Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 12 May 08 4:09am

heathercooks

Occupation Computer Consultant
From Ottawa
Member since Mon 12 May 08

Salads for Summer BBQ

Hello there

I am hosting a family reunion this year - about 60 people.  I am looking for Salad ideas - your best greek, caesar, Potato, pasta etc..... Those standard ones that are always a hit.

heather.

Last edited by heathercooks (Mon 12 May 08 4:18am)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 12 May 08 8:59am

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Salads for Summer BBQ

Hi heather, welcome -

Why don't you check out Jamie's on site recipes....lots to choose from.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/salad/

More recipes here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/ma … amp;page=1

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 12 May 08 2:17pm

heathercooks

Occupation Computer Consultant
From Ottawa
Member since Mon 12 May 08

Thank you Tanya - much appreciated.

h.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 12 May 08 7:58pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Well I'll post a couple of salad's tomorrow with their pictures. One italian one I learned from Jamie(Spinach, Rocket, Lettuce, Parmezan, Prosciutto, Sundried tomatoes) and a classic greek tomato salad(tomatoes, cucumber, onion, pepper, cappers, feta cheese)

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 12 May 08 8:23pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Cucumbers, tomatoes and thinly sliced sweet red onion dressed with s&p, olive oil and a splash of good red wine vinegar.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 13 May 08 1:01am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Potato salad:

1kg new potatoes, boiled, cooled and peeled, then cubed
3 apples (usually use Cox as it's what we have in the fruit bowl), peeled and cubed
olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
salt and pepper
mayonnaise

Not much of a method here: combine everything, using enough mayo to coat and enough olive oil to loosen.  Best if left for a couple of hours to amalgamate.  It's not one of those light, vinaigrettey French salads, but a good Germanic "Himmel und Erde" potato and apple combination.

Pasta salad:

What we usually chuck in with the pasta is ham, Peppadew peppers (come in jars, sweet and almost spicy but not quite), spring onions, olives, peppers, peas.  For the dressing, mix 4 parts mayo with one part each of pesto and olive oil, and a minced clove of garlic.

I'm rather partial to mayonnaisey summery salads...  I might actually have to start running again if this trend continues.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 13 May 08 10:10am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Basic Ceasar Salad
1 or 2 Heads of Romaine lettuce, wash and dry, tear into pieces
Shaved or grated Parmesan (rough grate, not fine)
French bread, cut into small cubes, toasted lightly in low oven
1 cold egg yolk
1/4 Cup Olive Oil (approx)
Juice of 1 Large Lemon
1 or 2 anchovies, mashed
3 - 4 Garlic Cloves
2 - 3 Tbsp. Butter (approx)
Salt and Black Pepper

Lightly cook 2 of the crushed garlic cloves in the butter over low heat.  Coat the toasted bread cubes in garlic butter. Put the anchovies in the bottom of a large salad bowl and mash them.  Add the egg yolk, lemon juice, olive oil and 1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves, salt and pepper and whisk to blend well.  Add the lettuce and coat the leaves evenly with the dressing.  Top with the parmesan and garlic croutons.  Make the dressing and assemble the salad in front of the guests and serve immediately.

I have no idea if using the raw egg is safe in this case, hopefully others will comment on that if you're not sure about it.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 14 May 08 1:35am

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 06 Feb 08

Here is a favourite salad - very easy.  It is a version of Insalata Caprese - but I prefer this.  My Italian relatives like this - even asked for the recipe. This looks great on the plate and has a very fresh, clean taste.

Ingredients
    2 large fresh mozzarella balls
    (about 125g each)
    or 1 tub bocconcini, drained
    3 Tbsp thick natural yoghurt
    50ml extra virgin olive oil
    Sea-salt flakes
    Freshly ground black pepper
    4 ripe tomatoes
    1/2 red onion
    Fresh basil leaves to garnish
    40ml balsamic vinegar

Basil dressing
    1/2 garlic clove
    12 basil leaves
    100ml extra virgin olive oil

Here's how:
1 Tear the mozzarella into rough pieces and put in a mixing bowl with yoghurt and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
2 Slice the tomatoes and finely chop the red onion. Lay the tomatoes on a platter and top with the cheese mixture. Scatter over the onion and basil leaves. Top with Basil dressing and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.
3 To make Basil dressing: Crush the garlic and basil leaves using a mortar and pestle, or pulse in a food processor until chopped. Stir in the olive oil, mixing well.

Recipe: Karen Martini on BH & G., Australia

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 14 May 08 2:42am

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia

This is a family favourite.

Potato Salad with Proscuitto.
Dressing:
1 egg yolk
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons fresh continental parsley
2 teaspoons fresh chives
1 clove of garlic crushed

800g Baby Coliban (Chat) potatoes
Extra olive oil
3 slices of Prosciutto

Method:
1.Place the egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, basil, parsley, chives and garlic into a bowl of a food processor and combine until herbs are finely chopped. Gradually add the oil in a thin, steady stream until mixture thickens and is combined. 
Season with salt & pepper.
2. Cook potatoes in salted water until tender (around 10 minutes). Drain and let stand till cool enough to handle (around 10 mins). Cut in half.
3. Heat the grill on high.  Oil a baking tray and grill the Proscuitto for around 2 minutes per side, until crisp. Set aside to cool, then break into small pieces.
4. Place potato in serving bowl and drizzle with dressing.  Arrange Proscuitto on top.

Preparation Tips:  Make the dressing (Step 1) up to a day ahead.  Store in air-tight container in frig.  Continue with Steps 2 & 3 up to four hours ahead covering potato and storing in the frig. Proscuitto should be covered but can be stored at room temperature.  One hour prior to serving, continue with Step 4.

Good luck!

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 14 May 08 2:58am

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia

Sorry! left out 125ml (1/2 cup) of olive oil in dressing  oops

Likes (0)