forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 23 Jul 08 11:49pm

aplang

Occupation Chef
From New York City
Member since Fri 11 Jul 08

Smoky Barbecued Brisket

Barbeque Brisket is a bit denser than when you would braise it but you will have a more concentrated flavour. The outer skin will look dark and burnt, we call that the bark but it is packed with allot of punch

ACTIVE TIME: 4 HRS
TOTAL TIME: 9 HRS 30 MIN
SERVES: 6 TO 8
ingredients
•1/4 cup Garlicky Barbecue Marinade
•One 10-pound beef brisket with a nice layer of fat
•1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Seven-Spice Dry Rub
•4 cups hickory or other hardwood chips, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
•Cider Mop Spray
•2 cups Sweet and Sticky Barbecue Sauce mixed with 2 cups water
•Hamburger buns and hot sauce, for serving
directions

1.Rub the Garlicky Barbecue Marinade all over the brisket and refrigerate overnight.
2.Bring the brisket to room temperature and sprinkle the Seven-Spice Dry Rub all over it.
3.Light a charcoal fire in a covered grill and set it up for indirect grilling: When the temperature reaches 225°, carefully push the hot coals to one side and place a drip pan filled with 1 cup of water on the opposite side. Alternatively, bring a smoker to 225°. Put the brisket over the drip pan, fat side up, and cover the grill; you’ll need to cook the brisket for a total of about 8 hours, rotating the meat (but not turning it over) every 2 hours. Maintain the temperature at 225° by replenishing the charcoal with a fresh batch of burning coals every hour. Every hour, drain 1/2 cup of the wood chips and scatter them over the hot coals. Add more water to the drip pan when half of it is evaporated.
4.After the first 6 hours, spray the brisket generously with the Cider Mop Spray. Continue cooking the brisket, spraying it with the Mop Spray every 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer registers 190° when inserted in the thickest part of the meat. Transfer the brisket to a carving board and let rest for 30 minutes.
5.Pour the diluted Sweet and Sticky Barbecue Sauce into a roasting pan and bring to a simmer. Slice the brisket 1/4 inch thick against the grain and transfer to the roasting pan. Simmer the meat over low heat, basting it with the sauce until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve with the buns and hot sauce.

Last edited by aplang (Wed 23 Jul 08 11:56pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 23 Jul 08 11:53pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Smoky Barbecued Brisket

Crikey Adam , a 10 pound beef brisket seems a heck of a lot of meat for 6-8 people !! Does it shrink much in the cooking ?

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 23 Jul 08 11:56pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

8 hours cooking time? I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 24 Jul 08 12:15am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I would also be suprised if it didn't !

I don't think that my little BBQ would fit a 10lb piece of brisket !   lol
I'd have to scale it all down a bit !

Adam , do you have a recipe for the Garlicky Barbecue Marinade please and can you tell me what the Cider Mop Spray is . ( is it simply cider in a spray ?)

Many thanks.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 24 Jul 08 12:24am

aplang

Occupation Chef
From New York City

It does shrink quite a bit - 6-8 when my friends are eating. Sorry the marinade and spray should be posted shortly.

Just cut it in half if too big

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 24 Jul 08 12:34am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

cut it in half  !...it may need a bit more cutting than that !!!

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 24 Jul 08 12:35am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Just cut the ruddy thing up!
whistle

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 24 Jul 08 1:26am

aplang

Occupation Chef
From New York City

Mummza - what'cha cookin on?

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 24 Jul 08 4:24am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

This looks great Adam, thanks. 4 different sauces, incredible! We will definitely fit as much of this as we can on our Weber, I'm betting the leftovers are to die for . . . thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 24 Jul 08 9:42am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I am gonna have to try this one out.. would you do thick chuck beef ribs in a similar way?

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)