Jamie Oliver

forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 23 Jul 08 5:20pm

ColinAndNicki

From Baldivis, Western Australia
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

A vegetarians view...

We are watching Jamie's Fowl Dinners, and we applaud him for what he is trying to achieve.

Yes I agree that some of scene's are graphic, gasing the chicks in particular, but sometimes this is the best way to get the point across.  It is not until you see the scale of factory farming that you that it actually sinks in.

I have seen footage like this, and worse, from animal welfare groups, so it is very interesting to hear come from Jamie's view point.

I believe everyone should know where there food comes and everyone should should consider this before they make a purchase.

I consider myself a compasionate shopper but it even reminded me about ingredients, which I'm sorry to say I have become to slack about.  My view is that if a supermarket, coffee shop, or anyone else that sells food, should be able to tell you what and where their ingredients came from.  If they can't, you should give your money to someone who can.

This is not a rant from a vegetarian, all i want to do is to show my respect to someone who is truly passionate about changing a system for the better. 

Well done me old son!!!

Colin Morrison

P.S. Fancy making me some roast parsnips???

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 24 Jul 08 2:06am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: A vegetarians view...

Thanks for the post, Collin - it is really good to hear a balance and well thought out view from a vegetarian.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 23 Aug 08 10:51pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Did you visit free range and other more humane (than factory farm) farms?

I don't think it's fair to state that you refuse to watch his shows about chicken, then demand a vegetarian cookbook. That almost sounds like you want him to cater to a certain viewpoint, but not expect him to ask people to listen to the other(s).

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 23 Aug 08 11:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forums ColinAndNicki  and dixieandspirit   smile

ColinAndNicki , some of the supermarkets in the UK put little pictures of the farmers that have produced the food onto the packaging.

dixieandspirit , amongst the pages of all the Jamie Oliver cook books there are quite a number of vegatarian recipes . I don't think that I would like a chef who works primarily with meat of fish dishes to write a Vegatarian cookbook.
To me it would be like going to a Plumber and asking him to sort out an Electrical problem !!!

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 24 Aug 08 6:34pm

Delarn

Member since Fri 20 Jul 07

Vegetarian ... Do you know we are the only animal that choose its diet ! We are omnivore ! We eat everything. Even herbivore will eat rats and chicks to get calcium and protein, ok it's not everyday, but it's frequent.

Meat is as good as veggies ! Hey do you know if a carrot cries when you kill it !

Free the veggies and fruit they got feelings too ;P

Simon

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 25 Aug 08 3:08am

BiggusDoggus

Occupation Househusband
From UK
Member since Thu 05 Jun 08

Delarn wrote:

Vegetarian ... Do you know we are the only animal that choose its diet ! We are omnivore ! We eat everything. Even herbivore will eat rats and chicks to get calcium and protein, ok it's not everyday, but it's frequent.

Meat is as good as veggies ! Hey do you know if a carrot cries when you kill it !

Free the veggies and fruit they got feelings too ;P

Simon

There is evidence that some herbivores (mostly mice and rats) will eat meat, though there is absolutely no evidence that they do so in order to obtain protein and calcium.

Calcium and protein are abundant in grass (and indeed most greenstuffs). This is why cows eat grass instead of lolloping along trying to catch squirrels for dinner.

You'll be telling us that cows eat strawberries and chocolate next so that we can buy flavoured milk in the supermarket.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 28 Aug 08 12:34am

Delarn

Member since Fri 20 Jul 07

wow you didn't see it by yourself ...

This is horrible !

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 28 Aug 08 11:46am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

BiggusDoggus wrote:

You'll be telling us that cows eat strawberries and chocolate next so that we can buy flavoured milk in the supermarket.

Good plan... big_smile  thumbsup
I might ask my farmer freind to try it  lol  lol  lol  lol

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 03 Sep 08 9:44am

Romola

Member since Wed 03 Sep 08

Wow I don't understand why omnivores get so upset when we herbivores have an opinion concerning meat, get over it, and the screaming veges thing is getting a bit old.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 22 Feb 10 9:05pm

kiprosewood12

Occupation Student
From South Wales
Member since Sat 20 Feb 10

this is a good post thanks for sharing your opinions with us , and i agree with you everyone should know where thair food comes from and that is why my family tries to buy local as often as possible.

Likes (0)