forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 22 Aug 08 1:57pm

Nelo

Occupation Architect
From Valencian region. Spain
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

How to cook original PAELLA

Hi, I'm a spanish guy native from the region where paella was born: Valencia. I have Erasmus friends  thumbsup and usually have observed that they get shocked when come to Valencia and taste the original recipe of paella, because they believed that paella recipe had others ingredients that (in fact) never must be used to make paella. Since then, they are adiccted to the original recipes  mrgreen

The first think they unknowned was that only exist two basic recipes of paella: one with chicken meat, rosemary, sweet artichohes, and beans; and other with seafood (mussels, calamary and prawns). After you can add other ingredients like rabbit or duck meat, to the chicken and beans paella (never sausage or chorizo) but THE BASIC RULE IS NEVER MIX SEAFOOD WITH MEAT TO MAKE PAELLA. yikes

Moreover is very important the choice of rice to use. The rice always must be short (varietys "Bomba" or "Senia" for exemple), but not "Basmati" or asian large rice.

To give color you can use saffron better, but if you can't achieve that (can be expensive), you can add other yellow coloring (NEVER curry, one paella NEVER must result piquant or too much spicy) to the broth before add the rice. Add the rice over the broth making a cross. Shake softly the pan to extend rice.

Finaly have to season the paella with some lemon juice, and enjoy it. crossed

Well friends, here I left several links of the betters valencian paella expert's  page where explains all about the history, ingredients, recipes and cooking of paella  roll (and even other valencian tipycal rice recipes like "arroz a banda" or "arroz al horno" yummy ). Are in spanish, but has many photos, details, and if you have any question about anything of, I can translate or explain  the answers you need.

The original recipe of paella valenciana (with chicken and beans):

http://www.galbis.com/w/principal-paella-galbis-uk.htm

http://www.lapaella.net/paella-valencia … iana1.aspx

The original recipe of paella marinera (paella with seafood):

http://www.lapaella.net/recetas/arroces … de-marisco

Videos of cooking original paellas:

At kitchen

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=KozLYSILHb4

At camping

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=vzERjkUidu0

I hope that help you wink . Greetings.

Last edited by Nelo (Fri 22 Aug 08 6:10pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 22 Aug 08 4:58pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Re: How to cook original PAELLA

I just love paella!!!! shame since the food allergy I cant have prawns... I just loved a big plate of paella with chicken, chorizo, prawns & mussels.... YUM!  yummy

I think the best one I had was when I went to Barcelona... But mind you, I've never been to Valencia so.... Maybe next holidays??  wink

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 22 Aug 08 5:52pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Oddly, some of the best seafood Paella I've had have been in France, in the Languedoc (which has fabulous seafood). I suppose its the Spanish connection - they even have bullfights there.

Open air events almost always include an enormous paella - cooked in a 2+ metre diameter pan.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 22 Aug 08 6:28pm

Nelo

Occupation Architect

French_vanilla wrote:

I just love paella!!!! shame since the food allergy I cant have prawns... I just loved a big plate of paella with chicken, chorizo, prawns & mussels.... YUM!  yummy

Well, real paella never mix seafood with meat wink . I'ts a common error that some people believes frecuently. That what you refer is the recipe knowed as "Mixed rice", a modern dish of touristic places, but acording tradition there is paella with seafood, or paella with chicken meat, not paella with anything mixed.

PD:I was in your country on holiday six years ago. Nice country, music, and food.

Last edited by Nelo (Fri 22 Aug 08 6:40pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 22 Aug 08 8:20pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

I think you will find as with all dishes, from all countries in any style etc etc..

Paella is different dependant on region, time of year and the person doing the cooking!

If you live in an area that has loads of chicken but the sea is 200miles away you are going to make it with chicken and vice-versa. (and if rabbits etc etc).
Again if your area uses lots of garlic you may add lots of garlic as you are used to it
(I mean, I add garlic to all my traditional English cuisine even add red wine to cottage pie.. which in my parents day would never have even been thought about)

and different chefs, cooks and the like all do things in their own way... some may like to add lots of chopped fresh tomato, some may not like the taste or be allergic to saffron and use none or something like turmeric.

I'm sure the recipes you give are fantastic and classed as the real deal where you are but if you make it and your neighbour makes it, their neighbour, his dad, his friend, the fella in the next village, next town, next city, next country etc each will be a little different... thats they way food and cooking goes...

Steve

Last edited by AskCy (Fri 22 Aug 08 8:31pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 23 Aug 08 5:23pm

Nelo

Occupation Architect

AskCy wrote:

I think you will find as with all dishes, from all countries in any style etc etc..

Paella is different dependant on region, time of year and the person doing the cooking!

If you live in an area that has loads of chicken but the sea is 200miles away you are going to make it with chicken and vice-versa. (and if rabbits etc etc).
Again if your area uses lots of garlic you may add lots of garlic as you are used to it
(I mean, I add garlic to all my traditional English cuisine even add red wine to cottage pie.. which in my parents day would never have even been thought about)

and different chefs, cooks and the like all do things in their own way... some may like to add lots of chopped fresh tomato, some may not like the taste or be allergic to saffron and use none or something like turmeric.

I'm sure the recipes you give are fantastic and classed as the real deal where you are but if you make it and your neighbour makes it, their neighbour, his dad, his friend, the fella in the next village, next town, next city, next country etc each will be a little different... thats they way food and cooking goes...

Steve

Hi AskCy. You’re very confused. roll

You can’t make “Pasta with pesto” with ketchup or mustard instead of “pesto”, Hot dogs with "surimi", or Kebab mixing lamb and fish, because these dishes have specific recipes and if you make differents “versions” of them, then you you’re making another dishes but no “Pasta with pesto”, Hot dogs, or Kebab.

