forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 27 Jun 08 4:55pm

misTea

From England
Member since Wed 28 May 08

Paprika, sweet or smoked?

I have noticed that some recipes call for sweet paprika and some for smoked. can anyone tell me the difference between these and the jars labled just "paprika"? i have been looking around and cant seem to find either sweet or smoked varieties anywhere.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 27 Jun 08 7:28pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Paprika, sweet or smoked?

There are different versions of paprika.

hot- which is - well, you may have guessed it - hot, but not quite so hot as chili powder
sweet - which is mild.
smoked - often labelled as Spanish (found it as that in Scotland at least) -  has a somewhat smokey note.

If you really can't get the smoked stuff use the mild/sweet or hot (or a mix of both). It will not taste exactly the same, but still be good. I had to do that for some time till my Scotland trip, because Jamie uses smoked paprika in several recipes and I could never find it here in Germany.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 27 Jun 08 9:42pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

smoked paprika smells like BBQ flavoured things !

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 27 Jun 08 10:14pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

The standard jars from supermarkets just labelled 'Paprika' (eg. Schwartz etc.) are sweet.  The smoked stuff tends to be specifically labelled as such.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 27 Jun 08 10:57pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Smoked paprika comes in both sweet and hot.  The Spanish variety is called 'Pimenton de la Vera' (dulce = sweet, picante = hot).  Hungarian smoked paprika comes in both sweet and hot.  I find sweet, smoked paprika more useful than the hot smoked paprika, you can always get heat from chili's.  Regular paprika whether sweet or hot has a very subtle flavor.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 28 Jun 08 11:26pm

misTea

From England
Member since Wed 28 May 08

MsPablo, you are a genius, thanks. i have seen pimenton in a chinese supermarket recently but as i never heard of it i never thought to stop and take a look. i'll go back on my day off and have a chat with them.
thank you clap

Likes (0)