forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Fri 07 Nov 08 10:34am

libra

Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

Re: Vegetarians

It would just be nice to see an occasional vegetarian recipe here - you don't NEED meat every day. I know it's nice to eat, but so is a box of chocolates, and that's not especially healthy!

A few interesting vegetarian recipes might encourage people to eat more vegetables, and that's a good thing. There are lots of tasty, easy recipes to choose from.

Likes (0)

#32 Fri 07 Nov 08 10:56am

rasher

Occupation Structural Engineer & father of 3
From Brighton
Member since Mon 07 Mar 05

Libra - there are some veggie recipes here.  Go to the recipes menu at the top of this page and then look to the links on the left..BUT...I do agree with you that these do tend to be a bit....veggie, if you know what I mean.
There is an assumption that vegetarian food equals health food, and you immediately find yourself imagining brown rice & lentil curry, home-knitted jumpers and earth mothers taking their children to alternative community school in a home-made sledge.
It's all a bit like that, and as a pescatarian myself for over 20 years, I'm still wary myself of vegetarian food on a whole, and as cynical as the next person.
Egg & chips.  Veggie sausages with onion gravy in mash.  Sage & onion stuffing balls as toad-in-the-hole.  That's the stuff I like.
I think the "worthiness" of health food bores can taint the image of vegetarians to the masses, and I can't say I blame them really.  It's a shame.

You're right - there has to be a better balance, but there also has to be a distinction between vegetarian food and health food, and as it stands, the images are blurred.  As it stands, it's all a bit.....Glastonbury.  hmm

Last edited by rasher (Fri 07 Nov 08 10:58am)

Likes (0)

#33 Fri 07 Nov 08 10:58am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Here's one thread devoted entirely to vegetarian recipes, there are more, you might try the 'search' feature, then if you rummage around, on many other threads there are loads of vegetarian recipes, try the Suresh Nair thread, other curries threads just to name a couple of packed ones:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27461

rasher, didn't see your post as I submitted this.  I recommend you just use some of the many recipes that happen to be no-meat in the various threads, they represent all cuisines, some are classic Greek dishes, Italian, etc.  I'm always interested in good fish recipes that don't include shellfish.  I will be posting some Japanese dishes featuring fish at some point.  There's an old thread I found, sorry, can't  . . . . .remember . . . . um, it's all about fish, looked fantastic for a pescatarian or an almost pescatarian like myself.

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 07 Nov 08 11:03am)

Likes (0)

#34 Fri 07 Nov 08 11:14am

rasher

Occupation Structural Engineer & father of 3
From Brighton
Member since Mon 07 Mar 05

MsPablo wrote:

There's an old thread I found, sorry, can't  . . . . .remember . . . . um, it's all about fish, looked fantastic

lol  thumbsup
That made me laugh. 
But Greek food, and Italian...well, now you are talking my kind of food.   yummy   Italian food for me is heaven, and I find no problems at all having everything I could ever want, and more, just within Italian food.  That's me taken care of.
I bet you do great Catfish down there. I LOVE Catfish, but we don't get it here.

Likes (0)

#35 Fri 07 Nov 08 11:16am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Darlin, you're talking to someone who is considered a 'northerner' and no, we don't cook catfish at home!  But, we have excellent blue fish, flounder, rock bass from the Chesapeake bay, if I could eat it, blue crabs, the finest in the world, I'm allergic now.  I have probably only tried catfish once and well, it was ok.

Likes (0)

#36 Fri 07 Nov 08 11:21am

RubyItaly

Member since Thu 11 Sep 08

I think you, White Rabbit are right. The point is that animal and organic farming should not has negative impacts on the enviroment.
Sometimes I'm sceptical when I read ORGANIC or BIO on boxes or tins or packages. Who can guarantee us that the little farmer with his own farm-raised vegetables production didn't used any pesticides nor other chemical fertilizers?
We have also take into consideration that vegetables and fruit producted in season for example bananas and ananas in South America are 100% natural and organic but have very bad effects on the enviroment because of the long distance of their air frieght...
Maybe the GLOCAL production should be an alternative, healthy solution!
R. xo

Likes (0)

#37 Fri 21 Nov 08 1:12pm

johnpoll

Member since Sat 08 Nov 08

Good joke dude........ lol  lol  lol

Likes (0)

#38 Mon 15 Dec 08 5:12am

ooboyle

Occupation Enterprise Architect
From Montreal
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Amazing. Some good points have been brought up (don't automatically think they were yours...) and some bad points have been brought up (assume they were yours).

This thread is no different than any of the significant religious wars currently going on: Christian vs. Muslim immediately comes to mind, though there are others...

Have we learned nothing yet?

GET OVER YOURSELVES.

As some smart people have mentioned, "we all have a choice". As some other smart people have mentioned, "each choice we make has an impact on everything else in our world".

In the end, "everything in moderation" is the most reasonable theory that came out of this, and probably the most respectable.

Not to evangelize Jamie or his efforts and personal contributions to the betterment of society (not that he's going off in the wrong direction or anything), but if we're all to take a look at what's wrong in the world, is it really worth our while to sit here and dispute whether an omnivore should choose between meat or not-meat?

Ridiculous.

The only reason I feel compelled to write this is because I'm too tired tonight to write a proposal for a not-for-profit, my monthly budget is blown such that I can't afford to loan any more to www.Kiva.com at the moment, and I've already cooked and eaten dinner.

The stats about which option is better than the other are always interesting, and they can always be spun to back one's particular argument. Unfortunately, or rather, fortunately, we can always adapt to our decisions (personally and globally). Again, "everything in moderation" will save all our damned souls, not the self-righteous and often ignorant ramblings of people momentatily struck by another person's post...

Why can't we just accept people for who they are? We're all weird, and selfish, and ignorant in one way or another. What makes your decision better than mine, except some probably unprovable reason that's floating around in your head and causing you some self imposed stress?

If this sort of disagreement continues any longer, who will invade who, and for what reason? There is only so much stockpiling of food we can handle (vegetable, meat, or otherwise), and I have yet to see a Church of Veganism or Carnivorism arise from the ashes and rubble of present day society.

Good on all of you who took the high ground and chose to remain neutral in this conversation. Shame on the rest of you for thinking your way is the only way.

Best Regards,
Constantly Amazed

Likes (0)

#39 Mon 15 Dec 08 8:03am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Actually ooboyle, we were long "over it" until you revived this thread - the previous post to yours was almost a month ago - 21st Nov to be accurate.

Make me wonder what self-imposed stress has pushed your button and made you decide to pontificate smile

Likes (0)

#40 Mon 15 Dec 08 3:02pm

ooboyle

Occupation Enterprise Architect
From Montreal
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Good point GeoffP. I hadn't noticed the timeline. My apologies.

ooboyle.

Likes (0)