forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 13 Jan 09 12:03am

CraigJ

From Townsville, Australia
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Re: New to keeping chickens in the garden - help needed

Maree wrote:

Hi Craig, ("chooks" you must be another Aussie smile )do the chooks and the duck live together? How big is your coup?

Fell in love with duck eggs while in UK recently. Impossible to get down here and don't have time or eco-kms to drive to where I could get them.

Have already approached neighbours (promised no roosters- they don't lay eggs-not allowed in the 'burbs and don't particularly want to have chicks).

They (neighbours) have given me their blessing with the promise of excess eggs throughout the year *and* in return for feeding and watering the birds, they get to take all eggs while I'm away.

Yes the chickens and duck, Angelina (Jolie duck lips), get along very well. The coup is about 4 metres square, situated under a huge mango tree for shade.

The resident possum also helps clear up the scraps that the chooks and duck don't want, which keeps athe rats deprived of a feed. They spend most of their time in the coup, but also get a good couple of hours to wander around the property.

Unfortunately for Angelina, our new pup, well he is 11 months old, enjoys pinning her down and licking her, and given that he is a 36kg pup it is not too pleasant for her. It could be worse though, at least he just likes to lick her instead of, well, the alternative.

We use some of the duck eggs, the bulk being traded at our local asian store for chillies and other goods

Likes (0)

#22 Fri 24 Apr 09 5:33pm

Chookahoop

Occupation Oxygen Assessment Nurse
From Burry Port Carmarthenshire
Member since Fri 24 Apr 09

Hi there, this is my first time on the forum, I need advice, we got four beautiful ex battrey hens about a month ago, they are great and love their new home, but the run is not that big and they are now clammering to get out, we want to get them a bigger run but they are very costly, has any one any tips as to where to find one cheaper, or got a design for making one for one frightened DIY man (my husband).
We would let them raom free but the dogs see them as potential play things and the garden would be ruined in minutes.
We want these chickens to start having fun please help
Thanks
Lynda smile

Last edited by Chookahoop (Fri 24 Apr 09 5:34pm)

Likes (0)

#23 Mon 27 Apr 09 9:13am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Hi Lynda,

I have found that once my dog was supervised for a while she got used to the chickens & didnt harm them.. she does play a game of tag with them though.. but the chikens chase the dog too.. so its obviously a game.. when we get new chooks the dog spend a few days licking them.. not sure what that is about but she doesnt hurt them even though she is a terrier.

To minimise damage to my veg garden etc I have been letting the chooks out about an hour before dusk 3-4 days a week.... this means they get a good run & scratch but as they go to bed on their own at dark this minimises the damage & gives the yard a channce to recover.

Likes (0)

#24 Sun 10 May 09 10:06am

Chookahoop

Occupation Oxygen Assessment Nurse
From Burry Port Carmarthenshire
Member since Fri 24 Apr 09

Thank you for all your replies and advice, we now have a substantial chicken run and all 4 chickens are very happy girls.

I do think that they are all very lovely and my husband is their main carer at the moment as I am awaiting a hip replacement, so the chickens are a hazard to me at the moment.

I have to say their eggs are like nothing I have ever tasted before and I will never go back to supermarket eggs again, I hope other people will see the light and keep their own chooks.

Thank you again

Lynda smile

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 10 May 09 10:34am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Am still trying to convince family.

Here, there's a company that supplies run/housing, food etc and two chooks.

"Rent" for 6wks. If you like, keep. If you don't, they'll pick up the "girls" and you lose deposit.

I grew up w chooks in the back yard. Was my job as "very little" to collect the still warm eggs for breakfast.

Must work harder to convince family, esp as the hens go off laying in the cooler months (we're now in late Autumn).

Think of free chook poo and snail and slug eating (by the chooks!)

Girls would be let out to free range when (small-medium) dog goes for twice daily walk.
Good luck and wish me luck.

What's the problem, family?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#26 Sun 10 May 09 10:45am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Just do it Maree, Im sure they do things you have specifically asked them not to do.. all the time.. just check with local council for regs.. but yes I have seen that comapny on tv, looks good.. think it was on "totally wild".

EDIT : I noticed today that the chooks had eaten every last parsnip seed that was sprouting above the mulch last week.. dirty buggers... they dont/didnt touch the parsley sprouting though.. and this when I have finally gotten to liking & convincing the family to like parsnip as a baked veg or as wedges...

Last edited by frizz1974 (Sun 10 May 09 10:47am)

Likes (0)

#27 Sun 10 May 09 10:52am

Maree

Forum champ

Frizz, you kidding me as to what I've said *not* to do but done anyway big_smile

Think I will "just do it".

Went to web-site. He has a "normal" job and does this on the side. Can't keep up w demand.

Have checked w Council (OK unless a rooster- no thanx) and w neighbours.

Told neighbours, if I'm away, if they feed and water the girls, help self to eggs and manure. They were v happy with that.

On my "to do" list for week.

Likes (0)

#28 Sun 10 May 09 11:01am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Maree, good luck with your chicken venture smile

My sister has them and she loves her girls, as do I when I get free eggs. Unfortunately we are not allowed by council to own them and I think the two cats and three dogs might make life a bit difficult for them. shocked

Likes (0)

#29 Sun 10 May 09 11:08am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

frizz1974 wrote:

EDIT : I noticed today that the chooks had eaten every last parsnip seed that was sprouting above the mulch last week.. dirty buggers... they dont/didnt touch the parsley sprouting though.. and this when I have finally gotten to liking & convincing the family to like parsnip as a baked veg or as wedges...

Maybe they were bribed with a handful of raisins or something frizz
lol

Maree ,I do the chicken watch for my friend when she is away. on Easter Sunday morning I opened the fount door to find that my friend had been around to find an egg box on the doorstep .
The box was marked.... " From the Girls " Happy Easter .
Their chickens are very tame and love company .

On the subject of egglu's , I do think that they are very expensive , but in a little town garden they are easy.
They are simple to clean and maintain , easy to move around and do look quite fun.
But in terms of recouping the money spent on the egglu  / in eggs .... it would take a long time !!
I think that most people buy them for the look , the practicality and the convenience.
Like everything , you pay for convinience.

Likes (0)

#30 Sun 10 May 09 11:17am

Maree

Forum champ

Thanks, friends *and* happy Mothers'Day.

Shammy, Council has rules re *no* roosters (fine by me-*not* a morning person), how many hens and how far "their house" has to be from living areas (mine and neighbours- strange block of land, have three neighbours that join boundaries).

Will ring this man. Only does it Thurs-Sat as has another job. Let you know how I go.

Likes (0)