Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 19 Aug 08 7:11pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Re: what the law says about keeping cockerels

Well, not exactly the same experience but...

One of the neighbours back home in France, just a few houses down after the field, had those birds.. cant think of the English name for them... they're really pretty and have that big tail that's made of blue and green feathers... know what I mean?

Well, he was breeding them etc. god knows what for - dont ask me - but you could hear "Leon" "Leon" "Leon" screamed all day long... That used to driiiiiiiiive me nuts!

But now that I'm living in an apartment and not in a detached house in the middle of the countryside, I would give ANYTHING for the birds instead of my stupid neighbour playing guitar at 3.00am......  evil  If at least he was musically gifted....!

Frenchie

Last edited by French_vanilla (Tue 19 Aug 08 7:12pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 19 Aug 08 7:25pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

I recently stayed on a farm that had some young cockerells living outside the window.  The thing was the family were used to him and could sleep through, but when you're not used to it, you get disturbed by it.

The farmers wife was a little concerned, so was going to put something up to cover up their run, to keep them quieter during the night.

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 19 Aug 08 7:41pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Frenchie - those were Peacocks - Paons in French, if I recall correctly (which I probably don't!)

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 26 Aug 08 11:09pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Hey Geoff... thanks for that...

Yeah, they were peacocks.... really pretty but the noise...!

Pfouh... I sometimes wondered if mum didnt feed us one of those on some occasions as Sunday roasts... mind you, when you're 7, I dont know if you'd see the difference between a roasted chicken and a roasted peacock,...?!?!?  lol

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 27 Aug 08 3:26am

Rustie

Member since Wed 27 Aug 08

I was going to say the same as the person above, you only need to put rooster to bed in a chook house that has a low roof so he can't stretch his neck up to crow!

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 04 Sep 08 11:52pm

Cockadoodledoo

Member since Thu 04 Sep 08

Hi, I am about to take the school cockerals home as our school bought eggs and all of the kiddies watched them hatch etc and it turns out there are only 2 hens out of 6....
Being an animal lover I am taking them home and I think the school are keeping one cockeral....
Does anyone have any advice for me to stop them fighting????
Was going to get them castrated (STRICTLY FOR HORMONAL PURPOSES) but have just read that it's illegal in the UK????
How should I house them?
Many thanks, a soon to be proud Cockeral owner. lol

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 04 Sep 08 11:55pm

Cockadoodledoo

Member since Thu 04 Sep 08

Hi, I am about to take the school cockerals home as our school bought eggs and all of the kiddies watched them hatch etc and it turns out there are only 2 hens out of 6....
Being an animal lover I am taking them home and I think the school are keeping one cockeral....
Does anyone have any advice for me to stop them fighting????
Was going to get them castrated (STRICTLY FOR HORMONAL PURPOSES) but have just read that it's illegal in the UK????
How should I house them?
Many thanks, a soon to be proud Cockeral owner.
help

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 06 Sep 08 6:08pm

Tired

Member since Sat 06 Sep 08

Hi, firstly I have no objections to responsible pet owners having copious amounts of chickens in their back yards as pets and providing their family and friends with free range eggs. However, people who live in a residential areas, housing estates, should no own cockerels if they are not prepared to curtail the cockerels excessive crowing from the early hours of the morning, seven days a week, and constantly on and off throughout the day and evenings, as the constant noise of crowing cockerels will cause problems for everyone.

My neighbour owns three cockerels (I have no idea why, you don't need cockerels to get hens to lay eggs) and up to thirty chickens, and yes we live on a housing estate. Although, many of the neigbours have politely told the cockerel owner neighbour that they would appreciate not being woken at 5am on Saturdays and Sundays, the neighbour does nothing to stop the cockerels crowing. Even though he could cover the shed windows and let in the light at a more reasonable hour of the morning instead of at dawn he choses not to.

I have two dogs, and if my dogs barked all day I could expect to be repremanded and fined, and rightly so. Yet, this neighbour's cockerels disturb 21 households in a cul-de-sac but because the nieghbour isn't disturbed by the noise his cockerels make he doesn't see the problem for everyone else.

Nobody wants to see the neighbour's pets (cockerels) taken away, but if he could just be responsible about the times he lets the cockerels crow, esp on weekends
we could have all lived with it, afterall, we all make noise. Personally, I no longer enjoy being in the garden on a weekend with what sounds like three party blowers constantly setting the other off, especially if I am woken at 5.45am on a Sunday!The neighbour will go out for the day and leave the rest of us listening to the annoying noise of the cockerels crowing all day, yet he is not prepared to listen to it himself, what a selfish man.

What began as a nice idea is really turning bad now. The neighbour being reluctent to restain the THREE cockerels crowing has now been reported to the dept for environment and noise as a statutory noise nuisence.

It is quite unbelievable that in an attempt to get this neigbhour to be more considerate the county council has intervened, there has also been severel visits by the PSO's (police support officers) have been called to settle neighbourhood disputes over the cockerel noise, the dept of planning, the housing association plus the parish council officers have all been involved in trying to help home owners and tennants resolve the issue of cockerel noise but to no avail.

Now, the dept for environment and noise have submitted details of the noise to a pre-court hearing and the neighbour is likely to pay a hefty fine or lose ALL his birds if he still refuses to stop the cockerels crowing at all hours of the day.

I know this all sounds a bit harsh, but I want you to know both sides of the story. Enjoy your chickens, ducks and whatever pets you have, but please if you live on
a housing estate consider some of the problems cockerel noise can cause between neighbours, it's horrible falling out with neighbours over such trivial things but tempers get frayed and things get said that cannot be retracted or forgiven.

Good luck

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 21 Sep 08 2:14am

Happy Hens

Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

I also have a noisy cockeral, fortunatley i live on a farm with no neighbours to complain, however i do like to sleep past 4am in the morning, i found if i block out the light in the window in the hen house Elwood doesn't crow as he thinks it's still night time, it could be worth a try, if it doesn't work try bribing your neighbours with free eggies, it's amazing what that will achieve.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 19 Oct 08 12:33am

louisewomble

Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Contact your council - the environmental health jobbies are the ones to talk to!!  If you are truly in a rural area - they will support you keeping your cockerel!!  But if it is in fact a small town or village on it's way to becoming a town they might not be so supportive!

My girls were nosiy when I first got them, but now I leave them shut in until I get up and they are quieter!

Good luck!

Louise

Likes (0)