forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#231 Thu 11 Aug 11 1:03am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

Re: Vegetables and fruits that we have forgotten about....

Cardoon stalks can be covered with small, nearly invisible spines that can cause substantial pain if they become lodged in the skin. Several spineless cultivars have been developed to overcome this, but care in handling is recommended for all types. Cardoon requires a long, cool growing season (about five months), but it is frost-sensitive. It also typically requires substantial growing space per plant, so is not much grown save where it is a regional favorite.
( quote of wikipedia )

I think that there are to much reasons why its not much there anymore in the kitchen.

While the flower buds can be eaten much as the artichoke, more often the stems are eaten after being braised in cooking liquid. Battered and fried, the stems are also traditionally served at St. Joseph's altars in New Orleans.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#232 Thu 11 Aug 11 1:08am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

Rhubarb any of you eat this still? whistle

Likes (0)

#233 Fri 12 Aug 11 2:59am

Tembleque

Occupation Unemployed
From Northern USA
Member since Fri 12 Aug 11

I like rhubarb..it's  good spring produce and the plants can be from farmsteads of yesteryear. It's pleasant with good yogurt, stewed up with sugar and also made into pie or crisp. this time of year I would like to try some rosehips, maybe preserve them or just sample off the rosebush. High in vitamin C! This summer i used rosepetals for cake decorating and in ice cubes. Rose is such a great scent and flavor not always used in European cooking.

a special favorite of mine is tea berry, a wintergreen taste found in nature. The red berries are great when you're outside and the leaves also have a similar flavor.

Likes (0)

#234 Fri 19 Aug 11 3:33am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Not rare or unusual in our area, but I found the biggest tomatillos this week.  I made a classic tomatillo salsa and have enough to make another batch.  I really like them, they're so tangy and bright.

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 19 Aug 11 3:34am)

Likes (0)

#235 Sun 04 Sep 11 6:13pm

Tip top

Member since Sun 04 Sep 11

Hi Jamie,

A few years ago, I was delighted to discover one of the most delicious fruits I've ever had - Mulberries. I still can't believe how amazing these berries are, yet we never see them in the shops and rarely hear of Mulberry trees. Since tasting them, I've 'found' only 3 trees! I intend to grow a small 'espaliered' Mulberry, hopefully there is a dwarf variety, as my garden is quite small and the trees are huge!
Also, I tasted Sorrel for the first time recently - gorgeous, and never in the shops either to eat or as seed to grow. I managed to find some seeds eventually, but its really overlooked and a very tasty leaf.
Tracy

Likes (0)

#236 Sun 04 Sep 11 6:27pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum Tip top ,

I dont think there is a dwarf variety , tough I might be wrong.

ulberry trees take a bit of care as they are not the strongest of tree but the fruit is delicious.
My Grandmoher used to have a house for a while that had a Mulberry tree in the graden .

Likes (0)

#237 Mon 05 Sep 11 1:21am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Enjoy your mulberry tree Tip top.
I was given one once but had to choose between a good berry variety for me and a good leaf variety for the silkworms I wanted to raise! I ended up with 'Hick's fancy' which they said suited both things.
However fate intervened and I had to move before it was ready to fruit (or support silkworms).
I remember huge trees in Bendigo that seemed to drip blood when the fruit was ripe! yummy

Likes (0)

#238 Mon 05 Sep 11 2:08pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Tembleque wrote:

Rose is such a great scent and flavor not always used in European cooking.

Not sure where you get your information from..............but Rosewater has been used in dessert/confectionary in England since Mediaeval times (ie around 1000 years!) as has Orange Flower Water (the recipes etc brought back by the Crusaders when they returned from the East).

I use both regularly in sweet & (less usual now) in savoury dishes. I also use Lavender, Jasmine & Marigold frequently too.

Likes (0)

#239 Mon 05 Sep 11 2:12pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Am waiting for a good day to start picking some Medlars (they need to blett before they can be cooked so thought I would set some early ones off so I can make jelly as soon as poss).

Likes (0)

#240 Tue 06 Sep 11 1:56am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

How do you set early ones off Minerva? I thought they just sat on the tree and you waited until they were bletted?

Likes (0)