forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 10 Jun 08 5:31am

Dragoriana

Occupation Looking for the dream job
From Melbourne, Oz
Member since Fri 10 Aug 07

Whole fish on a barbeque - ideas?

In a few months my fiance and i are going away to a new place for our anniversary, and there are two local salmon & trout farms. Now assuming my first official attempt at fishing goes well and i catch some lovely fish, i'd like some ideas on how i can go about cooking it on a bbq and recipes for my nicely stuffed and wrapped fish, i'll add that i'm favouring trout over salmon.

My usual way of cooking fish is steaming or pan frying in fillets, not whole, that's my only experience with fish  help  i'm so used to roasts, casseroles etc that i need to try something a bit different smile

*please don't post recipes that include other meats such as bacon with the fish. Thanks  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 10 Jun 08 7:16am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Whole fish on a barbeque - ideas?

I usually make trout in the oven. I rub them inside and out with a mix of olive oil, coarse sea salt and dried thyme. Sometimes I put fresh thyme or rosemary in the cavity too. Oh so good. Never tried that on a BBQ though. You probably need to either wrap the fish or get one or those basket like thingies for around the fish so that it does not stick to the roast to stay...

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 10 Jun 08 5:57pm

Blueeyeddevil

From Virginia Beach, VA
Member since Fri 19 Oct 07

Thise recipe is from Steve Raichlen, huge BBQ guy here in the US. I have yet to find a bad recipe from him.

Trout on a Stick / Trout in a Basket

Method: grilling over a campfire/ direct grilling
Serves 4

Tips: In the most primal version of this dish, you'd simply impale the fish on sticks and cook them, marshmallow-style, over a campfire. I've upscaled the recipe slightly by stuffing the fish with scallions and butter and swaddling it in bacon. But such niceties are optional. So is the campfire, for trout are excellent cooked on a grill. Ideally, you'd work on a charcoal grill stoked with wood chunks instead of charcoal. But even a gas grill will give you superior trout. A fish basket reduces the risk of sticking and facilitates turning. One good brand is made by Charcoal Companion and is available at grill shops and hardware stores.

* 4 whole trout (each 12 to 16 ounces)
    * coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
    * 2 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
    * 4 scallions, trimmed
    * 8 slices bacon
    * lemon wedges for squeezing

You'll also need: butchers string; 4 sticks (1/2 inch in diameter, 2-1/2 to 3 feet long); or 1 fish basket for small whole fish; wood chunks for building a fire or for tossing on the coals or 1 to 2 cups unsoaked wood chips.

Wash the trout inside and out and blot dry. Make a couple of diagonal slashes to the bone in each side of each fish. This speeds up the cooking and allows for the absorption of the smoke flavor. Generously season the trout inside and out with salt and pepper. Smear a little butter inside each trout and place a scallion in the cavity. Smear a little more butter on the outside of each fish. Place on strip on each side of the trout, running lengthwise. Tie the strips to the fish in three places, using butchers string.

Campfire Method

Build a campfire and let it die down to glowing embers. Impale the trout on a stick. (A forked stick works best for this: insert one end of each fork into the cavity.) Holding the trout about 10 inches above the coals, grill until the bacon and/or skin are nicely browned and the fish is cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes per side. Move the trout as needed to dodge any bacon fat fires.

If you don't have sticks, place the trout in a fish basket you've previously sprayed with oil or greased with bacon fat. Grill the same way.

Grill Method

Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high. For the best results, you'd build a wood fire. Alternatively, toss some wood chunks or unsoaked chips on the coals in a charcoal grill or place in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch on a gas grill.

Arrange the fish on the grill grate and grill until the outside is browned and the fish is cooked, 6 to 10 minutes per side, turning with tongs. Leave plenty of open space on the grill, so you can move the trout in the event of flare-ups.

