forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 04 Nov 08 3:38pm

ashleaka

Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

Lancashire Hotpot

Hi!

I am a Lancashire lass now living in London and i want to make a proper Lancashire hotpot served with red cabbage for my friends...unfortunately i am struggling to find a recipe like the one I used to have when i was little i.e pastry topped and not necessarily amde with lamb (I think it used to be beef at school events).

I have been to a few christenings / birthdays in the Fylde coast area in recent years where the catering has been Hotpot with pastry and am desperate for a similar good recipe!

Can anyone help?!

Ash x

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 04 Nov 08 7:35pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

Re: Lancashire Hotpot

found this on the delia smith forum. is this the kind of thing your looking for ?

.... it is what we call a "Prater Pie" ("prater" being dialect for potato). It is in effect a large meat and potato pie with a pastry crust, made in a casserole.

In fact it is a true, authentic Lancashire hot-pot. Most recipes you see for hot-pot use lamb, which is probably authentic for further North in the county, but here in South Lancashire our hot-pot is as below. Anyone who has ever attending a hot-pot "do" at the local church hall, etc, will recognise this. It's not compulsory to have picked red cabbage with it, but you'd be daft not to - they were made for each other.

PRATER PIE

1lb good-quality mince beef (as little fat as possible)
2 onions, peeled and chopped.
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into irregular slices.
2 teaspoons Bisto powder made up with a teacup of cold water (or proper stock if you have it).
salt and pepper.
FOR THE PASTRY
6oz plain flour
3oz lard (or half marge, half lard)
Pinch of salt
Cold water to bind

METHOD
Layer approx one third of the potato slices on the bottom of a casserole dish, scatter approx one half of the onion over this, then crumble approx one half of the mince by hand over them to form a third layer. Season with salt and pepper.

Repeat layering and seasoning, ending with a layer of potatoes.

Pour the Bisto/stock over the casserole. Add water or more stock as necessary to bring the level of liquid at the bottom of the casserole up to one inch in depth at most. It is important not to drown it by having too much liquid in the casserole to start with.

Cook in oven at Gas Mark 5 for 30 minutes. While it is cooking, make up the pastry in the usual way by rubbing the fat into the flour and binding with cold water.

After the 30 minutes, remove the casserole. Roll out the pastry to the correct size and place on top of the pie in the casserole dish. Make it fit roughly at the edges, folding the edges over on themselves if necessary. The pastry lid should sit on top of the potato and meat, not over the rim of the casserole dish.

Make a couple of slits in the pastry lid to allow steam to escape. Return the casserole dish to the oven (leaving off its glass lid so that the pastry will cook properly.

Allow to cook for another 20-25 minutes until the pastry lid is a very pale golden brown.

Serve with simple greens and pickled red cabbage.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 04 Nov 08 9:18pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

ee by eck, thas not looking for hotpot love, tha wants potato pie !

If it was topped with a crust I'm guessing you had small chunks of potato, bits of meat, onion and carrot in a lot of gravy ?

I do mine along the lines of ....
brown lots of onion, add small cubes of beef (a nice cheap cut works best) brown and then add some spices like pepper, garlic, touch of oregano, maybe mustard and then add some red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and maybe some red wine and let it cook for a good couple of hours.
Then add large cubes of potato, carrots, celery (sometimes even bits of other left over veg like swede and cabbage).. cook until the potato is breaking down.
....and I make a crust in the oven so people can have it if they want (I know all the debate about it needing to absorb some of the gravy and become a little soft underneath etc..)

anyway my mother would disagree with most of that !
She puts onions and meat into water with some beef stock, salt and pepper and puts in the pressure cooker for about 10 minutes... this softens it up... allow it do cool and de-steam so it can be opened... add the potato and carrots (not even celery !).. re-seal and bring back to steam for about 6 minutes until the potatoes are cooked..... she also does the crust in the oven

My second mother  (I'm lucky I had 2 as I grew up... well ok my best mates mum but treated me just like family and still does !)... she makes it in a pan, cooking it long enough for the meat to soften and the potatoes to cook then puts it in a big old enamel tin bowl (probably an old washing up bowl), covers with pastry and bakes in the oven....

all are great and are served with anything you like....(to date I've seen)
raw onions
pickled onions
mushy peas
red cabbage
pickled beetroot
tomato ketchup
brown sauce
pickledsilly...(you know the glowing yellow sauce)
branston pickle
tomato relish

etc etc

have fun

Steve

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 05 Nov 08 11:33am

ashleaka

Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

Fantastic!! Thanks so much for that...I will definitely try those out  big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 27 Nov 08 8:24pm

davide6501

Member since Thu 27 Nov 08

ashleaka wrote:

Hi! Please visit my website www.lancashiresauce.co.uk for a Hot Pot recipe. Being a Lancashire lass I am surprised you havent heard of Lancashire Sauce? Check it out and let me know .

Thanks David

I am a Lancashire lass now living in London and i want to make a proper Lancashire hotpot served with red cabbage for my friends...unfortunately i am struggling to find a recipe like the one I used to have when i was little i.e pastry topped and not necessarily amde with lamb (I think it used to be beef at school events).

I have been to a few christenings / birthdays in the Fylde coast area in recent years where the catering has been Hotpot with pastry and am desperate for a similar good recipe!

Can anyone help?!

Ash x

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 27 Nov 08 8:26pm

davide6501

Member since Thu 27 Nov 08

Any Lancashire dish should be served with Lancashire Sauce. Far better than the Worcester stuff and suitable for vegetarians!!

Likes (0)