Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 23 Jul 08 11:45pm

aplang

Occupation Chef
From New York City
Member since Fri 11 Jul 08

Beer Can Chicken

Hi everyone,

As promised here are a few of my tried and tested recipes. Looking forward to hearing how you get on cooking up a storm with them!!

APL

Allot of people think that the actual liquid inside the can is what makes it moist but I say no it has more to do with the postion of the bird with the breast upright rather than the beer actually vaporising inside the cavity. Be careful when cutting into the bird because it is so super juicy the juice may go everywhere

ACTIVE TIME: 2 HRS
TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS 30 MIN PLUS OVERNIGHT MARINATING
SERVES: 4
ingredients
•2 tablespoons Garlicky Barbecue Marinade
•One 4-pound chicken
•2 tablespoons Seven-Spice Dry Rub
•One 12-ounce can of beer
•1 cup hickory or other hardwood chips, soaked in water
•Cider Mop Spray
•1/2 cup Sweet and Sticky Barbecue Sauce mixed with 1/2 cup water
directions

1.Rub the Garlicky Barbecue Marinade all over the chicken and refrigerate overnight, or for 4 hours at room temperature.
2.Bring the chicken to room temperature and sprinkle the Seven-Spice Dry Rub all over the skin.
3.Light a charcoal fire in a covered grill and set it up for indirect grilling: When the temperature reaches 225°, carefully push the hot coals to one side and place a drip pan filled with 1 cup of water on the opposite side. Alternatively, bring a smoker to 225°. Discard (or drink) half of the beer. Stand the chicken upright on the can, with its legs pointing down.
4.Transfer the chicken on the beer can to the grill, setting it over the drip pan and cover the grill; you'll need to cook the chicken for about 3 hours total. To maintain the temperature at 225°, replenish the charcoal with a fresh batch of burning coals every hour. Add more water to the drip pan when half of it is evaporated. After the first 45 minutes, rotate the chicken, then drain 1/2 cup of the wood chips and scatter them over the coals. After another 45 minutes, drain and scatter the remaining wood chips over the coals. Rotate the chicken again, and spray the chicken with the Cider Mop Spray. Rotate and spray the bird twice more, at 45-minute intervals. The chicken is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted in an inner thigh registers 165°. Remove and discard the beer can. Transfer the bird to a carving board; let rest for 20 minutes.
5.Remove the drip pan from the grill. Stoke the coals and spread them in an even layer. Replenish with fresh coals to make a medium-hot fire. Cut the chicken in half through the backbone and brush it all over with the diluted Sweet and Sticky Barbecue Sauce. Grill the chicken, skin side down, until lightly charred. Turn and brush it with more sauce. Continue grilling, brushing and turning until the chicken skin is crisp and glazed, about 15 minutes. Serve at once.

Last edited by aplang (Wed 23 Jul 08 11:57pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 23 Jul 08 11:52pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Re: Beer Can Chicken

What, if I may ask, are the spices in the 7 spice dry rub?

I ask because, due to availability issues, my best bet will be to try to recreate the rub.

Further, is the garlicky BBQ marinade a bought ingredient, or a recipe of your own?

Finally, I feel compelled to point out a glaring error in your recipe:

Some **** has obviously snuck into your study and edited 'Drink' to 'Discard (or drink)'!

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 24 Jul 08 12:00am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Would the 7 spice dry rub be the same as this that I have just found on 'The Spice Shop ' site ?
I have to admit that I was a bit anxious putting '7 spice rub ' into the google search box as I was unsure what sort of site it might lead me to... fortunatly I need not have worrid as I found this ....

http://www.thespiceshop.co.uk/acatalog/ … atalogBody

Seven Seas Spice mix  Price:   £2.55 
This blend speaks for itself. Key notes, grains of paradise, cassia, cumin, coriander, cardamom, lemon grass, galangal, sesame seeds, tangerine peel, plus a few more to make a bit more than 7 ingredients! Use for rubs on meat or fish or just add to stews and sauces. (50g)

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 24 Jul 08 12:04am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

That looks too suited to an Eastern dish than a BBQ dish. I'm guessing that the rub is pushing more towards the smokiness and a bit of a kick sort of spices (like paprika)

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 24 Jul 08 12:21am

aplang

Occupation Chef
From New York City

The seven spice blend is my own and should be posted in just a bit - sorry bout that

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 24 Jul 08 12:38am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have just found your recipe and it is deffinatly different to the one in the spice shop.
Thank you for posting it so quickly  thumbsup ,I have put in this link to direct members to the recipe.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33066

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 24 Jul 08 9:41am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Adam.. When i was reading your recipe I had a bit of a brainwave and wonder what you think of the idea..It might just be overkill though.

Build a brine solution using the flavour profile of your garlicky marinade and brine the chicken overnight to penetrate the flavour right thru the meat instead of just the outside layer. It doesn't sound like the brine would do much for juicyness in this instance  but it would definitly season the meat right to the bone.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#8 Thu 24 Jul 08 3:01pm

aplang

Occupation Chef
From New York City

Ashen -

That is a cleaver thought and is a great way to do as well - I use brines a lot. 
Bare in mind this.  Whenever you brine something, it will give a more flavorful experience all the way through and the texture will be a "juicy dense". The skin will also take on a less crispy texture.  It all depends on what you look for.  Sometimes I feel like that "style", and others, I really want a punchy spice exterior with a more neutral flesh with running juices.

Let me know how you experience both.

Cheers,

Adam

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 24 Jul 08 3:17pm

Ms Kira

Occupation freelancer
From Greenville, SC
Member since Mon 07 Jul 08

I'm wondering if you couldn't use something else, like glass or ceramic, to hold the beer, since aluminum is such a hazardous metal.

http://www.rense.com/general37/alum.htm

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 24 Jul 08 6:22pm

aplang

Occupation Chef
From New York City

Sure - if that is of concern, you could use a broad based ceramic mug (at least without a handle)

Likes (0)