forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 21 Dec 08 9:08am

pollyb

Member since Sun 21 Dec 08

Turkey warm up

Hi

Any suggestions on how to warm up a turkey?

i shall be cooking it on xmas eve but not sure how to warm up on xmas day without it being dry and over cooked.

thanks

pollyb

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 21 Dec 08 10:13am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Turkey warm up

Looks like you are making life difficult for yourself.

Re-heating turkey isn't going to be easy, as you need to be sure it has all come up to a safe temperature.

You can try wrapping it in foil and re-heating in oven, but this will take almost as long as cooking it, as you need to get the internal temperature up to the same temperature as when you cook from scratch.

You probably don't have a microwave big enough for a whole turkey, unless its small.

If you really do need to re-heat the turkey on the day, your best bet is probably to carve the turkey after it has cooled down, then plate it up on serving plates, cover with clingfilm, chill, then the following day reheat in microwave.

But - why do you want to cook the turkey the day before and re-heat it? It will be much better to cook and serve on the day. When we did the large family gatherings, I always managed to cook turkeys (up to 22lbs) on the day, even though, as vicar, I had to do both a Christmas Midnight and a Christmas Morning communion. it just takes planning.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 21 Dec 08 6:00pm

whitedog

Forum champ
Occupation striving to be a better human
From america
Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

Just baste it, it will be fine. It might take a while as Geoff says.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 21 Dec 08 7:21pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Do as Geoff says. To reheat it thoroughly will take so much time and pissing about that you might as well cook it fresh (and it won't be dry as).

I doubt it would be 'fine' if you 'just baste it'.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 21 Dec 08 7:27pm

Nutty Nette

Occupation Facilities Manager
From Hemel
Member since Wed 17 Dec 08

If your determined to eat pre cooked meat drop it in the gravy and simmer but you get none of the smells going on so you missout a bit, big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 21 Dec 08 9:31pm

pollyb

Member since Sun 21 Dec 08

thanks for all the info and help, wasn't thinking of heating whole turkey, more slicing then low heat in oven covered in foil whilist spuds are roasting etc and dont own microwave! I have a house full of relatives, but i agree, may just take some planning..
only thing is i have only 1 oven which is gas and not particually big... 

thanks for advice though.

Last edited by pollyb (Sun 21 Dec 08 9:42pm)

Likes (0)