forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 15 Nov 08 2:22pm

kaka22milan

Member since Sat 12 Apr 08

Easy Chicken Sauces

I was looking for some nice, but quick to prepare sauces to go with chicken, any suggestions?

I was thinking of concocting a sauce out of tarragon, creme fraisch and whatever else comes to hand, I had a nice lemon/garlic chicken the other day that worked well

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 15 Nov 08 4:55pm

jaxstar

Occupation bar/cafe wench
From Katanning, Australia
Member since Tue 03 Oct 06

Re: Easy Chicken Sauces

fry up some bacon till its nice n golden and delish, then add some onion and cook that for a bit... add some chopped tomatoes/cherry toms, whatever you like, they deglaze the pan a bit... cook em for 5ish mins and then add your mushrooms for another 5ish mins. pour in some white wine and some cream and and simmer for a while, add your chopped cooked chicken and you can serve this with  pasta its lovely!

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 15 Nov 08 5:23pm

hugchoco

Member since Wed 22 Oct 08

this sauce is asian and the amount of ingredients you will add will based on your taste.  It doesn't have to be a lot, else the chicken will lost its crispiness.

for this sauce, your chicken has to be deep fried, no fancy batter coating on the chicken just coat some flour and fry.  then chopped them into bite size pieces and assemble it onto the plate.  finally drizzle the sauce on top of the chicken.

the sauce:
mix some finely chopped ginger, garlic and scallions add this to a mixture of rice wine vinegar (or plain vinegar will do) and soy sauce.  (the soy sauce must be greater in amount compare to the vinegar. ) 

enjoy. yummy

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 15 Nov 08 7:37pm

kaka22milan

I've never heard of scallions before...just looked it up on wiki though

I used to order something similar to that from the chinese take away all the time, 'wortep chicken'

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 15 Nov 08 7:49pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Heat some groundnut oil in a pan

Add a chicken breast cut into 1" cubes and quickly sear

Add a tablespoon of brandy and flambe

Add 2 shots of dry sherry and reduce by a third

Add 3 closed cap mushrooms, finely sliced

Cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden

Add 250ml double cream, stir in and reduce rapidly by half

Add 10g finely grated Parmesan, and season to taste with salt and black pepper

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 16 Nov 08 9:43pm

kaka22milan

That sounds lovely, thebeast2, I love Italian stuff

What sort of things go best with chicken?

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 16 Nov 08 9:56pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ

Sweet stuff, usually.

Carrots (glazed carrots are the only way to do them in my household) work brilliantly.

You could, also, do this with boiled rice, though that really would be just a vehicle for the other ingredients.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 19 Nov 08 8:57pm

kaka22milan

I meant what sauces go best with chicken, as opposed to what to accompany chicken..... although I think the spring onion / ginger sauce is imminent

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 19 Nov 08 9:36pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ

A tomato sauce or a white sauce are good contenders.

Avoid strong sauces (e.g. ones with a beef stock base) as they will overpower the chicken.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 27 Nov 08 5:57am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

cider vinegar sauce
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup sliced shallots
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups beef stock

Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallots; sauté until beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add sugar. Sauté until shallots are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add vinegar; boil 2 minutes. Add both stocks; boil until liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 25 minutes. Strain.

Shiitake Mushroom Sauce

1 cup beef stock
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, cut into matchstick-size strips (about 3/4 cup)
8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced (about 3 cups)
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh sage leaves

Boil both stocks and wine in heavy medium saucepan until reduced to 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.

Cook pancetta in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp and golden, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to bowl. Add mushrooms to same skillet and saut
 until golden, about 4 minutes. Add stock mixture and cream to skillet and simmer until reduced to sauce consistency, about 5 minutes. Mix in pancetta and sage. Season to taste with pepper.

Xiao Fan's Special Sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 to 4 (2-inch) fresh hot Thai chiles, minced, including seeds
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar (not seasoned)

Heat a wok or large heavy skillet (not nonstick) over high heat until smoking, then drizzle oil down side of wok and swirl to coat. Reduce heat to medium, then add garlic and stir-fry 15 seconds. Add chiles and stir-fry 15 seconds. Add cilantro and stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup chicken juices and simmer 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl.

Likes (0)