Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 09 Oct 08 6:26pm

suziea

Member since Thu 09 Oct 08

Marrows

I've got a lovely marrow but no good recipes of how to cook it or use it. Does anyone have any ideas?? thumbsup

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 09 Oct 08 6:39pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Re: Marrows

My mother used to do stuffed marrow with the huge examples my step-father grew.  Cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out all the seeds to give two dug-out canoe shaped bits of marrow.  I don't remember whether it was peeled first or not; I imagine it would cook better with the skin left on, and diners can scoop it out themselves.  She stuffed it with sausage meat, but I have done my own version with a Thai-style pork, coconut and lime stuffing.  For a vege version perhaps something like spinach, ricotta and pine nuts may be good.  Wrap tightly in foil and cook it for about an hour in a cool oven, about gas mk 4.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 09 Oct 08 6:52pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Just looked up marrow, for us it is summer squash, the peel is quite soft when cooked, eat it along with the flesh, they are excellent stuffed as Mr.Grumpy recommends and you can vary the stuffing according to what you have on hand, parmesan, tomato, sausage, rice, corn, etc.  I stuff several types of vegs at once.  I use flat slices of summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, the stuffing with meat browns better if it's on top of the vegetables.  A nice sauce with it - saute some shallots, garlic, or onions, add canned plum tomatoes or a little tomato paste, wine, herbs, finish with a touch of creme fraiche or sour creme.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 10 Oct 08 12:53am

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

my friend used to stuff marrows with a spicy minced lamb mixture...i cant remember the whole recipe but i've found one on the net that sounds  very similar.

4 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
250 g lamb mince
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
75 g long grain rice, cooked and refreshed
1/4 tbsp ground cinnamon
25 g pinenuts
25 g raisins
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 marrow, halved and deseeded
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter, softened
300g tub arrabbiata sauce

method

1. For the stuffing: Heat the oil in a frying pan and saute the onions and mince together until the mince is browned. Then add the garlic, tomato puree and cinnamon and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients.

2. To stuff and serve: Preheat the oven to 190C (375F) Gas Mark 5.

3. Place the marrow into a roasting tray and fill with the stuffing mixture. Dot with butter cover with foil and roast in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes.

4. Finally heat the sauce, then flood a serving plate and top with a slice of a marrow.

hope that helps smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 10 Oct 08 7:39am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Marrow in Dill Butter
ingredients
2 lb (900 g) marrow
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
2 onions, finely chopped
1 sprig of fresh dill, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper

method
1. Peel the marrow, remove the seeds and chop into cubes.

2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.

3. Stir in the marrow cubes and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until tender.

4. Arrange in a warm dish, sprinkle with the dill, add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

Marrow in Cream Sauce
ingredients
1 medium to large marrow
25 g (1 oz) butter
10 g (2 tsp) cornflour
15 ml (1 tbsp) water
15 g (1 tbsp) dried dill weed
salt and pepper
150 ml (1/4 pt) sour cream

method
1. Peel the marrow and either finely chop or grate them.

2. Cook them with the butter, stirring from time to time, just until it begins to soften.

3. Mix the cornflour with the water until smooth and add. Stir and cook for a further 3 minutes.

4. Add the dill, salt and pepper and finally stir in the sour cream.

5. Warm through gently and serve hot

Marrow with Tomato and Onion

ingredients
25 g (1 oz) butter
2 medium onions, skinned and chopped
1 garlic clove, skinned and crushed
1 medium marrow, peeled, seeded and cubed
6 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato puree
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh mixed herbs or 10 ml (2 tsp) dried mixed herbs
salt and pepper

method
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and gently fry the onions and garlic for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the marrow and cook for a further 5 minutes.

2. Stir in remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Season to taste. Serve at once.

Likes (0)