Curry Recipe

Can anyone tell me a tasty recipe for either chicken or a beef curry.Thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 10 Aug 08 12:51am

Jeenas Recipes

From Maine USA
Member since Sun 20 Apr 08

Re: Curry Recipe

You can check out this curry index page if you like http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/ … cipes.html   

thumbsup  big_smile  tongue

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 03 Sep 08 8:37am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Coconut chicken curry
Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
750g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into thirds
1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons red curry paste
1 lemongrass stem, trimmed, bruised, thinly sliced
1 small red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
400ml can coconut milk
15 fresh curry leaves
1 cup coriander leaves
1/2 lime, juiced
steamed jasmine rice, coriander sprigs and lime wedges, to serve
Method
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add half the chicken. Cook, turning occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Reduce heat to medium-high. Add remaining oil to wok. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add turmeric, curry paste, lemongrass and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
Stir in coconut milk and curry leaves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Return chicken to wok. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir in coriander and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Spoon over rice and top with coriander sprigs. Serve with lime wedges.

beef curry
Ingredients
2 tbs sunflower oil
2 tbs ground cumin
3 dry red chillies
2 tbs yellow mustard seeds
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
6 fresh curry leaves
600g chuck or topside, diced
1 tbs garam masala
1 tbs turmeric
2 cinnamon sticks
300ml beef stock
300ml coconut cream
2 tbs chopped fresh coriander
Mango raita and naan, to serve
Method
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the cumin, chilli, mustard seeds, onion, garlic and curry leaves and cook for 1 minute until you hear the mustard seeds start to pop. Add the beef and cook for a further 2 minutes, turning the beef in the spice mixture. Add the garam masala, turmeric, cinnamon and stock, then season with salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove lid and cook for 15 minutes uncovered. Add coconut cream and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to combine.
Stir in the coriander and serve with the mango raita and naan.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 03 Sep 08 5:42pm

Paul_c

Occupation Between positions
From Manchester
Member since Sat 02 Aug 08

what KIND of "curry"?

what heat?  and/or combination of flavours and what texture. also is it just the typical "meat n sauce plus naan and a little rice"  or do you want to try a full range of foods? 

also i am yet to find a mild curry which works well with beef. tha flavours just are not compatible. stronger currys frankly hide the flavour of the meat with isnt good either. and also very few indians ever do a "beef" curry.   

korma  very mild rich and creamy. ideal for chicken doesnt work at all with beef.

balti. more heat but a tangy tomato flavour can be done with beef but tbh is much better with lamb or prawns.

saag similar to balti but with the addition of loads of spinach.

samba. hot and sweet spicy taste. which can be overpowering but with the addition of extra yogert or sugar makes itmuch easier on the pallet. needs constant testing to get the right heat for yourself. 

pilauf. a rice dish. med strength taste wise. quick n easy one of my personal favouties. similar to a biriani in style

vindaloo.  very hot similar to samba in heat but with none of the taste in my opinion on only realy eaten by lads on the piss according to the waiter at my favourite indian.

any indian "meat" curry recipie can use any meat in my practical experiance from a purly cooking perspective. how the taste binds with and combines with all the ingridiants is something which takes time to learn and needs constant tasting. and if buying the spices from an " ehtinic" store which i DO adives you do for costs and quality reasons (not to mention the fact that they are normaly very helpfull and offer advice to make the food better) watch the strength of them me and the missus got some chillie powder which was so hot a tiny pinch was enough to almost ruin mosh dishes which wernt creamy. despite us both liking hot indian it was to much for us. 

if doing a creamy sauce i recomend marinading the meat for atleast 24 hours in a little yougert with all the spices already in it. adding the rest of the yougert when cooking.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 03 Sep 08 7:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forums WeLovecooking   big_smile

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12902

This is an excellent thread to read through.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 05 Sep 08 6:39pm

thali_lover

Member since Fri 05 Sep 08

re: Paul_C's post:
saag IS spinach, or more authentically spinach-like mustard greens. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a TYPE of curry. saag dishes are like any other veg dishes - named for the veg that is in them, ie, saag aloo = spinach potato, gobi aloo = cauliflower potato, etc.
and I think by 'samba', you mean sambar/sambhar - not a 'curry' in south indian lingo but delicious whatever you call it. there are some great, authentic recipes for sambhars on www.recipezaar.com
yum!

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 05 Sep 08 9:41pm

Paul_c

Occupation Between positions
From Manchester
Member since Sat 02 Aug 08

i use the spelling from manchesters curry mile for samba .

and saag is recognised there as a distinctive type of indian cuisine. normaly it apears on the northern indian style menues and resturants.
. interstingly  spinach and cheese is know as both palak paneer and saag paneer possibly due to different dialects from differnt parts of the indian subcontinent or even though poor translation.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 12 Dec 09 12:47am

buffalopaul

Member since Fri 11 Dec 09

I used to live in Manchester and, like Paul_c had the most delicious 'Samba' curries, which were my absolute fav, from curry mile but also Stretford and Altrincham. I mainly had them made with keema (minced lamb), and they were everything you said they should be fiery hot, aromatic, flavoursome, sweet and sour (but not sickly sweet like some currys). They were usually garnished with lemon segments.

Since moving back down south I am very disappointed. Very bog standard selection of currys - some variation but not nearly the choice I had all over Greater Manchester. I guess it's a regional thing, perhaps the Samba is produced in a certain part of India/Pakistan/Bangladesh and isn't part of the menu down here because of a differences in population/migration/culture.

Anyway - I miss it and no-one here seems to have heard of it. They do describe a Southern Indian dish known as Sambar, but that doesn't sound as hot and zesty as the Samba I know and love.

If anyone knows how I should describe this dish/ what region it is from/ where I can ask for it down south that would be great...otherwise I might have to move back up North for the curry!!

Last edited by buffalopaul (Sat 12 Dec 09 12:48am)

Likes (0)