Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 11 Sep 08 6:45pm

Rosibrie

Occupation Very busy person!!!
From Dublin, Ireland.
Member since Sat 16 Oct 04

Sugar-Free Cakes - Help Needed, Please!

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if someone could possibly help me please? 

Just over a year ago, my Dad was diagnosed with Type-2 Diabetes, and can have no sugar whatsoever.  Unfortunately he has always had a sweet tooth and loves cakes in particular.  At first I thought, no problem, I'll just bake him sugar-free versions of all his favourite cakes.  However, now after a year of trying, I am forced to admit that it IS a bit of a problem after all...

I have tried to make fairy cakes, Victoria Sponge and a birthday cake, but it appears that I can't make a decent sponge without sugar.  It all looks great at the mixing stage, and even when it's baked it LOOKS nice, but it tastes godawful.  The texture is terrible too.  Instead of being light and airy like sponge should be, it's dense and heavy, the top of the cake has a slightly 'glazed' appearance and it's hard to cut through it.  I'm pretty sure it's because of the artificial sweetener I have to use.  I've tried various ones, all granulated - Hermesetas, Splenda, Canderel, and a couple of supermarket own-brand ones, and all give the same result.  I've even used recipes I got from the sweeteners' websites and on the back of the packs, so they should have worked, but still I keep ending up with the same hard, heavy sponge.  I've also used 'regular' recipes, substituting artificial sweetener for sugar, following the recommended conversions, but still have had no success.

Unfortunately these artificial sweeteners are the only thing I can use to sweeten cakes, as my Dad has a particularly severe form of Diabetes and cannot have any sugar in his diet.  So I can't use honey, fruit or fruit juices as these are all high in naturally-occurring sugars and would send his blood sugar soaring.  I recently thought I had found the answer when I discovered Agave Nectar, which says on the label that it is diabetic-friendly, but the nutritional info states that it contains 3.4 grammes of sugar per teaspoonful, so considering that I'd need to use a lot more than 1 teaspoonful to make a cake, it would end up being quite a lot of sugar.  And in any case, it's in a syrup form, so I'm not sure if it would even be successful.  I kinda have a feeling that the problem may be at least partly because of the texture of the artifcial sweetener - it is sort-of granulated, supposedly like sugar, but it's powdery and very light, a lot lighter than sugar, and I think maybe it just doesn't have enough substance to bind the mixture together properly.  If this is the case, then syrup probably wouldn't be much better.

The only thing I have been able to make semi-successfully are scones, which have a denser texture anyway, so it doesn't matter so much that they aren't light and fluffy!  Also biscuits & cookies have fairly good results.  But I'm still on a quest to find the perfect sugar-free cake recipe! 

Anyway... sorry for such a long post, I'm just hoping that someone out there might be able to give me some tips and advice on what to do.  In summary, I need to know how to make a normal-tasting sponge cake, without using sugar in any shape or form.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far... any help would be much appreciated!  help

Rosi -x-

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 11 Sep 08 11:49pm

Jeenas Recipes

From Maine USA
Member since Sun 20 Apr 08

Re: Sugar-Free Cakes - Help Needed, Please!

Hi there, I use xylitol a lot when I am trying to cut down on sugar.  It is very low GI and comes from natural sources so it is not an artificial sweetener.  You can read more about it here  http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/ … cipes.html

I would advise for your father to dicuss with his doctor whether this is suitable for his diet before cooking with it.

Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for.  smile

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 12 Sep 08 4:30am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Banana-Nut Cake   
Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup uncooked rolled oats
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 6 medium bananas)
3/4 cup thawed frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Glaze (see below)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients except walnuts and Cream Cheese Glaze; mix well. Stir in walnuts; spread into well-greased Bundt or tube pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes; turn cake out onto wire rack. Cool completely. If desired, prepare Cream Cheese Glaze. Spoon over top of cake, letting excess glaze drip down sides. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Cream Cheese Glaze
Ingredients

3 ounces regular or reduced calorie creem chease, softened
2 tablespoons thawed frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

Combine all ingredients in small bowl; beat until smooth.

German Apple Cake   
Ingredients

1/4 cup margarine, softened
5 teaspoons Equal® for RecipiesTM or 16 packets Equal® sweetener or 2/3 cups Equal® SpoonfulTM
2 Tablespoons strawberry spreadable fruit
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup skim milk
1 cup self-rising flour
1 medium Granny Smith apple
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Equal® for RecipiesTM or 1 packets Equal® sweetener or 2 teaspoons Equal® SpoonfulTM

Directions

Beat margarine, Equal®, and spreadable fruit together until combined and creamy.

Mix together the egg, vanilla and milk. Add to the margarine mixture alternately with the self-rising flour. (The mixture will be thick.) Spoon mixture into a greased and parchment lined 8-inch round cake pan.

