forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#61 Tue 12 Oct 04 3:42pm

Gina

From Singapore
Member since Tue 12 Oct 04

Re: The Silk Road

Dear Stephanie

wow! you sounded like a professional cook with all the knowledge of Asian food..err..would you like to visit me at my board too? 8)

anyway, I am very impressed with your vast knowledge.

Gina

Likes (0)

#62 Tue 12 Oct 04 4:37pm

figgy

From western autralia
Member since Wed 29 Sep 04

hey stephanie!!

those fishycakes were DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

anyone who's reading this, scroll back through this thread, find the recipe and cook them up, they're superb!!

in all seriousness stephanie, i think you and your family should write all these recipes down and get them published!!

the reason so many people are asking you these questions is that, for some reason, in english speaking countries, most asian recipes in cookbooks are wimpy versions of already well known western style favourites with toned down versions of the real thing.  and no ingredients that you don't usually use. the only cookbook i've ever seen with good recipes like the ones you're posting was mostly in chinese with very dicey translations, so not really usable.

go on, publish a book of your recipes!!  i'd buy it!

: )

thanks again, i'll be trying bubor cha cha soon.  what am i going to do when my holiday's over and i can't spend all day grocery shopping and cooking?!  :cry:

Likes (0)

#63 Wed 13 Oct 04 8:27am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

Hello Stefanie,  big_smile
Been really busy at work. So, we are deviating to India, awesome!.....saggy arm wave......lol!!!!
I hope you are enjoying the company of your Aunt and Uncle!
I'm excited to see where we'll be heading next.  big_smile

Here's a couple more suggestions for Frittatas. You might want to try shredded chicken, mushrooms, and tarragon; using you basic Frittata recipe. Also you can do a chorizo, ripe plantain, leeks (or spring onion) Frittata. You'll get both savoury and sweet with this one, being that the ripe plantains are sweet. It's really good. Enjoy!

Take care Stefanie. Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Mary In Miami (Big Wave!)

Likes (0)

#64 Wed 13 Oct 04 9:37am

jaybee

From Norfolk, England
Member since Wed 30 Jun 04

I would love to try and make the man tou myself - the fiddlyness is half the fun of any recipe!

Yep, looked at the other recipes you have put on - they look scrummy and I will probably be trying some!

Thanks in anticipation!

Likes (0)

#65 Wed 13 Oct 04 11:06am

jaybee

From Norfolk, England
Member since Wed 30 Jun 04

Wow Gina - those pictures are great!

Likes (0)

#66 Wed 13 Oct 04 1:06pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Wow Gina...these pics are interesting...do you open a restaurant/cooking school or something? Look forward to exchanging recipes with you!

Likes (0)

#67 Wed 13 Oct 04 1:13pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Hi figgy...glad you liked the otak otak...it was good eh?  smile
Yeah...my mum is thinking of writing down our recipes and publishing them...her good friend in church owns a printing company. Hopefully we'll be able to work out logistics and everything...but meanwhile, I'm just cooking for fun, although I do hope to open my own restaurant in Melbourne one day...I love the culture and people there!
The bubor cha cha is rather rich though,so serve in small portions. If you like, will post recipes of tradtional chinese sweet soups (desserts) to excite your palate! They are light and refreshing. If not, maybe more Nonya/Peranakan desserts? Let me know....take care!

Likes (0)

#68 Wed 13 Oct 04 3:50pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Hey ya...you asked for it! So I'm giving it to you!

YOU NEED:
3 cups glutinous rice flour
1 cup warm water
4/5 tsp dry active yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup glutinous flour extra
1 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp shortening
3 tbsp sugar, extra
1/2 tsp salt

HOW:
Dissolve yeast in warm water,let rest 5 minutes. When a layer of bubbles form on the water, it is ready to use.
Put sieved 3 cups flour in a bowl with sugar, add yeast mixture and stir to combine.
Cover with a cloth, set in a warm place to rise.
Once it has doubled in size, knead in 1 cup extra flour, milk powder,sugar,salt and shortening. Knead till smooth. This is leavened dough.
Knead in 4 tbsp lard.
Divide dough into 4 portions, knead each portion into a strip.
Divide each strip into 4 again (thus,16 buns in all)
Place each piece on wax paper squares (8cm)
Let rise in a warm place till doubled, about 40 minutes.
Steam on a high heat for 15 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
Roll in sesame seeds,deep fry till golden brown.
Stuff with the suggestions I left the other time,enjoy!

Likes (0)

#69 Wed 13 Oct 04 4:04pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Mary started a great subject on oysters, I left a Thai influenced recipe,thought I should leave it here too for those who want a twist of flavour in their shellfish.

YOU NEED:
12 fresh oysters
Ginger slivers
Minced chilli
Minced garlic
Lime juice mixed with fish sauce and some brown sugar, add a few drops sesame oil
Chopped coriander.

HOW:
Shuck oysters...blah blah blah...top with ginger,chilli,garlic and on each oyster,1/2 tsp or so of the lime juice mixture.
Steam over high heat till just cooked, scrumptious! Top with coriander.
Oh I tell you...slurp up the briny juices in each oyster shell,delish!

Likes (0)

#70 Wed 13 Oct 04 8:00pm

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

Hi Gina,
Your photos are excellent. Please share some of your recipes with us. Looking forward to it.

Kind Regards,
Mary In Miami

Likes (0)