forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 15 Oct 08 10:24pm

hardyzgirl17

Member since Wed 15 Oct 08

replacement for garlic ???

hi guys i love garlic my bf despises the stuff . Alot of jamies recipes involve garlic garlic garlic ! what are good alternatives ?? xxx

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 15 Oct 08 11:44pm

bmsma

Occupation Mum of 2 little angels
From New Zealand
Member since Sat 13 Sep 08

Re: replacement for garlic ???

Welcome to the forums  smile
Tell him to harden up and eat garlic!  lol  lol  Nah my mum hates it so she doesn't include it, she doesn't actually replace it with anything. I sympathise with you though cos my partner hates mushrooms so I miss out on making a lot of things  sad

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 16 Oct 08 12:03am

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

lol @bmsma.

i don't really think that you can replace the taste of garlic. saying that it belongs to the same family as chives so you could maybe try replacing it with that. taste won't be quite the same though . another alternative is wild garlic (leaves) which are milder in taste than normal garlic. i think the season is pretty short though (about feb to may) but you can use the leaves to make a pesto and store it longer. just tell him its chopped chives big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 16 Oct 08 12:28am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forums hardyzgirl17   big_smile

I always think of recipes as a guide and I have to admit that I do not realy follow then at all. so my advice is...
If you don't like Garlic.. then just leave it out !

Having said this .. Garlic is added to many foods in restaurants etc , (although not always in huge quantities ) and if you can gradually get youself  use to the taste then life is easier when you get to eat out .

Roasted Garlic has a smooth softer flavour that on times can be a little sweet , quite different from when it is added to a dish towards the end of cooking.

Garlic has many health benefits, thumbsup  it is a natural product that some have suggested might lower colesterol ,its good for your heart , I am sure that I have also read that it has a natural bacterial effect and also can help the flora of your gut.

So Garlic is worth getting used to gradually... just a tiny smidge to start with and gradually build it up over the months/years !!!

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 16 Oct 08 8:42am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Asafoetida {Hing}  is used in a similar way to garlic  in Indian vegetarian cuisine but if he doesn't like the taste of garlic I would be willing to bet he really won't like Hing. I love garlic but hing is not my favourite flavour.  puke

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#6 Thu 16 Oct 08 1:35pm

Niedersachse

Member since Wed 15 Oct 08

When I worked in Munich in a "Mexican" Restaurant (very "en vogue" at these days) we served a lot of dishes with lot of garlic.
I was also advised to cook with garlic for the waiters.
When I asked the owner of that restaurant once if it was considered that a guest (and by the way, there were occasionally V.I.P.s) could perhaps complain about the breath of a waiter, he shrugged and called it "the breath of the gods"...

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 22 Oct 08 2:58pm

NK2

Occupation I.T Manager
From My couch
Member since Sun 19 Oct 08

I have always had trouble eating garlicy food .. I'd have loads of digestive and intestins trouble so I eventually stopped having it at all ...
I didn't replace it with anything because onion also causes the same problems for me so I ended up ditching the flavor all in all..

Likes (0)