Jamie Oliver

forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Mon 01 Nov 10 10:26pm

Tired1

Member since Mon 01 Nov 10

Re: what the law says about keeping cockerels

How can you be smiley?  Im far from smiley!  My neighbour (5meters away in a residential area) introduced a 'special breed'  cockerel into their back garden 11 months ago.  It has woken me up at 3.00am through the summer.  Only intermittent crowing for 5 hours until I roll out of bed wanting to die.  Even my children learnt very early in life not to wake me before 8am!!  I am studying for an accounting degree in the evenings. 2 of my children are undertaking exams and I work during the day.  Being woken at the crack of dawn between 1.5 to 5 hours (depending on the time of year) before my alarm goes off and I am tired. And annoyed.  Yesterday my neighbours, who do not sleep at the back of the house, claim they have shut it up until a reasonable time,  moved it 5 ft so it is outside of the 100ft?? area,  informed me there is nothing more they can do and as its a rare breed and the Rare Breed Society will not be happy if they move it anywhere else and that the council has no jurisdiction over their rare breed licence. (Rare Breed Society were very nice when I queried it). My telling them I was still being woken at the crack of dawn every day 7 days a week as were the rest of my family at the back of my house was met with a shrug.  For them its a fancy, I however have no choice, not even one day, to sleep.  I have no problem with them keeping them at all.  I dont want them to get rid of it either.  We had chickens when I was growing up.  I just want sleep.  I just need to sleep.  I get debilitating migranes when I am extremely tired.  Do I have to give up my career, education or family in order to cope with someones 'fancy'?  Isnt it a little bit inconsiderate that I HAVE NO CHOICE?    yawn

Likes (0)

#32 Mon 01 Nov 10 10:33pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Heard of ear-plugs????????(No not when i've got them in....)

Likes (0)

#33 Mon 01 Nov 10 10:53pm

Tired1

Member since Mon 01 Nov 10

Yes but they dont stay in.  I have to keep waking up to find them.  Not helpful really.  Think you could possibly underestimate what lack of sleep does to me! evil

Likes (0)

#34 Sun 16 Jan 11 2:39pm

AuntieT

Member since Sun 16 Jan 11

I've come on here to find information regarding keeping Cockerels and found this post.

I live in a flat in South London so a fairly built up area surrounded by lots of terraced houses.  Since before Xmas there has been a Cockerel somewhere around me who starts off in the morning and continues (in spats of about half an hour every hour) till nightfall.

Whist I'm all for live and let live and all the other noises are part of normal city life I can't help thinking that it's not right.

My brother has neighbours who have one and it doesn't unduly disturb them by carrying on all throughout the daylight hours as this one seems to do.

Apart from the noise, I have a concern, that it's carrying on all day because it's not being kept "Correctly" and that is why.  I was wondering if I should try to report it!

Is it normal?

Likes (0)

#35 Tue 01 Feb 11 6:13pm

MaverickTV

Member since Tue 01 Feb 11

Hi
Sorry to bother you, My name is Laura and I work at Maverick TV. We are currently producing a documentary series on Community Mediation, following teams of experts whose job it is to help resolve neighbourly issues.
If you are interested in learning more you can contact me at l.woolf at mavericktv.co.uk
Thanks
Laura

Likes (0)

#36 Wed 06 Apr 11 4:46pm

Lizardman

Member since Wed 06 Apr 11

I live in a village but on a housing estate within the village. I work shifts as does my wife albeit she is currently on maternity leave. We have two other young children. My neighbours now keep chickens (not a massive problem with that) and now a cockrel that crows from 4 am and throughout the day (even now at 3.40 pm!). They also have dogs and various other animals. They sleep in the front of their house, the animals are kept out of the back. I am an animal lover.

Quite frankly it is now getting beyond a joke. We moved to the area, for peace and quiet and before the animals all arrived. The neighbours work throughout the day and are clearly oblivious to the noise.