Peel and core apple; cut into slices. Dip slices into lemon juice. Place decoratively on top of cake mixture.

Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Tourn out onto a towel; peel off parchment. Invert onto a wire rack with apple on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and additional Equal® while cake is still warm.

Sunshine Cake   
Ingredients

2 1/4 cups flour
7 1/4 teaspoons Equal® Measure or 24 packets Equal®
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange extract
2 teaspoons grated orange ring
8 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Orange Cream Cheese Glaze
5 cups assorted fresh fruit (optional)
Equal® Measure or Equal® sweetener

Directions

Combine flour, 7 1/4 teaspoons Equal® Measure, baking powder, and salt in large bowl; beat in water, oil, egg yolks, vanilla, orange extract and orange rind.

Beat egg whites in large bowl until foamy; add cream of tartar and beat to stiff peaks. Stir in about 1/3 of the egg whites into flour mixture; fold flour mixture into remaining egg whites. Pour batter into ungreased 12-cup fluted cake pan.

Bake cake in preheated 325-degree F oven until top springs back when touched, 60 to 70 minutes. Cook cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cake onto wire rack and cool.

Place cake on serving plate; spoon Orange Cream Cheese Glaze over. Sprinkle fruit with Equal® Measure to taste; server over cake slices.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 12 Sep 08 3:21pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Rosibrie
Do I understand this correctly

No Sugar
No Honey
No Artifical Sweetners
No Natural Fruit

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 12 Sep 08 4:02pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

From what I understand, my father who has this disease isn't even allowed artificial sweeteners, so it is a good idea to check before using them.  His carb intake is severly limited, that's a very complex thing to work out and another thing you might ask a dietician or physician about as cakes do contain loads of carbs even without the sugars and sugar substitutes.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 12 Sep 08 6:23pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I am sure a dietician could either supply you with some recipes or guide you towards some. It is definitely the safest option.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 13 Sep 08 1:15am

Rosibrie

From Dublin, Ireland.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated!  I have it on good authority from my dad's dieticians at the hospital that he is allowed to have artificial sweeteners.  They said it's fine for me to make him any cakes etc. as long as they don't contain any sugar - and of course he isn't allowed to eat huge quantities of them, it would just be small amounts as an occasional treat every now and then.  And unfortunately, while the dieticians were able to provide plenty of advice and dos & don'ts, they didn't have any cake recipes for me.  I guess that's why they're doctors not bakers!   lol

Yes, Cookinlovinbird, you have got it right - all except for artificial sweeteners - my dad IS allowed to have those.  It's a total bummer trying to concoct recipes with such limitations!  I also forgot to say he can't have dried fruit, which is high in sugar too.  He would be allowed to have a natural sweetener if it didn't contain any sugar (including naturally-occurring sugars like fructose, for example) - but I have yet to find such a thing.

Thanks very much to Jeena and Venus, for those recipies and links.  Venus, your cakes sound delicious but unfortunately I can't use the ones that contain fruit and/or fruit juice because of the high sugar content.  It's naturally-occurring sugar, but still sugar unfortunately.  Thank you so much for taking the time to post the recipes though, I feel bad saying I can't use them after you went to the trouble of posting them.  However, you have one or two there with Equal® - I take it that's a sweetener or sugar substitute?  I might try those ones, thanks!   thumbsup

Jeena - Xylitol... hmmm... now there's a possibility!  I'd heard of it before but only as an ingredient in chewing gum and didn't realise it was a natural ingredient, thought it was some sort of manufactured artificial thing, but now I will definitely look further into it, thank you very much!  You may have found the answer I've been searching for!  Your madeira cake looks fab!  I'm going to try that as soon as I get some Xylitol.  I checked online and it seems Holland & Barrett stock it.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read & reply.  I will report back and let you know how I get on in my quest.  I really hope I can come up with something resembling a cake for my dad, as it's the one thing he really loves and he always loved my homemade cakes but hasn't been allowed to have it for over a year now.  He never drank alcohol or smoked in his life, doesn't go out much, has very simple pleasures in life and it's not as if he was greedy and ate loads of cakes before his diagnosis, he's always been a little underweight and wasn't prone to pigging out, so it seems unfair that his one little indulgence has been taken from him and I'd love to be able to give it back to him again.

Thanks again!
Rosi -x-

Last edited by Rosibrie (Sat 13 Sep 08 10:34am)

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 13 Sep 08 3:02pm

Jeenas Recipes

From Maine USA
Member since Sun 20 Apr 08

Hi Rosi, good luck I hope you find something suitable for your dad to eat.     thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 14 Sep 08 1:39am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 21 Sep 08 11:57pm

Rosibrie

From Dublin, Ireland.

Oooh, thank you very much, White Rabbit!  Just saw your link earlier today, sorry for delay replying!

Rosi -x-

Last edited by Rosibrie (Sun 21 Sep 08 11:57pm)

Likes (0)