forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 17 Dec 08 11:36pm

Susanna_

Member since Wed 24 Sep 08

How do you store your spices?

Hi all,
I have to stick to completely organic foods to avoid food-intolerance reactions, so my spices come home from various shops in plastic bags, or small paper bags, or sachets etc.etc. and are all over the place in my cupboards.

I need storage for a large number of spices, but have only been able to find "spice racks" for a limited number of spices, and these often take the shape of round glass "bottles" - I'd like to avoid glass due to young children and the chance of them breaking them.

How do the rest of you store your spices?

Thanks,
S

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 18 Dec 08 7:41am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: How do you store your spices?

I do try to use glass and ceramics, because other than plastic, it has nothing to "give" like softeners etc. You could use metal containers. They come in all sizes from tiny ones in the tea shops to giant cookie tins.

I have a number of spice racks/shelves under each other in my kitchen (look in my blog on this site, I put a picture there for madamada to see a bit ago: http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=37031 ). I got them from IKEA, but I am sure you could get things like that elsewhere, or make your own little shelves.

Just keep your spices away from moisture and direct light (which metal containers would automatically wink ) and heat.

Or use glass and put them out of children's reach. Then you can use little jam jars.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 18 Dec 08 9:53am

JennyR

From Whitby, North Yorkshire
Member since Thu 29 Jul 04

I have sets of square stacking tins that sit on top of each other with the lid on the top one. Got them years ago and haven't seen any since.  If I didn't have them and was starting afresh I was rather taken with Ikeas little tins that you attach to magnetic rail either on wall or under cupboards.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80102919 

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categ … hen/10474/

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 18 Dec 08 11:32am

Paul_c

Occupation Between positions
From Manchester
Member since Sat 02 Aug 08

i use old jam jars for mine in a cuboard or the glass jars the spices came in originaly

the chances of them breaking is low as i have dropped mine several times with no issues

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 18 Dec 08 12:06pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

I've built my own spice rack on the back of one of the large cupboard doors - its about 2 ft wide by 5 ft deep, lined with shelves (7 shelves 2 ft long), with an aluminium rod running across the front. The spices are in glass jars of various sizes. I also have a couple of deep shelves for spices in larger quantities (I buy from  Asian stores, and also friends travelling abroad all know to bring me back any especially exotic spices as gifts, and I've just got a new load of Australian spices sent as a gift, and am expecting some spices from Jordan this week.

I also have a traditional Indian Masala Dubba - stainless steel round box with 7 stainless steel round tubs - for "immediate use" - this is kept in the fridge. That one has the traditional "curry spices" -  Cumin Seeds, Turmeric,  Mustard seeds, Whole Garam Masala, Chili Powder, Fennel seeds, Corriander powder.

Then there are the herbs smile Preferably fresh from the garden, but also dried and kept in paper bags hanging on a rack, or deep frozen in "ice cubes" or in small plastic bags.

Pickles & chutneys live in the fridge (another whole shelf full), and I've recently had to take over a shelf in the pantry for home made pickles and things which will store for a few months.

Anyone would think I love spicy food smile

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 18 Dec 08 12:09pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Geoff,

what kinds of Aussie spices did you receive?

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 18 Dec 08 12:13pm

wannab_chef_t

Occupation Chemist
From South Africa
Member since Sat 12 Jul 08

I have my spices stored in a drawer which has a built in plastic rack which the bottles fit into. Then spices I use all the time and which I have a large quantity of I keep in stainless containers and are an arms reach from the stove. Glass or plastic is really the best way as you can see the spices and know when you need a refill.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 18 Dec 08 12:33pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Don't know what spices I've received as yet, since it is a Christmas present - but any recipes using particularly Australian spices would be appreciated.

The only one I know for certain is in the package is Native Pepper Berries - there were warnings about the heat pasted outside the pack smile

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 18 Dec 08 12:37pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 18 Dec 08 1:39pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Thanks for those, Shammrok - hope I have all the additional things needed.

It sounds a little like Szechuan pepper - that lip numbing spice from China

I'm looking forward to learning lots of new Aussie recipes, which go further than throwing another prawn on the barbie smile

Ducking to avoid the flying brickbats from Oz smile

Likes (0)