Another example: Everywhere you travel, in Germany, USA, Germany, UK, Italy, France (and even in Spain) if you wanna taste chucrut in a restaurant, the chef will cook chucrut, not lattuce leaves with vinager; the chucrut recipe (or the pasta recipes, etc) it's the same recipe wherever you go  but if you wanna eat “paella”, everywhere, it's impossible because they will serve you everything but paella. They no are making “versions” of paella, they simply unknown how is real paella recipe.

And their “versions” usually could be nice too, of course, but are not paella, they simply are different “rice recipes”, like are Rissotto, Milanese rice, or the chinese fried rice recipe.

In Spain, and specially in Valencian region, exist many different recipes of rice, and many of them (for example “arroz a banda” or “arroz al horno”) are very similar to the two traditional types of paella, but nobody calls it paella because it are not paella (for example, the “arroz a banda” it's a yellow coloured rice cooked in a pan like paella, but it has “chorizo” and “morcilla” too, and paella hasn’t).

Seems paella, but it is’nt. This recipe it's called “arrós al forn”. yummy

[img]http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/983/arrsalfornoc1.th.jpg[/img]

Seems paella, but it is’nt. This recipe it's called “arrós a banda”. yummy

[img]http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9707/arrsabandajo6.th.png[/img]

Seems paella but, it is’nt. This recipe it’s called “fideuŕ" because it has special noodles instead of rice. yummy

[img]http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/2927/fideura5.th.jpg[/img]

And more traditional valencian rice recipes that are not paellas.

[img]http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/5732/gastronomiavalencianaoe7.th.jpg[/img]

How I’ve said opening this post, I’m from the land where paella was born (Valencian region) and have been cooked using the same way during centuries, so I know what I’m saying (rice in valencian gastronomy it's like pasta in Italy, and exist several typical rice recipes; but each one has its own name and everybody knows that only two types are, in fact, paella). I never would try to tell to one italian how to cook pasta recipes, or to one englishman how to cook roastbeef or plumcake, because they are their national recipes and obviusly they know how to cook it better than I’ll never can know. In this post I only wanted to share with all the visitors the real paella recipes, and answer all their questions about, so I hope that my explanation has helped you to know better the traditional valencian cooking. wink

Last edited by Nelo (Sat 23 Aug 08 6:06pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 23 Aug 08 7:29pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Nelo, thank you for adding to our knowledge of classic paella dishes.  Aside from this interesting discussion about variations, you may want to post the most 'classic' recipes in this thread:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 70&p=1

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 23 Aug 08 7:41pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

thank you Nelo for your convincing and appassionate explanantions. Classic recipes have surely their rules. But in the same family if you speak with different relatives or if you could "spiare" the cooking secrets of various old aunts, you would discover impercettibili little variations on the same theme, which make the same recipe personalized ........... as if an orchestra director interpretasse  the same sonata or VA PENSIERO  ........ the author is Verdi, no doubt, the notes are written but the music can be interpretata 

I'm not able to do the same pizza twice the same .......... when it is a successo my husband is already sad thinking to the next and wondering how it's going to taste smile  hmm  big_smile

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 23 Aug 08 9:46pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Thank you, Nelo, I have always avoided or ignored Paella recipes because I associated it with seafood which I do not eat.  When on vacation in Spain or the Canaries I have often seen Paella being cooked in the street and thought "I wish I could eat that".  I shall try your chicken recipe now that I know it needn't necessarily contain stuff that has lived in water.  Re. your admirably precise rice grain specification, is Arborio acceptable?

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 23 Aug 08 9:48pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

Nelo - I'm not confused in anyway !

Lets break it down into simple forms...

suppose a dish has sausage as an ingredient ! If the recipe says add 2lb of good sausage, you might add 2lb of best butchers pork sausage, another person might use beef, another might use pork and beef mixed, another might use beef with garlic and thyme... its still going to be the same recipe.. but each person is going to make something that is a little different...

Paella is just the same.. you go to different regions and you will find that they say "this is the real paella" and they will be making it differently to the one you are used to... and another region will be different again !

Go to somewhere in the UK and say "make me a cooked breakfast" one person will make bacon with fried bread, fried eggs, grilled tomatoes and toast...another might make bacon, sausage, fried eggs and mushrooms, another might add black pudding, another might have scrambled eggs rather than fried... each person, each area puts their own twist on things ! I don't make anything exactly the same as my own parents or grandparents who taught me how to make them and thats just different generations of the same family making the same things !

No confusion, I've been to enough places and had the same dishes made by different people in different areas to realise that there is never one exact set way that everyone follows !

Then as I also mentioned it will vary by season as well ! If during some months there is plenty of chicken you will use chicken, if at other times its snail season you will make it with snail etc etc.... there is no specific one and only recipe for any dish in any part of the world ! ALL dishes are variants on a theme dictated by what is available, who is cooking, what people eating it do or don't like etc... to say this is the one and only recipe and anything else is wrong is just a ridiculous idea !

PS - quote "I never would try to tell to one italian how to cook pasta recipes, or to one Englishman how to cook roastbeef or plumcake, because they are their national recipes and obviusly they know how to cook it better than I’ll never can know." end quote  - but each English person making a roast beef dinner makes it in their own way, some will make gravy from a tub bought in a shop, some will use wine, others vegetables and beef stuck to the pan, some will cook the beef nearly raw, others will have it like an old boot, some use silverside others topside, brisket etc... but each person no matter what personal changes they have made, copied or had passed on will still be making a roast beef dinner !

Steve

Last edited by AskCy (Sat 23 Aug 08 10:02pm)

Likes (0)