Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Mon 11 Oct 04 5:05pm

figgy

From western autralia
Member since Wed 29 Sep 04

Re: The Silk Road

thanks stephanie, that sago pudding looks great!

you know what?  i can't use soy milk because i'm allergic to soy as well!!!  incredible hey??

but don't worry about me not having the original flavours, i'd go insane if i let that worry me!!  plus i ate almost everything in the world before i found out i was allergic, so i know most things, especially dim sum flavours as i was an addict for years before i found out about my stinky allergies.

so DON'T WORRY!!  i eat plenty of good stuff and will try ANYTHING to make the things i like work [often ends in disaster i can tell you but it's well worth trying] [sometimes hilarious actually]

hey i have another question for you!!!   

do you know how to make bubor cha cha?

Likes (0)

#52 Mon 11 Oct 04 5:07pm

figgy

From western autralia

sorry i knew you'd be horrified when i substituted stuff in your recipes!

SACRILEGE!!!

:shock:

Likes (0)

#53 Mon 11 Oct 04 8:49pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Hey ho...yeesh I thought that I'd do away with the pea thing...it looks horrid makes the whole dim sum look hideous I mean...come on man...nobody actually pairs lurid green with yellow dumpling skin right? They should go along with warm colours...yellow+orange from the roe...perfect combi! Ok that sounds a little Rachel from Friends kinda bimbotic... oops 
Sure thing,will dig out my ma's old bubor cha cha recipe...I loathe the stuff...but don't know why it seems to go down well with foreigners? She brought some to the office and the trainees from Melbourne and Sydney literally licked the pot clean man! I personally don't know how they did that...it's such a rich dessert! Anyway,post it on asap when I get hold of it.
And YES...sacrilege that you substituted ingredients but hey, I don't blame you, you did it for a reason! Will bear this in mind and post you recipes that are dairy and wheat free next time.

Likes (0)

#54 Mon 11 Oct 04 9:11pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

That sago pudding sounds lovely Stefanie! I always made it with normal milk but the coconut milk sounds so much more interesting ;-)

Likes (0)

#55 Tue 12 Oct 04 10:55am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Here you go figgy...my ma's ancient bubor cha cha...(the recipe, not the dish itself please... big_smile )

YOU NEED:
905gm grated coconut (fresh)
565ml cooled, boiled water
310gm diced sweet potatoes (orange variety)
310gm diced yam
225ml extra water
6 screwpine (pandan) leaves, knotted
140gm coarse sugar
310gm sago flour
1/2tsp borax, available from chinese dispensaries
225ml boiling water
A few drops of red,green, yellow and blue colouring each.
3/4tsp salt

HOW:
Squeeze the life out of the coconut with muslin/cheesecloth to make concentrated milk.
Add cooled boiled water to the squeezed coconut, squeeze again for normal coconut milk.
Rinse and drain sweet potatoes and yam, steam for 6 mins or until tender,do not overcook.
Boil 225ml water with sugar and pandan for 10mins. Strain syrup into a bowl.
Sift sago flour and borax into a basin,pour 225ml boiling water into the basin, stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
Knead to form a smooth, firm dough,flour palms with sago flour to prevent sticking. (And I tell you,it's sticky business if you don't flour your hands).
Divide dough into 4 portions, colour accordingly with each colour, knead till colour is uniform.
Roll into long strips of diameter 1cm. Cut each strip into small triangles.
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, boil triangles according to colour, stir and stir to prevent sticking.
Scoop out as soon as they float to the surface. Plunge into a basin of cold water for 10 minutes.
Drain and place in a bowl. A dd 4 tbsp sugar, mix to prevent sticking again.
Mix cooled syrup with normal coconut milk,bring to the boil in a pot,keep stirring.
Add concentrated coconut milk and salt, turn off heat and keep stirring/whisking even, to prevent curdling.
To serve, place a tbsp each of swet potato,yam and sago triangles in a small bowl. Add coconut milk to fill the bowl, serve hot or top with ice shavings as a cool dessert in summer.

Note: Make sure you get a good brand of borax, otherwise leave it out of the recipe.

Likes (0)

#56 Tue 12 Oct 04 10:59am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Hi LadyRed...yes the coconut milk in  the sago pudding goes very well with the coconut (gula melaka) syrup indeed.
Try the bubor cha cha recipe I left for figgy, it's a good local dessert too.

