forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 05 Jun 08 11:20pm

misTea

From England
Member since Wed 28 May 08

cooking a whole trout

hi guys, i have a whole trout in the fridge (well minus head n bits!)  Just wondering if anybody had any simple ideas on how a novice should cook it? thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 06 Jun 08 1:19am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: cooking a whole trout

Season well with salt and pepper, inside and out.  Slice a lemon into rounds, and arrange inside the cavity, adding some sprigs of fresh parsley.  Turn the fish in flour, then fry in oil and butter, occasionally spooning some of the butter and oil over the top of the fish.  Serve with new potatoes.  Easy and yummy.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 06 Jun 08 2:01am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Thyme is nice stuffed inside trout. I just put it in the oven...there is a recipe in one of Jamie's books, either naked chef or naked chef 2

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 06 Jun 08 7:44am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I like to season well, stuff the cavity with lemon slices, almonds and garlic, wrap in greaseproof paper and bake in the oven  yummy

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 06 Jun 08 9:11am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I quite like it similar to  the way white rabbit describes.. (make small parallel  inscisions in flesh  lube inside and out with a little oil and get  salt and pepper rubbed into  it inside and out .. good bit of fresh  silver and golden or lemon thyme sprigs and maybe some sliced shallots in cavity ... I think i first saw jaime do this years ago.  When my herb garden is really going well i will sometimes add some fresh sweet marjoram as well.. bake in a hot oven.. good in foil or parchment packs too but you don't getcrispy skin that way which is what i like .  yummy  yummy

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#6 Fri 06 Jun 08 9:26am

JohnVisual

Member since Fri 25 Jan 08

also its nice to use sliced orange instead of lemon and then wrap the fish in bacon.
And for a easy sauce, just reduce down a pot of double cream untill its starts to turn yellow and then add some tarragon to infuse.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 06 Jun 08 6:18pm

misTea

From England
Member since Wed 28 May 08

thanks guys, im cooking it tonight, your help is much appreciated

Likes (0)