forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 12 Jul 08 3:39am

loz876

Occupation chef
From loughborough
Member since Fri 11 Jul 08

Banoffee pie, pastry base or biscuit?

Right I guess banoffee pie goes back to childhood memories! A very sweet pudding for special occasions! its not something I'd go mad about, but in context it can be fine. My head chef told me it was going on the menu. Ok, boilled up tins of condensed milk, bananas and cream, garnished with chocolate shavings. We do add some baileys to the cream for a more grown up touch! My big question, the base pastry or biscuit? Initially I thought it should be a good shortcrust pastry, not necessarily sweet shortcrust though, but one which is made with all butter. Almost certainly not a biscuit base though, for 2 reasons: I think banoffee has a more pleasing texture with a pastry base and we have a cheesecake that has a biscuit base. Anyway I was told to make it with a biscuit base, so I did, making the base wasn't heavy with butter and layered it up with caramel, bananas and cream. Pastry or biscuit its up to you, but when I've only got 20-30 mins to make them I know the biscuit makes sense! You've just gotta watch the butter to biscuit ratio!

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 12 Jul 08 9:03am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Banoffee pie, pastry base or biscuit?

Welcome to the forums loz876   smile

I much prefer a good biscuit base with a banoffee pie, I had it once with a pastry and I found it to be much sweeter, I think that the biscuit base counteracts some of the sweetness.
But its very much a matter of taste.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 12 Jul 08 11:18am

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

I agree biscuits!!!!!

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 12 Jul 08 2:56pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Me three.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 12 Jul 08 4:22pm

purple-jet-blue

Occupation stay at home mum
From swindon
Member since Mon 05 Mar 07

me four, I always make it the way my nan did .  big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 12 Jul 08 4:29pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Oh biscuit for sure (& its quicker to make too!)

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 14 Jul 08 6:19pm

Punga

Occupation Student
From BC
Member since Thu 08 Jul 04

Any good banoffee pie recipe? I've never had it before.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 14 Jul 08 6:37pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Hi Punga!  I'd love a banofee pie recipe, too. I'll google and see what's there.

Last edited by ANN (Mon 14 Jul 08 6:44pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 14 Jul 08 6:44pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Here's one from Paula Deen.

Banoffee Pie

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
10 tablespoons butter, softened
2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
3 large bananas
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix graham cracker crumbs with softened butter and press mixture into 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes.

Lower the oven to 300 degrees F for the toffee filling.

To create toffee filling, caramelize the sweetened condensed milk. Pour the condensed milk into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Cover with foil and place dish inside a larger poaching pan. Add water to poaching pan until half way up sides of baking dish. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Once both the crust and toffee filling are cooled, spread half of the filling evenly inside crust. Slice the bananas and layer on top of filling. Pour remaining half of filling over bananas, spreading evenly. Whip the cream with the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and spread on top of toffee filling and bananas.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 15 Jul 08 7:53am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Bannoffe pie was served at the meal that I went to at the weekend.. we all agree a biscuit base would be best ..pastry was thought to be ok but for texture and taste biscuit was agreed to be the best !!

Ann I make a biscuit base out of Digestive biscuits , thats the most commen biscuit to use here in the UK , some people use chocolate digestives .
The base is made in a simple way..crushing the digestive biscuits ,mixing in a bit of melted butter and then pressing the crumbs into a dish and leaving it to set in the fridge.(not baked)

I simmer the unopened cans of condenced milk for a couple of hours so that they caramalise and become all lovely and thick .

I construct the Bannoffee pie slightly differently, I put the whole contents of the can of condensed milk onto the biscuit base and then top with the sliced Bananas.
I top it simply with whipped cream (which I do not sweeten ) and then I grate a little chocolate over the top...just a little !

Likes (0)