Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 05 Sep 08 10:17pm

Pin Head

From UK
Member since Thu 17 Mar 05

Storing cashew nuts

Just back from India and got a large bargain packet of salted cashew nuts.

Can't eat them all at once.

What is the best way of storing them before they go off?

Pin

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 05 Sep 08 10:20pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Re: Storing cashew nuts

Are they cooked or uncooked?

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 06 Sep 08 10:15am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I usually keep nuts in the freezer, the raw ones used in cooking, not sure about salted nuts.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 06 Sep 08 12:24pm

Pin Head

From UK

from a packet like the ones you get from KP in the supermarket.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 06 Sep 08 1:19pm

judimac

From East Yorkshire
Member since Wed 16 Jul 08

Thanks for posting this question, I got a huge bag from the Chinese supermarket last week. I never thought about storage. They are now in the freezer.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 06 Sep 08 4:47pm

Khun

Occupation Food Technologist
From The Netherlands
Member since Sat 19 Feb 05

Hi,

Cashew nuts, contain like all other nuts, a lot of fat/ oils (about 46%). That makes them vulnerable for flavours of nearby stored foods (for example onions) and oxidation which makes the nuts taste like cardboard! The cause of oxidation can be (a combination of):
- light
- oxygen
- warmth
- moisture
- damaged nuts
So the best way of storing cashew nuts is to keep them in a cool and dark place like a fridge. Or for very long storage keep them in the freezer (nuts contain very little water (about 5%) so crystallisation of water is not a problem). Also it is important to store the nuts in something that seals it of for air (oxygen) and unwanted flavours (onions for example).

Hope this info helps,
Khun

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 06 Sep 08 7:07pm

Pin Head

From UK

nice one khun.

how long will they last in the fridge for (in a sealed jam jar of course)

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 06 Sep 08 9:04pm

Khun

Occupation Food Technologist
From The Netherlands
Member since Sat 19 Feb 05

Hi,

I don't know how long nuts will last in the fridge. The oils in cashew nuts, peanuts and walnuts contain in comparison to other nuts more multiple unsaturated fats. Oxidation of these fats is a chemical process which produces products that have an off-flavour (cardboard). The description I gave before are means to slow down the chemical process (there are other methods, but they are more technological and suited to use at home). I can't tell you how long these nuts will last in the fridge, because that depends on factors like the quality of the nuts when you bought them. I can tell you only for sure that refridgerating or freezing nuts gives a longer shelf life in comparison to storage in an open bag at room temperature. Refridgerating nuts is applied also by the food industry.

If you really want to know how long the nuts will last you can do a little test: storing a part at room temperature and a part in the fridge. When the taste is like cardboard you know it is not good! I guess (I'm not sure) that the food industry determines the shelf life of nuts chemically by measuring the products of oxidation. That is at least what I did during one of my experiments, but then with olive oil (also lots of multiple unsaturated fats).

So, I'm sorry I have to disappoint you, but I don't have a clear answer for you on this one.

Khun

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 10 Sep 08 9:07am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Cashews spoil quickly at room temperature and should be refrigerated. If refrigerated in a tightly sealed container, they will keep for six months or up to a year if frozen.

Likes (0)