Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 08 Jul 08 11:34pm

kaka22milan

Member since Sat 12 Apr 08

What the wok shall I do?

Hope the title wasn't too cheeky of me...

I want a wok, a really good wok...I've been looking it up and cast iron, round bottom, chinese style sounds the ultimate wok...I want to season the wok myself if, anyone has any tips on that.

Where can I get a good wok? and a wok stand/ring?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 09 Jul 08 12:07am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: What the wok shall I do?

Chinese supermarkets/wholesalers.  If you're in the UK, a Wing Yip type place is good.  And a plus point is, they're a lot cheaper there than anywhere else. 

We've got a Le Creuset wok too though, and it's pretty good...  Expensive though!  smile

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 09 Jul 08 11:11pm

kaka22milan

Money is no object - I want the perfect wok!

It will probably be Wig Yip though, better value than I can get at Selfridges or Rackhams

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 10 Jul 08 9:11am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 10 Jul 08 1:57pm

Mykael

Occupation Reprographics Co-ordinator / DTP Designer
From Southend-On-Sea
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

it depends what type of heat you are using the round bottom ones really don't work well on electric hobs and even on some gas one they can fall over

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 10 Jul 08 3:26pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

I have a wok from china town and a wok stand from a chinese wholesaler I use  its fab thumbsup  thumbsup  must be seasoned after every use and scrubbed with a wok brush as not to scratch ( will go very rusty if not looked after properly)

I never leave the wok when cooking with one, so its always in one hand, and I constantly move the food to cook evenly I find its better to wash the wok straight after use and season with oil on a kitchen towel( paper towel is great)

only downfall  no lid for steaming.. but I keep looking  also you can get a wok ladle to use with the wok it has a slight rounded edge

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 11 Jul 08 6:58pm

kaka22milan

I've purchased a wok stand already, even though its pretty redundant until i get another wok

The scrubber sounds like a wise investment, where about in chinatown did you get your wok cookinlovebird?

Cheers for that Claude, sofar the 'how to season' instructions i've read involved putting it in high heat and then putting oil in and rubbing it with paper, no mention of salt...and I didfnt know you were supposed to do it after every use, pretty silly of me to think you could galvanise it in one go

Thanks everyone, but I'm still after a good wok...and a cleaver too...livsstil (a great shop I must say before you read the next bit) had some but they were 60 quid a pop, Sheffield Steel but...come on! I'd expect the handle to be diamond encrusted for that much...wing yip again for that I suppose

Enjoy your cooking

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 12 Jul 08 10:27am

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

kaka22milan

I live in the West Midlands and purchased my wok in Birminghams China Town it was from the warehouse up the side of the big buffet resturant  I also got my chopper and sharpener from there too!  a few years ago but they always have them..... where are you?

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 12 Jul 08 1:06pm

allie12

Member since Sat 12 Jul 08

Of course you can get it from a wok shop…lolzz!!!

---------------------
Health and Diseases, Home Remedies

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 19 Jul 08 2:32am

kaka22milan

I'm from good old walsall, faggots chips and pays etc.

wok on!

Likes (0)