forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 23 Jul 08 4:42pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Re: Tin plated copper pans. Keep them or not????

I started this diatriba, but I really wouldn't know how to help you. Have a little patience and ther is fior fiore di esperti who will illuminate on how where and who will come to your soccorso
ciao
maddalena big_smile

Likes (0)

#22 Wed 23 Jul 08 5:18pm

adajeannie

From South Africa
Member since Tue 27 May 08

i just wanted to say that i went to the culinary shop here by us to look at some copper roasting pans and was so shocked at the price.  A normal roasting pan was almost R4000.  That must be well over 400 pounds or $ 500.  i left with my tail between my legs......needless to say i will have to save for one of those.

Likes (0)

#23 Wed 23 Jul 08 6:43pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

A very old aunt of mine has a large kitchen with walls absolutely covered by hanging copper pans and lids, I must say they are bright like lights and the old cucina seems to live like when there were at least 20 people going around. I think I could take some fotos to demonstrate that it's true eheheh

Likes (0)

#24 Wed 19 Nov 08 10:33am

ChiefTaster

Member since Tue 18 Nov 08

Hi - wonder if you could help.

My better half loves cooking and fortunately for me is very good at it - hence my role as chief taster.

She has always been keen on copper pans and after some research (including reading this thread) I came across the site below which sells copper kitchenware made by Pierre Vergnes.  They look to be good quality walled with 2 mm of pure copper and tinned on the inside

edit:  hmm - wont let me post a links in my first few posts. 
Site is:   gourmet-web.com/shop/kupfertopf/

I’m thinking of getting two deeper copper sauce pans (14cm and 20cm) and a shallower sauté pan (24cm) with lids to match.

Q:  Does this sound like a good mix of sizes.  There is a set of 5 pans at 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20cm but I’m not sure that she’ll use all these pans – particularly the smaller ones.

Second question is about a jam and chutneys which my wife is into in a big way.  The same site has a “Bassine à confiture martelée haute” which I’m guessing is a jam pot.  It is described as a 1.2mm hammered copper kettle with handles.  If you want to have a look, using the same site as above, select "Cauldron, kettle" from the categories menu in the top left (apols for not being able to post links).

Q:  Is this the right pot for jam and chutneys and any recommendations re size.  They sell 31, 34, 37 and 40cm pans.  We have a big kitchen with a 6 burner cooker and are a young family of 5.  I don’t want to get something that is too big she wont use.  I thought about the 34cm model ?

Also, for a 25% surcharge they will tin the kettle.  Is this needed for Jams and Chutneys?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Likes (0)

#25 Wed 19 Nov 08 11:24am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Thanks for the pointer - those are great looking pans, and well made to, as well as being surprisingly reasonably priced!

Your suggested mix of pans looks about right - but get her the set if your really want to treat her smile The “Bassine à confiture martelée haute” is indeed a jam pan (Literally a "hammered high -sided (copper) jam basin" - it might be best to get it tinned if you intend to cook chutneys and pickles in it (because these are acidic).

The thing to consider with regard to size is particularly the weight when full - and the space on the hob. The bare weight of the 34cm is 2.5 kg, but when half full, it will weigh upwards of 12 Kg - best make sure that it's possible to slide it sideways off the hob onto a worktop.

Just looking at that site - I think I might drop a few hints for Christmas presents smile

Last edited by GeoffP (Wed 19 Nov 08 11:24am)

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 19 Nov 08 11:45am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Yes copper pots are the best pot there is! My grandma has one but not for use, just decoration. Where did all the good pots, that my grandma used to cook in, gone?

Maybe they said it was harmful just to make them buy the new stuff...shame...

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 19 Nov 08 11:53am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Copper is expensive, very expensive. It can also be harmful to use as a pan (see the link i posted on the first page). Cheaper materials like aluminium have been more common in the last 50 odd years. They have given way to stainless steel and aluminium with non-stick surfaces.

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 19 Nov 08 11:54am

ChiefTaster

Member since Tue 18 Nov 08

Thanks very much for the rapid response.

Good point about the weight.  Looks like I'll have to up my job description to JamPanLifter as well.

Will contact the site now and ask them to get tinning.

All the best

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 19 Nov 08 11:57am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I have an aluminium jam pan that my great grandmother used. It's thick but not heavy...it even has the handle they used to hang it over the open fire. I use it and it's great.

Likes (0)

#30 Wed 19 Nov 08 3:46pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

White Rabbit - thats exactly like my Jam Pan - does yours have a pouring spout, with a handle opposite for tipping?

Likes (0)