Mykael

Occupation Reprographics Co-ordinator / DTP Designer
From Southend-On-Sea
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

What is your favourite kitchen knife?

Type?
Make?
Size?
I seem to have a draw full of all different types sizes and makes. I have a habit of buying then as and when I see ones I like. I have notice that most seem to be Japanese even the James Martin ones I have are. I have a couple of GLOBAL ones too and a Kasumi but I would love to get some Tojiro...  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 11 Jul 08 4:16pm

Mykael

Occupation Reprographics Co-ordinator / DTP Designer
From Southend-On-Sea
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Re: What is your favourite kitchen knife?

I'll just add this too as it is rather cool
http://japanesechefsknife.com/HowToSharpen.html

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 11 Jul 08 9:31pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Knives.  Well, I could rant on all night about those, and probably will.  In inescapably Freudian order mine are:

8 heavy French cooks,
7 Santoku,
5 boning,
5 serrated slicer,
4 utility,
3 concave slicer.

The Santoku is the default condition; it slices, dices, chops, the flat of the blade crushes, it scoops stuff into the pan.  Its almost a third arm.
The boner does everything involving meat and poultry, except (see below) when it lacks the size for some slicing tasks.  It gets mango off that funny shaped stone too with that flexible blade.
The serrated slicer does tomatoes and any other soft fruit.
The peeler, um peels, particularly good with ginger.
The French cooks knife, poor thing, has the status of a WWII battleship; its big, its spectacular and showy, but its duties are somewhat limited.  Mine is used for cutting a whole sirloin or pork loin, sometimes carving roasted meats, and trimming and cutting a pineapple.  The rest of the time it poses on the rack and preens itself.
The utility does everything else.

Mine are Henckels Five Stars; there is probably little qualitative difference in the top brands, but I like the handles.  They are all maintained using a Norton stone and a steel, details elsewhere on the forum somewhere.  Some people spend a fortune on cars, boats, cosmetics or whatever, but, my motorcycle and my wine aside, my knives are my true indulgence, and something of lasting value that my son will inherit.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 11 Jul 08 11:22pm

Ms Kira

Occupation freelancer
From Greenville, SC
Member since Mon 07 Jul 08

My generic santoku and a short utility knife that sharpens very well. My paring knives are also very sharp.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 12 Jul 08 8:11am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I have a fairly nice set of stamped henckels that we received as a wedding gift. I have a full metal  handle formed with blade wiltshire  chef knife that was very inexpensive but i prefer to use more than the henckle .. it just is easier to pick up an edge and it keeps it longer. I am looking for a good deal on a black ceramic blade veg knife for softer veg.  And next week i am hoping to pick up a Ken Onion designed Shun chef knife .. Hopefully it has been long enough(2yrs) since wedding that our freinds who gave us the henckles won't be insulted.  hmm

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#6 Sat 12 Jul 08 8:51am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Victorinox Fibrox cook's knife.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 12 Jul 08 8:52am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Oh and a small thai cleaver - called kiwi brand. Costs $4 so it doesn't matter when you have to replace it because you didn't realise it wasn't meant to cut through chicken bones.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 12 Jul 08 11:07am

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

I have a set of Berghoffs which I bought Years ago at the Good Food Show I keep them very sharp, but I want to have some more!!! when I get the spare cash.. got to go better!!!

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)