forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sun 04 Jan 09 9:16pm

Laighleis

Member since Sun 04 Jan 09

Re: Page 165 Bolognese Sauce

Folks,

Glad I saw this on the sauce. I tried it out today also and was so upset. It was the first recipe I tried and it was watery and tasteless. I followd Jamie's recipe to a tee... Anyway I will not give up just yet... sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 04 Jan 09 9:26pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Personally I wouldn't use any water. I'd perhaps add 150-200ml red wine after the beef, let that cook down a bit, then add the tomatoes and simmer it for a long time. If it becomes too dry you can always add a splash of water or stock later on. If, on the other hand, the sauce is too wet, keep simmering until it reduces to the required consistency.

Last edited by john_lee (Sun 04 Jan 09 9:27pm)

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 04 Jan 09 9:30pm

Laighleis

Member since Sun 04 Jan 09

The Wine sounds good  - I will try that next week..

Thanks big_smile

Likes (0)

#24 Sun 04 Jan 09 9:31pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

If I used water, I would add it to the soffrito after it has sweated, and let it form a rudimentary stock.

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 04 Jan 09 9:58pm

Hadleigh

Occupation family support practitioner
From suffolk
Member since Wed 17 Oct 07

would that work though, if you used it with the Jamie recipie of not pre cooking the beef?
I have a thought of boiled beef in my head, which does not feel right puke

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 04 Jan 09 10:25pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

I'd brown the beef, anyway.

But, I'll elaborate

I'd add 2 parts water to 1 part soffrito, and let it boil until reduced by half. This would take up the flavour of the soffrito, producing a sort of vegetable stock. You can then add the mince and cook as normal.

Likes (0)

#27 Thu 30 Jul 09 10:43pm

thurble

Member since Thu 30 Jul 09

I made this recipe tonight, sticking to Jamie's method slavishly, but agree the stated total liquid seems way over. I've made Bolognese sauce hundreds of times no problem, but here, for just 500g of meat, we are asked to add:
   - 800g (two cans) crushed tomatoes—largely water (btw, I used good ones)
   - 800g (two cans) extra water
   - Veg, inc. 2 onions and 2 sticks celery. Again, high in water content

Predictably, the resulting 'sauce' more closely resembled a thin mulligatawny and vegetable soup, and was incapable of coating the spaghetti. The water separated around each serving, to form a puddle, while the meat and veg were left piled, nearly naked, on top. I'd suggest initially omitting the 800g water, adding as much as needed later on.

My womenfolk had suggested I use this recipe and, believing Jamie to be infallible, say it had to be entirely my fault! Methinks young Mr Oliver owes us an explanation...

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 25 Aug 09 5:06am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

There seems to be a few issues with this book in regards to some of the recipes and adding water.

I know Jaime usually always tests his recipes, but somehow, he seems to have not done this with this book.

Likes (0)

#29 Tue 25 Aug 09 5:43pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

I had that problem too. He says to add 2 cans of water, so in my second batch I just added 1 can of water and it was much less liquidy and to my liking.

Likes (0)

#30 Wed 24 Feb 10 6:39pm

congokid

Member since Wed 24 Feb 10

I tried a Delia recipe (hope JO's not reading) for bolognese ragu just recently - it has quite a bit of meat and also chicken liver, but no carrot or celery, and takes up to four hours baking uncovered in an oven at a low temperature.

My previous attempts from other recipes usually ended up a watery sauce that separated out too easily, but this one really was good and thick, even after freezing and thawing. And though I changed the recipe a bit (and made a couple of mistakes, too!), it still turned out very tasty. Just what I'd expect bolognese to taste like, in fact. There was quite a bit of tomato puree (though I cut back on this) and the cooking time probably helped.

Likes (0)