Jamie's Pukkolla recipe from his book "The Return of the Naked Chef"

Serves many Mornings -

8 large handfuls of organic Scottish porridge oats
2 large handfuls of ground bran
1 handful of chopped dried apricots
1 handful of chopped dried dates
1 handful of crumbled walnuts
1 handful of smashed or chopped almonds, hazelnuts or Brazil nuts

Add your porridge oats and bran to your plastic container with the apricots and dates.  Add the walnuts and your other chosen nuts (I usually bash them up in a tea towel).  At this point feel free to improvise, adding any other preferred dried fruits like raisins, sultanas or figs - but personally I think my combination works pretty well.  This will keep for a good couple of months very happily in your airtight container, but you'll have eaten it by then, I guarantee

Making and knocking together -

milk to cover
1/2 a crunchy apple per person, washed and unpeeled

I would definitely try to make this the night or day before you want to eat it, although it can be made at the time) but you won't get the smooth silky scrumptious texture that the milk gives it overnight - I normally place double the amount of composed cereal I need (i.e. 4 portions for 2 people ) into a bowl.  Doubling up like this gives you enough to eat for the next couple of days.  Cover with milk, grate in around half an apple per person and stir immediately to stop the apple discolouring.  Place in the fridge.

Tucking in and eating -

half a banana per person peeled and sliced or squashed
honey to taste

Remove the bowl from the fridge.  You will find it has softened and thickened, so loosen with a little milk.  Add your banana sliced or squashed.  You will find that a lot of natural sweetness has come out of the dried fruit, so add honey to taste.  Serve in a bowl with a dollop of yoghurt and some mixed berries.

yummy  yummy

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 22 May 08 11:28pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Homemade Muesli

My own muesli is inspired by Jamie's Pukkola, but adjusted to my morning routines:

In a big jar I mix about
6-8 parts oats
4-6 parts bran (usually wheat, sometimes oat)
1 part chopped nuts or seeds (whatever I have or feel hungry for)
1 part chopped or small dried fruit (whichever ones you like or go well with your nuts)

I use up any chopped, slivered, nibbed or even ground nuts or almonds from baking in this. But most of the time I use walnuts because they are my favorite. On occasion I have used sunflower or pumpkin seeds instead.
Most of the time I chop up some dried apricots for this, but have also used raisins, cranberries, chopped prunes and a whole bunch of other ones. You can combine too.

How big you make your parts depends on the size of your container I guess. wink

In the morning I put one portion of fruit (finely sliced banana, grated or chopped apple or pear, a handful of berries....) into a bowl. Then I add a generous hand full of the muesli mix. Then I add enough milk that there is still a little (but not much) liquid after stirring (the bran will soak up the milk quickly and is awful when too dry - but I don't like it too much swimming around either)

If you like your muesli sweet, add honey or maple syrup, but I find that most fruit are sweet enough.

Very rarely I have added little bits of really dark (70% or more cocoa) chocolate yummy

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 23 May 08 3:05am

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 06 Feb 08

Hi Lolly1pop, have you tried this style of Muesli.  I like it for a change. I prefer it without orange juice & water.  I mix all the other ingredients (including honey) and leave in frig overnight.  If you like, berries or tinned fruit can be placed in a bowl with the Bircher Muesli on top or vice versa if you have colourful berries i.e. blueberries & strawberries. 

Bircher Muesli (Donna Hay)

2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup sultanas
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 cup fresh orange juice
cup water
teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 apple grated
1/3 cup European-style yoghurt
cup slivered almonds, roasted
cup hazelnuts, roasted and roughly chopped
Honey for drizzling.

Place rolled oats, sultanas and apricots in a bowl and pour over combined orange juice and water.
Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
To serve, stir cinnamon, apple and yoghurt into the rolled oats mixture.
Divide between bowls, top with almonds and hazelnuts and drizzle with honey.
Serves 4.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 23 May 08 8:23am

Lolly1pop

Occupation home exec with 3 children
From durban, south africa
Member since Wed 29 Dec 04

these look divine. bought the rolled oats, now I need to go buy the rest yummy

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 23 May 08 8:50am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

you all say the dry muesly mixture has to be put in the milk or yogurt the evening before
my son puts it short before making brakfast

he has digesting problems

I wonder if these ready muesli dry stuffs eaten without softening them cause some difficulties, after all we are not meant to have poultry abilty to digest stones.

any comments from the experts????

grazieeeeeeee da mamma chioccia

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 23 May 08 8:58am

Lolly1pop

Occupation home exec with 3 children
From durban, south africa
Member since Wed 29 Dec 04

i can't think of anything worse then having soggy muesli. I add my yoghurt ( I don't drink milk at all ) and eat it while it is still crunchy and not soggy

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 23 May 08 9:09am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

ok thanks

mamma chioccia is satisfied

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 23 May 08 9:13am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Mmmm.  I love that soupy meusli.  I'm glad to have a recipe for it now.  I've had it with fresh and dried fruits and shaved coconut.

madamada:  Some have difficulty with certain types of fiber and need to have it in moderation, but I'm thinking more along the lines of cabbage and broccoli.  It's good to get fiber from many sources, not just a few, also to drink enough water to help digest it.

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 23 May 08 9:48am)

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 23 May 08 10:55am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

smile
big_smile

Likes (0)