forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 11 Jan 09 1:02pm

RogerO

Member since Sun 11 Jan 09

Making bread with a dough hook

I have a Kenwood chef with a dough hook which I have used many times to try to make bread. If I use the hook as suggested by GeoffP the texture of the finished loaf is wrong. The loaves are "heavy" and the texture is nothing like a commercially produced loaf.
I get my bread yeast from the local baker and I described to him the problem I was having. The yeast was obviously not the problem and neither is the flour as I use Allinsons extra strong bread flour.
When I told him about the method of kneading, using a dough hook on my Kenwood Chef, the problem became clear. When using the bread hook, the dough seems to collect very quickly onto it as the bowl does not grip the dough adequately to allow the dough hook to do its work properly, as the glutens in the bread need to be fully developed in the kneading process. He suggested pulling the dough off the hook and trying again, but that does not seem to work. The only success I have had is by hand kneading the dough for 15 minutes and this seems to work OK.
It would seem that buying the Kenwood Chef to make bread has been a waste - unless anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong?????

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 11 Jan 09 2:27pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Making bread with a dough hook

Sounds like you are not allowing enough water - only a little more is needed.

You will find that you have the dough right when the dough hook "flobs" the dough round the bowl - if its just gathering straight into a ball, its definitely too dry.

It is also possible that you are making your bread in too small a quantity - the general recomendation for Kenwood chefs is that you should do 2 1/2 to 3 lbs at a time.

You need to allow the Kenwood to knead the bread (flobbing it around) for at least 5 minutes - more is better. If you have it right, you will find it quite alarming at first, as the dough flobbing round the bowl will move the whole machine about quite a bit - its best to align the machine on the worktop with the bowl facing you - that way it won't throw itself off the worktop. You'll get used to it after a while smile

Have used Kenwood chefs for breadmaking for many year, and never had a problem except at first when I didn't follow the instructions in the Kenwood recipe book, but used recipes intended for hand kneading.

If you visit an artisan bakery, you will find that most of them use a heavy duty commercial version of the dough hook.

Keep trying, you'll get it right and never look back!

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 11 Jan 09 2:34pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Like the man said, keep trying!
I've used a dough hook in my Kenwood for years.............its scary when it jumps about but you will get used to it!
Also homemade bread seldom has the same texture as commercially produced bread, so be patient, experiment a bit & don't give up too soon.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 11 Jan 09 4:42pm

Jeenas Recipes

From Maine USA
Member since Sun 20 Apr 08

I have a kenwood too and find that it makes lovely bread.   thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 11 Jan 09 7:13pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I use the dough hooks of my handheld mixer quite often (not exactly the same as your kenwood, but also different from hand kneading). After kneading it with the hooks I shape by hand. Doing that I usually fold the dough a few times by hand. Sometimes I give it an extra knead too - letting the mixer do the heavy duty kneading and just giving it a final touch. Don't think it is necessary - strictly speaking - as I am very inconsistent in this and get good bread either way.

What I noticed though is that hand kneading I add less water and then add more little by little as needed, while with the mixer I need to add the water at once.

Likes (0)