Snip the strings if using and serve the trout with the bacon and lemon wedges for squeezing. ared in June, 2000.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 10 Jun 08 6:21pm

Blueeyeddevil

From Virginia Beach, VA

Hello Sabs  big_smile

I was just starting to look over them yesterday, reading thru DB27s...it's pretty fantastic! I can't wait to read Foie's smile

Last edited by Blueeyeddevil (Tue 10 Jun 08 6:22pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 10 Jun 08 10:45pm

Blueeyeddevil

From Virginia Beach, VA

Sabs I have been looking thru the Blogs today and wow they are really fantastic! I'm very impressed with everyone's creativity and passion. Beautiful pictures, wonderful blogs...seriously a great addition to the website.

BED

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 13 Jun 08 8:49am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Zesty Salmon With Potato Rosti And Asparagus

SALMON
2 X 125g Salmon Fillets (Pin Boned)
1 Thumbsized Knob Ginger
3 Cloves Garlic (Peeled)
2 Lemons (1 Sliced, 1 Whole)
Salt & Pepper
POTATO ROSTI
500g All Purpose Potatoes (Peeled And Coarsely Grated)
4 Spring Onions (Finely Chopped)
1 bunch Asparagus (Trimmed)

SALMON
Heat BBQ for 15-20min on medium/high.
Into a bowl, finely grate or microplane the ginger, garlic and the zest of one lemon.
Add 1/2 the spring onions, 2 Tbs olive oil, juice of 1/2 lemon and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Add salmon fillets and toss well to coat.
Place salmon fillets skin side down.
Cook for 5-7min turning once or until the outside is brown and crisp.
POTATO ROSTI
Place grated potato in sieve and rince in cold water.
Drain well, squeezing out excess water.
Place rinsed potato onto a clean tea towel and sqeeze to remove as much moisture as possible, then add potato to a new bowl and remaining olive oil and spring onions.
Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
Brush flat plate on BBQ with oil, placing 1/2 cupfuls of potato mixture onto plate.
Flatten using a spatula.
Cook on a medium heat until golden brown, turn and brown other side.
Onto grill plate brushed with oil place the asparagus, sliced lemons and cook for 4-5 minutes until lightly seared.
Remove from BBQ and keep warm.
Place rosti, salmon and asparagus onto plate and garnish with grilled lemons.

Barbecue Salmon

Ingredients: 
    5 to 10 lb whole Salmon, cleaned
   2 cups Mushrooms, chopped
   1 cup Green Onions, chopped
   2 Tbsp Parsley, minced
   Salt and Pepper, to taste
   1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
   Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
   1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
   5 each lemon and orange slices

Directions: 
   Prepare barbecue grill for cooking. Remove head from salmon, if desired. Place salmon on a double-thick piece of foil. Make sure foil is 3 or 4 inches larger than the salmon on all sides. Lightly sprinkle the salmon inside and out with salt and pepper to taste. Combine mushrooms, onion, parsley, cheese, lemon peel, and juice in a large bowl.

Stuff heavenly mixture into fish cavity. Then melt butter and pour over salmon. Top with lemon and orange slices. Cover with another double-thick piece of foil and seal completely. Place the wrapped salmon on the grill about 4 to 6 inches from coals. Turn after 30 minutes and cook 20 to 30 minutes longer. If cooking on smoke-type grill, open foil during last 10 minutes and close the grill cover so smoke flavor penetrates the salmon. Serve barbecue salmon center-table on a stylish serving platter. Garnish with lemon and lime wedges. Makes several delicious helpings

Barbecue Trout

ingredients
2 x 400g fresh whole trout, cleaned
2 spring onions (chopped)
10 grapes, halved
Salt
Pepper
Dash of  red wine (Cabernet)
2 zuccchini
1 loaf crusty bread
Fresh vine leaves, blanched (use aluminium foil if vine leaves not available)
8 zucchini
Garden Salad
1 butter lettuce
1 mignonette lettuce
2 cups rocket leaves
Fresh mixed herbs, finely chopped
1 rasher bacon, grilled until crispy and chopped
50g walnuts, toasted
Red Wine Dressing
75ml olive oil
15ml balsamic vinegar
15ml red wine
1 clove garlic, crushed

method

Salad dressing
Make salad dressing first as the trout will cook very quickly. Put all ingredients into a jar then add a good pinch of salt and pepper. Place lid on the jar and give a good shake to mix the ingredients.

