Subscribe to forums RSS

#111 Tue 12 Mar 13 10:07pm

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Re: Spam and advertising on the Forums

Sorry, Wine-O, I posted without seeing your post, as, I'm at my daughters place - I started my post & had to go feed my grandson & put him to bed - came back to finish my post on her partners IPad thingy when I'm used to our pc at home!  wink
Your've brought up some good points there - I hope Jamie 's HQ Online take onboard some of your comments.
Like Mummza has said hopefully things will settle down eventually, so, I hope you will stick around!
Oh! just remembered - I frequent a forum where ALL links aren't highlighted - one has to copy/paste to view them - that would slow down the spammers somewhat....Cheers, Kris smile

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Tue 12 Mar 13 10:22pm)

Likes (0)

#112 Wed 13 Mar 13 9:57am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

I've signed in this morning and almost all threads are SPAM.  This means, I shall not be joining in today, probably!  It's quite unacceptable, especially as I belong to another forum under the name of a very well known lady and there's never any spam in there at all.

Why does it work for her and not for JO's site, please?

Mind you, I may never get this post to submit, either!!!!!

Likes (0)

#113 Wed 13 Mar 13 11:37am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Kiwi Kris wrote:

Sorry, Wine-O, I posted without seeing your post, as, I'm at my daughters place - I started my post & had to go feed my grandson & put him to bed - came back to finish my post on her partners IPad thingy when I'm used to our pc at home!  wink
Your've brought up some good points there - I hope Jamie 's HQ Online take onboard some of your comments.
Like Mummza has said hopefully things will settle down eventually, so, I hope you will stick around!
Oh! just remembered - I frequent a forum where ALL links aren't highlighted - one has to copy/paste to view them - that would slow down the spammers somewhat....Cheers, Kris smile

I am not sure what the soltion is Kris, but I am happy to leave the web team to sort ot all out , this sort of iissue has happened before and sometimes seems to come along with changes in the structure of the forum , I know how hard the web team works and I am sure they will think of a solution before too long.

In my post I was trying to give the web team some support , we all know that there is a huge problem at the moment but I find it tedious that there end up to be many posts complaining after many of the spam posts, as we have been given this thread to voice our opinions on,  is there any real need to write anything other than 'reported' all over the forum when spam is found ,  . Other opinions can then be vocied on this dedicated thread or on the issues and complaints thread.

I have noticed that the spammers generally make 4 or 5 posts and then seem to change their forum name but the posts are much the same. there are of course exceptions ad some spammers post 50 plus times.
I have noticed also that recently many mornings when I sign into the forum a great deal of spam posts have happened throughout the night, ( I am in the UK) .
These seem to get cleared fairly quickly each day .

Likes (0)

#114 Wed 13 Mar 13 11:54am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

It might be a good idea, please, if those reporting spam just highlighting whose spam.  To all intents and purposes it looks like my last post has been reported.  Surely not! hmm

Likes (0)

#115 Wed 13 Mar 13 12:00pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Mummza, I'd "quote" you but I'm aware that some members "pay to use" and me, I pay for downloads and uploads, so I won't quote wink.

I notice that when I check in in the morning (when much of UK and Europe is asleep or "almost" asleep) that the spam is "simmering" and gets into a stride in my afternoon (I live in Australia). So we're talking 01.00-07.00 GMT.

I also notice that the offending "members" have often been members for a week or a little more.

I don't know if that helps our moderators here or not. It's merely my casual observations smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#116 Wed 13 Mar 13 12:38pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

yes your right Maree about the time the offenders have been new members , some time ago when there were other issues with spam I remember Eric or Danny saying that they were imposig a restriction so that new members vcannot post a link for a week ( it might have been 2 weeks initially and then the rulle was rlaxed but I cant remember) This helped for a while.
Its really annoying for new forum members who are legit but it seemed to help, but now the spammers seem to have overridden this.

Likes (0)

#117 Wed 13 Mar 13 12:43pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Thistledo wrote:

It might be a good idea, please, if those reporting spam just highlighting whose spam.  To all intents and purposes it looks like my last post has been reported.  Surely not! hmm

I think thats one of the difficulties with this system , we started wrting 'reported' some years ago when there was a similar problem so that other forum members were aware that the spam had already been reproted and the moderators were not overwhelmed with reports .
sometimes we remember to remove those posts that just say 'reported ' , but sometimes we dont but the other thing is that many of us are in different time zones.

Likes (0)

#118 Wed 13 Mar 13 1:12pm

Maree

Forum champ

mummza wrote:

Thistledo wrote:

I think thats one of the difficulties with this system , we started wrting 'reported' some years ago when there was a similar problem so that other forum members were aware that the spam had already been reproted and the moderators were not overwhelmed with reports .
sometimes we remember to remove those posts that just say 'reported ' , but sometimes we dont but the other thing is that many of us are in different time zones.

Thank you, Mummza. If I report someone (I use the term advisedly as it appears that some of the spammers are bots rather than people), I endeavour to delete my "Reported" post. But, yes, I am in a different time zone so this may not happen as promptly as I'd like. Hey, I have to sleep wink.

Yes, I remember when new members' and their links were restricted. But this recent "mob" seem to have gotten around this as they tend to have "joined" a week or so (at least) before they start posting their rubbish.

Likes (0)

#119 Wed 13 Mar 13 1:18pm

Maree

Forum champ

Thistledo, I reported the post previous to your second-last post on this thread.

It has since been deleted by the moderators.

I have also deleted my "Reported" post.

I don't think, with the utmost respect, that we need to turn on each other in these difficult and frustrating times smile.

Likes (0)

#120 Wed 13 Mar 13 1:34pm

Maree

Forum champ

OK, and apologies for multiple posts, this "Reported"-post thing that some of us have been accustomed to (so as other members are aware and the mods don't drown with reports) is not working due to time zone differences.

As of now, I will continue to report as requested by Merlin but I won't post that I have.

I have attempted to delete my "Reported" posts as soon as I can when the offending posts have been deleted by the mods. I have to sleep. I have to work. I am studying. I do what I can.

Last edited by Maree (Wed 13 Mar 13 1:40pm)

Likes (0)