The cockrel is just 20 feet from our bedroom window and what used to be a pleasant experience sitting in your garden is now no longer so whether because of the noise or the smell. We are all kept awake (except one of my sons, whose bedroom is in the front of the house). Basically, keeping a cockrel in a residential area is just plain selfish!

Likes (0)

#37 Sun 17 Apr 11 10:43am

The Grim Reaper

Member since Sun 17 Apr 11

I have just read this thread with pleasure...

Let me tell you a little about my story.

I live in (what was) a nice quiet residential area. And a kind considerate neighbour has decided to buy two yes TWO cockerels. So, when I read on here about "Don't be so narrow minded" etc. My blood boils.

I work permanent nights as a lorry driver. Sleep is now impossible. He for whatever reason chooses not to work.

For what used to be a pleasure living here is an absolute living nightmare. We cannot sit in the rear of our property. And the rear garden it totally out of bounds. It is so bad - a friend who visited the other day had to leave as the noise was so painful.

I called the council. As I work silly shifts - they are unable to do nothing. If I worked 9-5 and the noise was causing me to wake up at say 0600 everyday, this would be a council matter. As I 'chose' to work my shift-pattern. I can do nothing.

This week I'm going to see my GP. It is now Sunday morning, and we as a family (two adults+two children) will have to go out for the day - to escape the sheer noise pollution we are subjected to. And let me assure you this - I am not "Narrow minded". Far from it. In all my time of living here - I have gone out of my way to be neighbourly and considerate. Not any more. I will not stop my dog barking now. And I will make a noise like anyone else. All I ask for is a quiet life. Sadly with this person living up the street. This is now an impossibility.

And this goes on from early hours (before dawn) all day long. On average - every two minutes.

To be honest - I'm pretty easy going about most things in life. My wife has tried to reason with them on several occasions. Without success. I'm bordering on exploding. I don't do deplomacy all that well. 'When' I go round - it will not be pretty. My brother called round yesterday to try to calm me down. As I was literally baying for blood. Even he said it's impossible to live near. And at one point I had to be restraint from visiting our lovely considerate neighbour.

I have checked my deeds - it's against the rules. But, who pays attention to this anymore?

To all you cockerel lovers on here. I am planning to move. I cannot change job/bedroom. The only way is out.

So, to all you people who think I'm "Narrow minded" think on this. The next truck following you - could have a driver exhausted from lack of daily rest/sleep angry

What's the saying - "It's better to burn out - than fade away"...!

Thanks you for reading my story... thumbsup

Last edited by The Grim Reaper (Sun 17 Apr 11 10:50am)

Likes (0)

#38 Fri 13 May 11 5:42pm

Sheewah

Member since Fri 13 May 11

I live in a terrace block, work evenings (not getting to bed until 3am) an Have a 3 year old daughter. My neighbours recently got 6 chickens and 2 cockerels. I don't have a problem with them as I'm from the country originally and can sleep though the crowing but unfortunatley my daughter can't. recently she has been waking me up at around 5am because the cockerel is crowing so in her head that means it's time to get up. I'm not being picky or small-minded I'd just like a little more sleep. Is there anything I can do? help  yawn

Likes (0)

#39 Sat 14 May 11 1:06am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Sheewah, welcome here!
Hopefully she will quickly get used to it. I remember moving as a child from a house on a main road ~ where I happily slept through the traffic, to a quiet neighbourhood near a park.... the frogs kept me awake at first! lol  lol
Roosters are more intrusive, but I am sure she will get used to them quickly.
I would tell her the crowing is their way of telling everyone they are keeping the hens safe ~ so that the noise is connected with the feeling of being safe and looked after.
crossed  Fingers crossed you all get some unbroken sleep soon!

Likes (0)

#40 Sat 14 May 11 2:30am

Sheewah

Member since Fri 13 May 11

Hi JoyYamDaisy
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the advice. Its a good idea as she likes to know that no-one is lonely or unsafe, so it should work.  crossed
Not sure how long I can survive on 2 hours sleep yawn

Likes (0)