Garden Salad
Mix lettuce and rocket leaves together with herbs in a large bowl. Add bacon and walnuts for some extra crunch.

Trout
Lay trout onto blanched vine leaves or foil. Stuff trout with spring onions and grapes. Season to taste, then sprinkle with red wine.

Fold vine leaves or foil up around trout to enclose in a parcel, and use string or toothpicks to secure, as required. If using vine leaves, brush with olive oil then barbecue for about six minutes on each side at a medium to high heat.

Slice zucchini in half lengthways and placed on the hotplate, while the trout is cooking. Brush them with olive oil and cook until just tender.

Toss the garden salad with the red wine dressing, and serve together with some hunks of crusty bread

Grilled Trout With Cashew and Garlic Butter
Ingredients
4 (7 ounce)  whole trout
vegetable oil, for brushing
salt and pepper
2 ounces butter
2 ounces cashew nuts, shelled
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
chopped parsley, a good handful
1 lemon, juice of
Directions
1Preheat hot grill or barbecue. Slash skins of fish deeply three times on each side to let the heat permeate the flesh. Remove the heads if you like.
2Brush the fish lightly with oil, and season with salt and pepper both inside and out.
3Cook under grill or on barbecue for 4 minutes on each side, or until the skin is browned and the flesh feels firm.
4Melt the butter in a wide shallow pan, and fry the nuts quickly until toasted. Add the garlic and parsley, and fry the mixture briefly until the parsley darkens slightly.
5Add the lemon juice with more salt and pepper to taste and heat through.
6Put each trout on a warm serving plate, and spoon over cashew and garlic butter.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 13 Jun 08 1:18pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

The last time I had whole fish on the BBQ it was simply wrapped in foil along with some butter, garlic, finely chopped onion, salt and pepper. Lemon wedges to serve. It had been caught that day and with just simple flavourings, it was devine.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 13 Jun 08 3:37pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Here's a stovetop recipe from Wegman's that my brother shared with me:

Poached Etruscan Salmon
2 T. Olive Oil
1 Shallot, finely diced
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
C. White Wine
tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 Cups Fish Stock
1 C. Smooth Marinara Sauce
1 T. Capers
Cup Kalamata Olives, pitted, sliced
1 tsp. chopped fresh Rosemary
4 Salmon Fillets, (6 ounces each), skinned
Salt and Pepper
Heat basting oil in a braising pan on medium high heat.  Add shallots, garlic, cook about one minute until soft, not browned.  Add wine and red pepper flakes, cook 3 5 minutes until liquid is reduced to one-third.  Add stock, marinara sauce, capers, olives, rosemary, heat to 170 F. simmer.  Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes to combine flavors.  Season salmon with salt and pepper, place skin side up in pan.  Return to 170 degree simmer.  Cover, poach 5 minutes.  Turn salmon over, poach, covered, 5-7 minutes until center of salmon reaches 130 F.  Remove pan from heat, let rest at least two minutes.

I love whole trout smoked, served with lime wedges, cream cheese, red and yellow bell pepper rings and baguette slices.

I posted this elsewhere, here it is again:

Whole Salmon on the BBQ
1 Whole Salmon
Fresh Dill
Butter
1/4 Cup White Wine
Mix fresh chopped dill into softened butter, form into a tight roll in waxed paper, chill until firm, about 20 minutes.  Prepare the bbq to medium heat.  Place salmon in heavy duty foil. Drizzle with the wine, top with slices of the herb butter, seal foil, cook about 8 - 10 minutes on either side.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 13 Jun 08 9:07pm

Johny

From Poland.
Member since Fri 09 Feb 07

Whole Salmon, with fresh herbs, spring onions and lemon slices.
I love it. 

All The Best.  wink

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 16 Jun 08 9:03am

Dragoriana

Occupation Looking for the dream job
From Melbourne, Oz
Member since Fri 10 Aug 07

Yum yum yum! All the recipes are great, it certainly is giving me some great ideas. Keep posting, i've still got a few months till we go away smile

Someone hand me a bib  lol

Likes (0)