cut the onions into quarters. Put into the dish with the lamb.
4. Add the thyme, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce and wine.
5. Season and cover the dish with its lid. Transfer to the oven and cook for around three hours, basting every 30 minutes and turning the meat regularly. The meat should be completely tender when cooked enough.
6. Remove from the oven and leave to rest. After 15 minutes remove the meat from the stock. Push out the bones and discard.
7. Loosely wrap the meat in cling film and place between two heavy chopping boards. Place in the fridge and leave for a few hours or preferably overnight.
8. Remove the meat from the cling film and cut into strips.
9. In a clean bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the mustard. In a separate bowl place the seasoned flour. In another bowl mix the breadcrumbs together with the mint.
10. Dip the strips of lamb into the seasoned flour and then into the mustard-egg mixture and finally into the breadcrumbs.
11. Roll each strip carefully in your hands to make sure the breadcrumbs are well stuck on.
12. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat enough vegetable oil for deep frying (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended).
13. Deep-fry the strips until crispy and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel.
14. For the tartare sauce (if using), mix all the ingredients together.
15. Serve the hot crispy lamb strips with the tartare sauce (if using).

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 07 Mar 08 5:38am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Stuffed Breast of Lamb

Ingredients   
2 breasts of lamb, about 1½ lbs. each
salt
pepper
2 tbs chopped onions
2 tbs chopped celery
1 tbs butter
1 cup soft bread crumbs
½ cup diced apples
¼ cup seedless raisins
½ cup chopped nutmeats or water chestnuts
¼ tsp sage or poultry seasoning

1. Place one lamb breast in shallow baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

2. In medium-sized skillet, sauté onion and celery in butter. Add ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ingredients. Spoon stuffing over first lamb breast. Cover with second breast and sprinkle the breast with salt and pepper. Secure lamb breasts together with skewers, if desired.

3. Bake in oven preheated to 325° for about 2 hours or until tender.

Baked Breast of Lamb

Ingredients 
3 lbs breast of lamb
1 tsp whole cloves
¼ cup honey
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tsp salt 

1. Preheat oven to 325°.

2. Place lamb breasts on rack in shallow roasting pan. Bake 1 hour and 45 minutes. Drain off excess fat.

3. Combine cloves, honey, lemon juice and salt; then pour over lamb. Bake about 20 minutes more

Mint Stuffed Breast of Lamb

2 x 900g (2lb) Lamb Breasts
110g (4 oz) Fresh Wholemeal Breadcrumbs
1 medium Onion
1 Egg
15g (½ oz) Butter or Dripping
2 tbsp Milk
2 tbsp Fresh Mint
2 tbsp Parsley
Salt & Black Pepper
Sugar

Pre-heat oven to 230°C; 450°F: Gas 8.
Bone, trim and flatten the meat.
Melt the butter or dripping in a frying pan, fry the finely chopped onion until transparent.
Beat the egg with the milk and mix in the breadcrumbs.
Add the onion, chopped herbs and a pinch sugar.
Divide the mixture equally between the two breasts of lamb and spreading it evenly.
Roll up the lamb as tightly as possible and securing with string and season.
Cover with foil and roast for 40 minutes.
Remove the foil to allow the lamb can brown and roast for another 15 minutes.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 20 Apr 09 6:59pm

La Coccinelle

Occupation Running B&B and private catering.
From Aveyron Gorges, sw France
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

I first came across Lamb cooked a la St Menehould ( I have omitted the accents as they confuse) on a programme by the 1st TV cook, Philip Harben. Some years later, went to St Menehould to try it. It's a really good dish and a surprise too. Many years later, his son was my son's house master, and he cooked a mean curry for parents' evenings which were always very well attended. Can't imagine why !!

Did I imagine it, or did Jamie cook a slow cooked sandwich of stuffed breasts of lamb recently on his TV prog. I didn't bother to take details as I have his At Home book and I can't find the recipe anywhere. Help.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 20 Apr 09 8:02pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I've done the one that Geoff printed with the tartar sauce.  I really liked it.  I have a few in my freezer that I think I'll do that way again.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 07 Jul 10 8:00pm

bizman

Occupation full time blogger
From tamworth
Member since Mon 30 Jan 06

my mum bless her, really loved breast of lamb, i only actually saw her eat it once, but i honestly never saw her enjoy food so much! i think because it is and always has been such a cheap cut of meat it was one of the affordable treats she had growing up.

when she cooked it for me she cooked it the way that her mum did, the complete opposite of anything that is on this thread!

as i recall it was in the oven at about 200c for 40 mins and obviously it cam out chewy and overcooked and quite tough, it was really hard work to eat it, but my god it was tastey!!!!

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 01 Aug 11 1:56am

Leon2458

Occupation Chef
Member since Mon 01 Aug 11

Hi this is my first post on here, I have been a chef for 10 years and this is my favourite recipe for breast of lamb.
Brown of the meat in a hot oiled pan to seal it and set to one side meanwhile chop an equal weight of white onions as to the lamb. So 1 kilo of lamb = 1 kilo of onion. Slowly cook the onions with a little butter to soften them a little. Get a casserole dish and put a layer of onions in the bottom, just enough to cover the bottom of the dish about 2cm thick then place the lamb on top of the onions in the casserole dish.
Place the remaining onions around the lamb and make sure you have enough to cover the lamb. Add about half a pint of vegetable stock and 2 table spoons of White wine, season with salt and pepper.
Get a piece of parchment or baking paper and screw in to a ball and run it under a cold water tap then squeeze off the excess water and place it in the casserole dish creating a lid then then place the casserole pot lid on.
Put in to an oven @ 190 c  for three hours but but times may vary depending on your oven so keep an eye on it after 2 hrs 30 mins.
Once cooked and tender remove the lamb and leave to rest.
Strain the onion from the stock through a sieve or colander and a little butter to the onions with a few pinches of White pepper to taste leave them to colour slightly.
While the onions cook reduce the stock by half or more if you want a thicker sauce.
I like to add a tea spoon of mint sauce to the stock reduction just before serving.
Plate the dish by slicing 2cm thick slices of the lamb breast served on a bed of the fried onions and drizzle the sauce around the plate and over the lamb.
It's a simple and really tasty comfort food dish, best of all it costs about 1.15 a person depending how well you know your butcher smile

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 01 Aug 11 2:22am

Leon2458

Occupation Chef
Member since Mon 01 Aug 11

Hi sorry I forgot to mention it is a rolled breast of lamb you will need for my dish, ask your butcher to do this for you if you are unsure.
When reducing the stock add a sprig of thyme and a rosemary to flavour. Enjoy

Likes (0)