forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#121 Wed 13 Mar 13 1:41pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Spam and advertising on the Forums

Maree, I didn't think I had turned on anyone!  I think my suggestion is a good one, whatever the time zone.

Likes (0)

#122 Wed 13 Mar 13 1:45pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Quoting the spam is perpetuating the advertising, so that is not a good idea and only gives the moderators one more thing to remove.  Typing 'reported' as a post seems very unnecessary and it doesn't leave the spam posts as the last post, which would be more helpful to someone searching for them to delete them.  I suggest everyone remain patient.  The spam is being dealt with in a timely fashion.

Likes (0)

#123 Wed 13 Mar 13 2:00pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Thistledo wrote:

Maree, I didn't think I had turned on anyone!  I think my suggestion is a good one, whatever the time zone.

My comments were not directed at anyone in particular, Thistledo.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#124 Wed 13 Mar 13 2:09pm

Maree

Forum super champ

mummza wrote:

Thistledo wrote:

It might be a good idea, please, if those reporting spam just highlighting whose spam.  To all intents and purposes it looks like my last post has been reported.  Surely not! hmm

I think thats one of the difficulties with this system , we started wrting 'reported' some years ago when there was a similar problem so that other forum members were aware that the spam had already been reproted and the moderators were not overwhelmed with reports .
sometimes we remember to remove those posts that just say 'reported ' , but sometimes we dont but the other thing is that many of us are in different time zones.

It's what we've done since I became a member.

As I've posted previously, I'm not doing it any more (apologies to the mods). It's two extra steps for me: post as reported and then find that post and delete it. I don't need the hassle.

Likes (0)

#125 Wed 13 Mar 13 2:58pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Hello all. I'm sorry this problem has been so drawn-out - we are getting there, slowly but surely. I appreciate your input in helping to quash it so much, but what I would ask is not to worry about overwhelming me with reports but to please include the username of the offender in your report - it helps so much to be able to quickly find and block them.

If you have questions do keep 'em coming.

Thanks a million,
Merlin

Likes (0)

#126 Wed 13 Mar 13 3:03pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Merlin wrote:

Hello all. I'm sorry this problem has been so drawn-out - we are getting there, slowly but surely. I appreciate your input in helping to quash it so much, but what I would ask is not to worry about overwhelming me with reports but to please include the username of the offender in your report - it helps so much to be able to quickly find and block them.

Thanks a million,
Merlin

Surely, Merlin, if we report the post (within the "offending post") that would be sufficient?

Obviously not.

OK ...

Likes (0)

#127 Wed 13 Mar 13 5:35pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Maree wrote:

Merlin wrote:

Thanks a million,
Merlin

Surely, Merlin, if we report the post (within the "offending post") that would be sufficient?

Obviously not.

OK ...

Maree,

As I'm not the only JO.com employee with admin privileges, if a post is deleted after it's reported before I can get to it then I lose the ability to see the user's name and block them. If reports have usernames attached then it doesn't matter and I can block them post-deletion.

Likes (0)

#128 Wed 13 Mar 13 9:05pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Merlin wrote:

Maree wrote:

Merlin wrote:

Thanks a million,
Merlin

Obviously not.

OK ...

Maree,

As I'm not the only JO.com employee with admin privileges, if a post is deleted after it's reported before I can get to it then I lose the ability to see the user's name and block them. If reports have usernames attached then it doesn't matter and I can block them post-deletion.

get some mods on that know what they are doing...

On the other forum I moderate I can ban the f3ckers...quarantine the post... and most of the time the members are unaware that  that there has even been a spam post..

In the meantime, one of the Mods (Site owner) will add any of the links in the spam post to a banned list...making posting spam pointless..

Likes (0)

#129 Wed 13 Mar 13 10:37pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Merlin wrote:

Maree wrote:

Merlin wrote:

Thanks a million,
Merlin

Obviously not.

OK ...

Maree,

OK, sorry. Have just reported two posts before I read this, Merlin.

"Name" is a bizarre jumble of upper/ lower case letters and numbers. Both were re Gucci bags.

Sorry about the long quote.

Likes (0)

#130 Thu 14 Mar 13 4:49am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

lot's of spam tonight....it gets tiresome.

Likes (0)