forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 18 Nov 08 9:48pm

theCroft

Member since Sun 16 Nov 08

Pizza sauce

Tonight is pizza night!

Usually it's a simple homemade garlic, tinned plum tomato, basil, salt n pepper sauce.

But have you any secret tips or recipes?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 18 Nov 08 10:25pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Re: Pizza sauce

Soggy bottoms have been a regular topic of conversation on here, so make sure the sauce isn't too wet.  There seems to be pretty much of a consensus on using a pizza stone or something similar to get some heat into the underside of the base.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 19 Nov 08 12:10am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Nothing worse than a soggy bottom.  We use an upturned Le Creuset since I dropped and smashed the pizza stone.   whistle

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 19 Nov 08 12:12am

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

We don't have the luxury of a pizza stone, but will always heat the baking tray before placing the pizza on top. And of course even the children have learnt the "less is more" rule.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 19 Nov 08 12:16am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I like a cooked, developed sauce on pizza unless you have absolutely perfect tomatoes from your backyard garden.  The ones that come straight from the can kind of crawl up out from under the cheese and bite you in the mouth in an unpleasant way.  Try making a simple sauce with sauteed onion, garlic, touch of wine, tomatoes, fresh marjoram, simmer, if need be, add a half teaspoon of sugar, maybe salt and pepper, it doesn't have to cook a long time.

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 19 Nov 08 12:17am)

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 19 Nov 08 3:25am

lidlingini

Occupation Breakfast cook in local highschool
From Ontario, Canada
Member since Fri 14 Nov 08

Pizza Sauce is quite simple,  if you don't like the chopped tomato's, use the "Passata", it's italian and is the best tasting, it's like a tomato puree and you don't have to cook it.   Add to the passata, (all dried herbs) garlic & onion powder, touch of salt, pepper, papprika, parsley and basil and don't forget the oregano, very important ingredient for pizza sauce. smile  If you don't have a pizza stone, invest, it's the best for a crispy crust.

Last edited by lidlingini (Wed 19 Nov 08 3:30am)

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 19 Nov 08 9:16am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Passata is simple - don't pay over the odds for it - just liquidise a can of tomatoes.

I make the sauce for pasta with the usual stuff as mentioned above, sometimes  adding a good sprinkling of parmesan. I always make the sauce in a wide pan - usually the big cast iron frying pan, and reduce it to about 50% volume. Learnt to do it that way from a group of Italian students while at Cambridge 30 yrs ago.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 19 Nov 08 9:31am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

And simmer for 30 min and more, I love it, it becomes sooo good!

I like garlic, anchovies then tomatoes and water, at the end oregano and basil...that's about it. Oh maybe a bit of balsamic vinegar...

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 19 Nov 08 9:42am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

You got it Dukegus:)

How about we start a thread on specifically Greek Pizzas (the pan style ones) - and maybe another one for Turkish Pizzas (Lahmacun) as a change from the Italian and American styles which are ubiquitous.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 19 Nov 08 10:03am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

or maybe an alsatian flam( flammekueche) ,  creme fraiche , onion and bacon.  yummy  yummy

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)