forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#101 Mon 13 Oct 08 9:39am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Re: When did you start getting interested in cooking?

you make a morbida pastella with egg parmigiano salt and whatever you like maybe some nutmeg? if I remember correctly, then you pour it inot boiling veg-stock (for me) whisking it with a fork, I would add crostini into it  wink

Likes (0)

#102 Mon 13 Oct 08 10:43am

3kh0

Occupation Stay at home mum and Uni student by dis. ed.
From brissy downunder
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

hey Jamie and everyone
my love of cooking started early.
my family and i would drive 3 hours to the town of Kyogle over the N.S.W boarder go see my greatnana.

As soon as u could follow an instruction you could help her cook for the family everything from scones for morning tea to the roast at night. We would cook all day and play in the garden eating strawberry and mulberries fresh from the garden.

I would also help my Nana in the Kitchen in the afternoon after school cooking biscuits and slices like the ones pressed with a fork or peppermint slice.

I learnt to look cooking stories and tales of "back in my day" the best education i had in alot of ways.

something i want to pass on to my son.

Rose

Likes (0)

#103 Thu 16 Oct 08 9:39am

quierounvaquero

Occupation Full-time student
From Manchester
Member since Thu 16 Oct 08

First got interested in cooking when I moved away to university, weighing 21 2/2 stone... and cooked myself down to 12 stone!

Love ya Jamie xoxoxoxox

Likes (0)

#104 Thu 16 Oct 08 2:01pm

kittendothroar

Occupation Transport Administrator (exciting,not!)
From Middlesex
Member since Fri 29 Feb 08

I never had much interest growing up despite taking food tech at school (which basicaly involved making microwave meals and apple pie), I liked food but couldn't 'cook' for toffee! There was not much money to go round when I was young so meals were pretty basic food like mince and casseroles which to be honest didnt really inspire me and I was terribly fussy, some family members were better cooks and remember eating well at their houses! Then about 4 years ago I moved out of the family home and in with my boyfriend and after living on take-aways and microwave meals for six months I started out using schwartz packet sauces and experimenting from my basic cookery course book and it kinda just grew from there!!

Now I *love* cooking from scratch, eating virtually anything except insects and domestic animals, talking about food, writing about food, reading about food (I have 92 books!!), watching about food etc etc! I'm only 26 but am pretty competent now in the kitchen in a relatively short space of time and glad my life ended up in this direction : big_smile

Likes (0)

#105 Sun 19 Oct 08 12:11pm

NK2

Occupation I.T Manager
From My couch
Member since Sun 19 Oct 08

My passion for cooking started with seafood five years ago ..
I'm 25 now and I keep trying to mix stuff together to come up with something yummy and new smile

Likes (0)

#106 Wed 22 Oct 08 12:16am

dbc

Member since Wed 15 Oct 08

Started with cooking for friends as an adult: spag bol, chilli, maybe all mince-based stuff with a salad on the side.

Likes (0)

#107 Wed 22 Oct 08 12:20am

dbc

Member since Wed 15 Oct 08

We had fresh veg from the garden. But I remember spanish onions as a hotdog treat & I didn't know what garlic was until I was 18.

Likes (0)

#108 Wed 22 Oct 08 2:57am

kiwi_OT

Occupation Student Occupational Therapist
From Christchurch, New Zealand
Member since Sun 03 Aug 08

When I started primary school my mum gave me the responsibility of making my own lunch. By the time I finished intermediate school i was put off sandwiches for life so I started making 'proper' food for lunch the night before and I thoroughly enjoyed it. S when I was twelve my parents made me cook dinner about 4 times a week and I started experimented with just basic stuff like knife work, different types of cooking for different foods. Made a lot of mistakes and cut fingers but I learnt very quickly. Then I started experimenting with pretty much anything, always trying out recipes etc and simplifying or changing them.
I havent stopped since.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#109 Wed 22 Oct 08 9:14am

bjagmar

Member since Tue 14 Oct 08

Hi Jamie,
I started interested in cooking since I moved to Italy. Ingredients are so good here, so anything you cook it came out buonissimo.

Also I want to say hunger is the best sauce : )

Good luck and good luck to me too!

Likes (0)

#110 Wed 22 Oct 08 10:24am

Maribo

Member since Wed 22 Oct 08

I was never interested in cooking at school. Our cooking lessons involved reading a label on a packet, the most exciting task we were set was make a meal using convenience foods!! With lessons like these its no wonder things are as they are!  It wasn't until i met my husband at 15 that I actually started to learn how to cook. He was going off to uni and my mum-in-law, worried about him living on a student diet, would teach us how to cook what she was doing for tea which would range from savoury rice, pasta, sauces, salads and soups. she's definately my hero because of her I started to get interested in what my mum would cook and what i maight be able to cook.  12 years on we now have 4 young children of our own we pass on to them the enthusiasm for good food that my husband and I share.  My husband's family have a tradition that in november they make anolini from a family recipe for their soup on christmas day.  Now we continue this tradition with our own children the boys make and roll out the pasta and the girls make the filling and fill the little parcels with the mixture there is something really magical about it. Cooking really does help to bring the family together. smile  big_smile

Likes (0)