forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 06 Mar 08 3:05pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Fresh yeast to dried yeast conversion needed, plz

Received a publisher's "freebie" book yesterday to review (Yippee!!!).

It's about handmade bread which I've been making for 30+ years.Somewhat modified in recent years by the Magimix and a bread machine on the dough cycle, I admit.

9/10 recipes call for fresh yeast which I have not seen for 20+ years. There is no conversion chart (a "minus" for me on that) and I wouldn't trust my dusty brain to try to remember as I plan to cook several random recipes to assist with my review.

Can anyone tell me how much dried yeast does 1.5 (one and one half) teaspoons of fresh yeast, crumbled yeast equate to?

Thank you, once again smile

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Thu 06 Mar 08 6:04pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Fresh yeast to dried yeast conversion needed, plz

You should be able to get fresh yeast locally, either in supermarkets or at any bakery.

A friendly word at your local bakery and they will usually give you a big block for free - and its the same at supermarkets here who bake their own bread.

The conversion between amounts of fresh yeast and dried yeast depends on the particular dried yeast you have - the instructions will usually be on the packet. Generally, 15 gm fresh yeast = 7 gm dried yeast which will do about 750 gm of bread flour. Just halve the wight or halve the volume and it should be OK. Check the back of your dried yeast packet or further info.

One of the beauties of yeast is that you don't need exact quantities - since it reproduces itself very rapidly, if you use too little, it just takes a little longer to rise.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 06 Mar 08 6:51pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi Geoff. Thanks for your reply. Have asked at the "Mum and Dad" bakeries and at the franchises. They get their pre-prepared ingredients from Asia.

There are artisan bakeries in Sydney, but not in this "white bread" area. Will approach them when am in the area, though they keep their "secrets" close to their chests. The most written about are French some of whom studied under Poillaine (sp).

But maybe a "Bonjour" etc might pave the way "and" if I buy a loaf or two of their bread.

Thanks,
Maree.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#4 Thu 06 Mar 08 11:19pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

In most German recipe books they call for 2 envelopes (7g each) of dried yeast or one fresh yeast cake (42 g) for 1 kilo flour.

Nowadays they have fresh yeast in the supermarkets, but I remember when I was a child my mom got it from the bakery across the street. (That was before they got the stuff from China...)

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 12 Mar 08 4:14am

Sconniegal

Occupation diplomat's wife (nuf said)
From Monteal & New Hampshire
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

Hey, Just registered and already here is a really helpful hint.  Thanks for asking and posting all of you.  Montreal is a fresh yeast wasteland.  For the last 2 Christmases I've been reduced to making stollen using DRIED yeast.  Boy was I spoiled in the UK.  Been wondering what the proper conversion was.   thumbsup  This is such a great website.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 12 Mar 08 1:20pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Welcome to the forums then Sconniegal! wave

(You missed the R in Montreal in your profile)

Likes (0)