#1 Mon 22 Sep 08 12:57pm

CarolineB

Forum champ
Occupation Triplet mom and IT marketing consultant
From Bodensee
Member since Sun 29 Jan 06

Finger Food Recipes Wanted :o)

Hi everybody,

we are going to have our triplets christened/baptised this November. We would like to serve some finger food and champagne after the ceremonies.

I think we will prepare some platters with cold cuts and several types of cheese.

Do you have some ideas/recipes for finger food which can be prepared well in advance?

Thanks for your help!

Love,
Caroline

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 22 Sep 08 2:24pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Finger Food Recipes Wanted :o)

Little sausages wrapped in puff pastry, little schnitzels, meatballs (you can dress those up by adding fun ingredients to the mince - sundried tomatoes + herbs and garlic, feta cheese, chopped peppers and corn kernels,....)
Mini-quiches.
Pizza-pinwheels (roll out the pizza dough, spread sauce on them, sprinkle with cheese. Roll up. Cut slices. Prove one more time. Bake. Also nice with blanched, chopped spinach and feta instead).

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 22 Sep 08 2:58pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

How about finger sandwiches.  Just make up chicken salad,  pimento cheese, cucumber and cream cream, or ham salad and cut into 4 triangles.  You can also cut the crusts off for a fancier look. (If you have an electric knife this is a breeze.)  You can wrap them well in cling wrap or put them in a big tupperware holder and refrigerate.  Good luck and congratulations on the triplets!! smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 22 Sep 08 3:06pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Somehow this reminds me of the old "Mermaids" movie with Cher, where she uses a cookie cutter to make star shaped sandwiches.... (I know there is a lot of waste that way though....)

Fruit kebabs.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 23 Sep 08 3:44am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Paella Kebabs

1 lemon, juiced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
16 bamboo skewers
4 chicken thigh fillets, cut in quarters
16 green prawn cutlets, de-veined
1 smoked chorizo sausage, cut into 8 slices
1 regular chorizo sausage, cut into 16 slices
1 red capsicum, roasted and peeled
1 yellow capsicum, roasted and peeled
1 Spanish onion, cut into large dice
salt and pepper

In a medium bowl combine the lemon juice, garlic, spices and olive oil. Coat the chicken and prawn pieces in the marinade. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 30mins - 1 hr. Heat the barbecue on medium high. Skewer the chicken, prawns, chorizo, capsicum and onion in any order you like, season well with salt and pepper. Cook on the barbecue for 7-12 minutes till golden and fragrant.

Tip: To roast capsicums, rub whole capsicums with oil and roast in the oven for 20 minutes at 180C. Cover with cling wrap and cool. Peel off the skin and then slice. Make deconstructed paella by serving the skewers in small take-away containers filled with saffron rice pilaff

Crispy Wonton Asparagus

1 bunch asparagus, washed and trimmed
1 packet of 20 wonton sheets (available in some supermarkets and most Asian stores)
salt and pepper
olive oil

Aioli
1/4 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tablespoon hot water
freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges, pips removed

Heat the oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with bakers paper. Using one wonton sheet per asparagus spear, roll the pasty around the top end of the spear allowing for the flower to be uncovered. Place on the baking tray and repeat until all the asparagus have been rolled. Season and drizzle with some olive oil. Bake for 15 to 20 mins until golden brown and till the pastry is crispy. To make the aioli, combine the mayonnaise, garlic and pepper in a small bowl. Thin with the water. Serve the asparagus with lemon wedges and aioli.

Tip: Try wrapping Parma ham or cheese around each asparagus spear before adding the pastry to make the nibbles more substantial. Shallow frying is quicker and gives the pastry a crispier texture.

Salmon patties

INGREDIENTS

500g potatoes, peeled, halved
30g butter
cup (60ml) hot milk
210g can pink or red salmon, drained, bones and skin removed
cup (20g) grated parmesan
cup (35g) plain flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
cup (50g) dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
salad, lemon wedges, to serve

METHOD

1. Cook potato in a saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes, until tender. Drain, return to pan and place on low heat for 2 minutes, until potato is thoroughly dry. Remove from heat and mash lightly with a fork. Add butter and hot milk, beating until very smooth. Set aside to cool completely.

2. Flake salmon into a bowl. Add mashed potato and parmesan. Season to taste and mix well to combine. Divide salmon mixture into eight patties. Dust with flour, brush with beaten egg and coat with breadcrumbs. Place on a tray and refrigerate for 1 hour.

3. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan on medium. Cook patties for 3-5 minutes each side, until golden. Serve with salad and lemon wedges.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 23 Sep 08 4:56am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Marinaded chicken wings, egg and bacon savouries or mini quiches, savoury toast.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 23 Sep 08 11:56am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

smoked salmon rolls filled with soft goat cheese or cream cheese and black truffle or black olive, chill, cut into small rounds. Serve with orange slices and French bread slices.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 23 Sep 08 12:31pm

katiemarkham

Occupation Housewife, Mother and Allotmenteer
From Wigan
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

SusanneH wrote:

Somehow this reminds me of the old "Mermaids" movie with Cher, where she uses a cookie cutter to make star shaped sandwiches.... (I know there is a lot of waste that way though....)

Fruit kebabs.

I LOVE that film with Cher.... I sometimes make my sister star shaped toast in the mornings!

You could do star shaped toast with pate and chutney perhaps?

Grow, cook, eat, smile smile
    Likes (0)

#9 Tue 23 Sep 08 1:10pm

CarolineB

Forum champ
Occupation Triplet mom and IT marketing consultant
From Bodensee
Member since Sun 29 Jan 06

Yeah! The Shoop Shoop Song is in the air!

Oh, yummy! Thanks for all the inspiration!!!

I think, we will do salmon rolls, pizza rolls, paella kebabs, mini quiches, aioli, crispy wontons AND fruit kebabs coated with black and white chocolate. Love it all... smile

Toast with pate or cream cheese also is a great idea. Cut into little quads we call them 'soldiers', I do them everyday for my babies. They love them as they could eat them relatively easily... smile So I do not need to think about bringing extra baby food for them!

Love,
Caroline

Last edited by CarolineB (Tue 23 Sep 08 9:30pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 23 Sep 08 4:52pm

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 06 Feb 08

Congratulations CarolineB.  Triplets are really something to celebrate.
Hope you have a great day - however will you have time to prepare?
Hope you have lots of help and people to share your happiness.
Cheers

Likes (0)