Likes (0)

#57 Tue 12 Oct 04 11:09am

figgy

From western autralia

hi stephanie, don't worry about not telling me wheat recipes i'll just v e r y    d i s c r e e t l y slip in some alternatives.  otherwise, BORING!!   ya gotta try everything i reckon!!

so i will now have to hunt down borax, what IS that?  sounds like a cleaning agent?  although when i put a smidgeon too much bicarb in my pancakes the other day i thought, well, imagine how clean my intestines will be?!    : D    [i use that stuff to clean the bath!!]

maybe the same effect with borax?

hee hee

by the way it's otak otak tonight... drum roll...

Likes (0)

#58 Tue 12 Oct 04 11:20am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Yes borax is a cleaning agent...maybe bicarb will work just as well, it's a cleaning agent *horrors*
Have fun with the bubor cha cha and otak otak let me know how they turned out...you might want to try the Malay prawn recipe I left with Mary the other day and serve with the sides I suggested. Then it'll be a malay food feast tonight!
The prawn recipe is very easy,sorta like a one pot thing.Try if you have time.

YOU NEED:
600gm king/tiger prawns, deveined, shell left on
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1/2cup water
1tbsp or so castor sugar
3tbsp peanut oil
1/2 fresh pineapple, chopped into chunks
Grind in your blender,20 dried chillies (soaked in water beforehand for 30mins), a thumb-sized dried shrimp paste (the feet paste...haha),2 medium red onions,and a garlic clove
Oil for deep-frying prawns

How:
Deep fry prawns till deep orange, drain well,set aside on paper towels
Heat 3tbsp peanut oil till hot, fry ground ingredients till fragrant (3-4 mins). The spicy fumes might give you a coughing fit in an enclosed area so keep windows open or something, trust me!
Add sugar, season to taste
Add tamarind paste,water and pineapple, bring to the boil and simmer till gravy has thickened.
Pour gravy over prawns.
Serve with steamed basmati rice flavoured with pandan (screwpine leaves),a knob of ginger and coconut milk. (cook rice as per normal, but sub half of water with coconut milk)
Yummy TV Dinner ready! Enjoy...if you like a sour-ish flavour, get a pineapple that isn't so ripe.

Likes (0)

#59 Tue 12 Oct 04 1:34pm

jaybee

From Norfolk, England
Member since Wed 30 Jun 04

Can you help with this one Stephanie?  A few years ago I visited my brother in Taiwan.  One morning, (after a rather debauched night before!)  My sister in law (who is chinese) and I stopped at a little cafe type place for brekkie.  There we were served a delicious sort of omelet with spring onions in, and also a kind of deep fried bread - any clues about this bread?  It was sooooo yummy!  Would love to try and replicate it!

PS - this was the first time I had visited my brother - and had to struggle with chopsticks cos no-one (not even my brother!) had any knives and forks! - just picture the scene - me, STARVING HUNGRY, trying to eat an omelet with chopsticks!

Needless to say, I am better at it now, and indeed, whenever I cook chinese food, I think it tastes better if you eat it with chopsticks!

Likes (0)

#60 Tue 12 Oct 04 3:11pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Hi ya...I believe the bread you ate was a fried man tou, a soft chinese roll that can be steamed or deep fried. I do have a recipe from my grandma but it's really fiddly! Are you keen to try it? If not, you can buy frozen man tou from most Asian stores. It's pretty good too but here's a variation you can try.

Thaw the man tou and roll in sesame seeds. Deep fry and split open. Stuff with pork floss (easily obtainable at good Asian grocery stores), or BBQ pork (char siew), shredded cucumber and omelet. Beat some eggs, throw in chopped spring onions, salt and white pepper to taste. Fry a thin, crisp omelet in batches in a pan.
Drizzle over a sweet chilli sauce on the bun, or another sauce: fry up some chopped garlic till crisp in some peanut oil, add in hoisin sauce, and a few drops of sesame oil. Whisk to combine, drizzle over stuffed bun. Good for a snack or when friends drop over unexpectedly.
Hope your tummy's rumbling!
P.S: Chopsticks are fun yeah? Try some of the other recipes I left on the forum too, and eat with chopsticks! *evil laugh*  big_smile

Likes (0)