forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 20 Mar 08 8:54pm

Sweet Tomaita

Occupation Sales Assistant/Housewife
From Cambridgeshire, East England
Member since Thu 13 Mar 08

Garlic Butter - Please Help

I was wondering if anyone could help me please, I love garlic bread and would love to make my own fresh rather than buy it from the shop. I've tried a number of different ways including rubbing the bread with garlic and even tried garlic paste once.

Neither turned out very well. Getting the flavour of the garlic to stick and actually being able to taste it seems near impossible to me. I'd love to make a "garlic butter" just like the kind you find on the shop bought garlic breads.

Does anyone have a recipe that I could use, please?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 20 Mar 08 10:26pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Garlic Butter - Please Help

Crush garlic cloves and mix into softened butter, the amount of butter to garlic will depend on your taste so maybe have some bread handy to test it on as you make it.. You can also add a bit of chopped parsley or dried oregano. You can make a large amount and freeze the remainder for later. This also works with other flavoured butters and they are often referred to as compound butter.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 20 Mar 08 10:34pm

DominicNoBe

Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

Sweet Tomaita wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could help me please, I love garlic bread and would love to make my own fresh rather than buy it from the shop. I've tried a number of different ways including rubbing the bread with garlic and even tried garlic paste once.

Neither turned out very well. Getting the flavour of the garlic to stick and actually being able to taste it seems near impossible to me. I'd love to make a "garlic butter" just like the kind you find on the shop bought garlic breads.

Does anyone have a recipe that I could use, please?

You can take fresh garlic and mince it very fine...and then rub it into coarse salt with a mortar and pestle or the back of your knife...then you mix it with soft butter...slather on bread...griddle...or bake...delicious...

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 20 Mar 08 10:38pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

4 tablespoons of butter/marg
1 tablespoon of garlic purée (make yourself from crushing lots of garlic or buy some in a jar)
2 tsp dried oregano,
1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper,

Mix the above ingredients into a paste.
Get a french stick or similar and cut slices down into it almost all the way through but not quite. Put a big spoon of the butter mix into each cut pushing well in, rub any thats left on the top.
Place the french stick (cut in half to fit in oven ) into silver foil and seal up leaving the package loose around the bread.
Put in a medium oven for about 10 mins, then open packet and turn oven up to max heat for about 5 mins.

Steve

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 20 Mar 08 10:49pm

DominicNoBe

AskCy wrote:

4 tablespoons of butter/marg
1 tablespoon of garlic purée (make yourself from crushing lots of garlic or buy some in a jar)
2 tsp dried oregano,
1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper,

Mix the above ingredients into a paste.
Get a french stick or similar and cut slices down into it almost all the way through but not quite. Put a big spoon of the butter mix into each cut pushing well in, rub any thats left on the top.
Place the french stick (cut in half to fit in oven ) into silver foil and seal up leaving the package loose around the bread.
Put in a medium oven for about 10 mins, then open packet and turn oven up to max heat for about 5 mins.

Steve

ACE RECIPE!  Have used that one a lot in my life before no garlic.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 20 Mar 08 10:52pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire

I do it a lot to go with pasta dishes.. lasagne, spag bol etc.. big chunk of garlic bread on the side.....

and I'm drooling now but fortunately I've just baked two big baguette loaves and the pans on with the bolognese sauce reducing down as we speak(type, read??? whatever we are doing )

Steve

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 20 Mar 08 10:56pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire

Might I also point out, get some flour throw in some yeast, olive oil, salt and pepper, mix and kneed into a dough. Roll into thin flat discs (like a pizza)  spread the butter mix all over leaving extra here and there, throw over some finely sliced onion (red or white) a few fresh basil leaves and a light sprinkling of grated cheese (mozzerlla, chedder so its will melt on), in the oven for about 15 mins and you get what takeaways call "garlic bread supreme"...

(just being on this forum is making me hungry....  mrgreen )

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 20 Mar 08 10:58pm

DominicNoBe

AskCy wrote:

Might I also point out, get some flour throw in some yeast, olive oil, salt and pepper, mix and kneed into a dough. Roll into thin flat discs (like a pizza)  spread the butter mix all over leaving extra here and there, throw over some finely sliced onion (red or white) a few fresh basil leaves and a light sprinkling of grated cheese (mozzerlla, chedder so its will melt on), in the oven for about 15 mins and you get what takeaways call "garlic bread supreme"...

(just being on this forum is making me hungry....  mrgreen )

also mouth-watering

add the basil as soon as it comes out of the oven and it will be even better...

Last edited by DominicNoBe (Thu 20 Mar 08 10:58pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 21 Mar 08 12:09am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

The other way to make garlic bread is to take a baguette, and slice it, almost all the way through, at about 1 to 1 1/2 inch intervals.

Open each cut slightly apart, and spread garlic butter between the slice. When all done, take the whole baguette - or in halves if your oven is too small, and put it on a sheet of foil. Wrap the baguette in foil, and place it in a preheated oven (200C 400F gas mark 6).

Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes to crisp up, and for the garlic to melt into the bread. Take it to the table in the foil, and unwrap, tear and share while still hot.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 21 Mar 08 2:00am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Something I do occasionally that is ever so slightly decadent is to take a baguette, spread it with garlic butter, sprinkle some grated provolone cheese and then some cooked bacon that has been chopped roughly, wrap in foil and place in the oven for ten to fifteen minutes for everything to heat through and become meltingly delicious.

Likes (0)