forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 23 Dec 08 10:50pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Your five favourite British Cheeses?

I very much agree that the milk really has to be local.

I remember one of the farmers wive's I was introduced to in Wensleydale telling us that the Hawes Creamery Wensleydale wasn't what it used to be:-

"its not the same now, why, the milk comes from as far away as Ripon!"

She made it the traditional way, using both cows milk and ewes milk, both, of course, unpasteurised. She wasn't legally allowed to sell it - but that didn't stop her giving it away smile I doubt she made more than about 6 or 8 cheeses a year, but they were wonderful smile

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 24 Dec 08 7:38pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

The one that comes to mind right now is Cottswold as I just bought a wedge for supper tonight.  Will go quite nicey with the crab dip, pork pie and a glass of brandy as I wait for the fat guy to come with the yearly loot. lol
Eddie

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 21 Jan 11 6:53pm

grumpygrapefrui

Occupation Cheese taster and stable boy
From Flumserberg, Switzerland
Member since Mon 22 Dec 08

I thought I'd revive this thread as I'm just into my 4th year selling the Best of British to the Swiss. In September we moved into a brand new market hall in central Zurich,the Viadukt Markthalle,  the first ever purpose built indoor food hall in Switzerland. It's built under an old railway Viadukt, a sort of Swiss sterile version of Borough Market....

Anyway, my favourites and best sellers have "evolved" over the years.... first off, my favourites

Harbourne Blue (still)
Berkswell sheep
Lanark Blue (still)
Isle of Mull Cheddar - just outstanding and makes a great fondue with black beer and whisky
Westcombe cheddar
Wigmore
Gorwydd Caerphilly
Blue Monday
White Nancy
Cropwell Bishop organic Stilton
Exmoor Blue
Perl las (my favourite blue at the moment)
King Richard III

and my customers favourites (70% are swiss, but they buy 90% of my cheese)
Godminster organic cheddar is the clear favourite
Cropwell Bishop Organic Stilton
Cropwell Bishop Shropshire Blue
Wigmore and Waterloo
Partridges Blue
Perl Las
Lanark Blue (nicknamed the "Kilt Lifter" by my Swiss customers because of the spicyness)
Swaledale Blue

Please share your new favourites!

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 27 Jun 11 2:12pm

grumpygrapefrui

Occupation Cheese taster and stable boy
From Flumserberg, Switzerland
Member since Mon 22 Dec 08

I have a new favourite, isle of White Blue. It's a small Guernsey milk blue, firm and delicate when young becoming quite creamy and more piquant with a few more weeks. It's like blue butter.

A Swiss customer told me he tried it in the south of England recently and it was the best cheese he has had in his life (so i had to get some). I maybe wouldn't go that far, but it is right up there!

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 27 Jun 11 3:06pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Single gloucester ia nice if you can find it

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 19 Sep 12 12:45pm

Mr Peachy

Member since Wed 19 Sep 12

Definately agree with grumpy grapefruit's customers on the Godminster cheese. I ran a market stall for my Blacksmithing business about 5 years ago and Godminster had a stall right next door. Really lovely people and gave lots of sample's. At the end of the day they gave me the quarter of the cheese round that was left it was lush. I would class it as an all rounder, with that strong chedder flavour balanced with the creaminess that i personally enjoy. For me and most importantly its Organic cheese that is local to where i live in Wiltshire.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 20 Sep 12 7:54am

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

Blacksticks Blue is really popular here in Sussex, despite originating in Lancashire I do believe. It's an orange cheese with lots of blue in it; great on a cheeseboard and melts wonderfully.  I love Double Gloucester too.

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 20 Sep 12 12:02pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

What I dislike most is the cheeses with the added mushed up additions, ie very  good wenslydale with strawberries, dried cranberries, blueberries, even fruit cake??? Whats the point. Tastes nothing like cheese or whatever is added, its a craze and they dont stay around for long.
Wookey hole, blue vinney,and flower marie [ tart, not too sheepy] are my favs at the mo.

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 20 Sep 12 12:28pm

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

mrpab wrote:

I do love a bit of Wensleydale, Grommit!

Love it!

But my five would be:

1. Stilton
2. Stilton
3. Stilton
4. Stilton
5. Cheddar (for cooking)

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 20 Sep 12 12:36pm

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

However, the last time I saw Stilton on sale here, it was Bht 3,000.00/kg (circa Sterling 60.00)! I bought a few grams.

Likes (0)