forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Thu 17 Jul 08 5:20am

mommy4ltg

Occupation Middle School Teacher
From Toronto, Canada
Member since Sat 23 Feb 08

Re: Medieval cooking

I think that a lot of the cooking I grew up with (Portuguese style) is very medieval in that a lot of it is done over fire pits, in large clay pots or copper cauldrons, such as alcatra (like a meat stew cooked in a clay pot) and caldeirada (fish stew in a copper cauldron)...perhaps these are mostly Azorean dishes but I know that every fraguezia (I apologize to the other Portuguese members, my spelling sucks!!) has their own take on different dishes.  Of course, leitao (suckling pig cooked over a fire) is a must in most get-togethers...On the island of Sao Miguel in the Azores, in the Furnas, which is where there are hot springs, they cook food in pits dug into the ground and the heat from the furnas cooks the food. I had it the last time I was there and it was delicious! (if I got any of this info wrong, I'm sorry guys, it's the best way I can explain it in English and being Canadian, my experiences with Portuguese cuisine cam to me via my parents and grandparents...)

So nice to see the Portuguese recipes on here...btw Jamie, have you been to the Azores?
Diane  smile

Last edited by mommy4ltg (Thu 17 Jul 08 5:33am)

Likes (0)

#42 Thu 17 Jul 08 5:24am

Nacks

Member since Wed 16 Jul 08

I think someone else mentioned this but I will double up anyway... a couple of years ago I was on holiday in New Zealand and while in Rotorua I had some traditional Maori food that was cooked in a thermal spring (the spring looked like a naturally formed giant cauldron in the ground bubbling away!). I believe that Maori people have been cooking food that way for many hundreds of years! It tasted great! No gas/power/burning wood required smile.

I love New Zealand, great place!  big_smile

Likes (0)

#43 Thu 17 Jul 08 9:02am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

rabbit77,
we really are there where it started, that is the fascinating thing about travelling on the wings of food, you never know where you are landed and in which "era", I think beyond all studies on DNA, there are lots of surviving knowledge "astuzie" flowing in our veins that cannot be proven by any machine, but are undoubtedly there, the point is not to let them sleep, and that is what  people like Jamie with his enthusiasm do

bravi everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Likes (0)

#44 Thu 17 Jul 08 10:05am

Alian

Member since Thu 17 Jul 08

Dear Jamie,
I was a volunteer in a dutch archeological theme park (archeon) for a couple of years. Here they have made reconstructions of certain ages: from hunters/gatherers huts trough medieval town and monastery. The park is "inhabited" by re-anactors, people (like me) who try to really show the way of living, including cookery. I used to be in de bronze-age farm so I have not a lot of experience with medieval cookery. We exchanged recipes and thougts between the ages though. Bread baking was still quite the same allthough grinding the flower is much harder in de bronze age (by hand) In medieval times they closed the wood-oven doors with dough, did you know that? it makes is possible to check the baking proces in the oven from the outside: if the bread on the door (that also prevends leaking of hot air) is ready, the bread on the inside is too! In my bronze age, the flower was so hard-worked for, that we rather closed our oven with clay.
I found you some links to interesting websites with medieval recipes ( in Dutch and/or English) I'm not sure if it is allowed to post them here?

what I still use regularly in my kitchen is smoking (but i do have a modern smoker-pan), making lentill soup, and my special way to prepare trout. Take fresh trouts, cleaned (or clean them first) put herbs that you find (I usually make this recipe when camping) in the cavitiy (thyme, cut sorrelleaves, rosemary, some "daslook"(a herb that smells like garlic but looks like lily of the valley, i don't know the english word for it,javascript:emoticon('oops') sorry.) combine it with pieces of bacon (lardons). Roll the trouts in sorrelleaves and put them on the (coles of the) fire or barbeque. It tastes so very good!
yummy

Likes (0)

#45 Thu 17 Jul 08 11:02am

Eudora1974

Member since Tue 15 Jul 08

Hi from Spain (from the southeast),

It`s difficult talk about medieval inheritance in our gastronomy... do you know a typical spanish recipe, from coast to coast, named "migas"; is a recipe wich came from the shepherds and farmers, they did it in open air, with a bonfire and a pan; flour or bread, and any kind of meat or sausages, even salted fish... perhaps the italian gastronomy have something like this. I think that the "migas" is a very old recipe, perhaps medieval.

Likes (0)

#46 Thu 17 Jul 08 4:37pm

Zhang

W. [Visitor]
Thu 17 Jul 2008 @ 15:27
Hello, i love food and all the fantastic pictures never fail each time to make my mouth water  yummy  clap  I have a home economics project (We have to cook a dish and within one hour) and i would really love it if you could share some recipes and ideas with me? I was thinking perhaps prawns or chicken because i can get fresh prawns and thats the best!  big_smile   help  help  help  help  help  help  help

Loving your ideas, jamie!  thumbsup

P.S Please reply as soon as possible please because the recipe is due next week! But i'll understand if you really cant because you are busy  big_smile

Likes (0)

#47 Thu 17 Jul 08 4:40pm

marciacrg

Occupation Jornalism
From Brasília - Brazil
Member since Wed 25 Jun 08

Hi dear Jamie

I finaly made my own pasta. It was great but itīs long so much because was the first time. I were thinking if pasta was possible in medieval time... What are you think? smile

Likes (0)

#48 Thu 17 Jul 08 4:49pm

kever

Hi Jamie!

Last Year I completed a 2 year Culinary Course and I have just started my own Catering Business. I have not used the medievil cooking methods you discribe however I love the flavour of food that has been cooked over an open flame. Also do you have any tips you could give me about  large catering? I am just doing  maximum 50 people right now, but I want to get into hundreds and was wondering how you cook all that food at once for that many people and not have it go cold on ya?

Likes (0)

#49 Thu 17 Jul 08 5:28pm

SueJohnson

From Lancashire
Member since Mon 14 Jul 08

marciacrg wrote:

Hi dear Jamie

I finaly made my own pasta. It was great but itīs long so much because was the first time. I were thinking if pasta was possible in medieval time... What are you think? smile

I'm sure it was.  I vaguely remember from my research years ago that pasta/noodles of some sort were eaten in 13th century Italy.  If only I could remember where all my medieval books were (somewhere in a box in the attic...)

Likes (0)

#50 Thu 17 Jul 08 9:27pm

marciacrg

Occupation Jornalism
From Brasília - Brazil
Member since Wed 25 Jun 08

SueJohnson wrote:

marciacrg wrote:

Hi dear Jamie

I'm sure it was.  I vaguely remember from my research years ago that pasta/noodles of some sort were eaten in 13th century Italy.  If only I could remember where all my medieval books were (somewhere in a box in the attic...)

exclaim
Tanks for this information....

Likes (0)