Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 20 Jan 09 4:58pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

What to do with leftover pork

From Pete Begg

Leftover roast pork whether from the belly, shoulder or any other joint is a blessing. It is so delicious and versatile, soon you’ll be roasting more pork than you need, just so you can use it up in lots of delicious different ways.

Shred up leftover pork, dress with a little salt, pepper, oil and vinegar and pop in a crusty roll for the ultimate US style pulled pork sandwich. Try it with some hot mustard, crispy lettuce and juicy tomato.

Chop up leftover pork and stir it into a home-made tomato ragu to make the best lasagne sauce. Layer the sauce up with layers of pasta and white sauce, topping with grated cheese for the ultimate leftovers lasagne!

Mince leftover pork and mix with cold mashed potato, a few chopped herbs and mix together with an egg. Shape into little cakes, flatten down with your hand to make a rissoles, and fry gently in a non-stick pan until hot through.

Chop up leftover pork, mix with a little tomato sauce, ground cumin, and chilli and spread out in a baking dish. Top with mashed potato and a sprinkle of grated cheese, then bake in a hot oven til hot through for a fantastic chilli pork shepherd’s pie.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 20 Jan 09 5:19pm

Chrissa SKG

Forum champ
Occupation travel agent
From Thessaloniki, GREECE
Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

Re: What to do with leftover pork

chop up and add to an omelette....

slice and serve as cold apetizer- cheese and meat cold platter

chop up and use in puff pastry pies with mushrooms and some cheese...

chop up and add to a fresh made pizza

sprincle bacon bits over a green salad with some blue cheese and nuts and just some balsamic cream

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 20 Jan 09 5:29pm

L1ttle Legs

Occupation Receptionist
From Devon
Member since Mon 15 Dec 08

Is it true that pork is not suitable for dogs and cats to eat, somebody told me it was dangerous for them to eat?????????  Must admit I have never seen a tin of pork dog meat.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 20 Jan 09 5:35pm

Chrissa SKG

Forum champ
Occupation travel agent
From Thessaloniki, GREECE
Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

little legs...neither in catfoods you find pork-haven;t thought about it till now...

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 21 Jan 09 12:28pm

Mykael

Occupation Reprographics Co-ordinator / DTP Designer
From Southend-On-Sea
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

sit down with some salt and some bread and just eat the cold pork! Yes I know it is a bit "homer simpson" but I love cold pork! mrgreen

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 21 Jan 09 6:06pm

jaseelnino

Forum champ
Occupation House hubby and Taxi driver
From Clondalkin, Dublin, Ireland
Member since Tue 18 Dec 07

Sambo's!!!! yummy

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 24 Jan 09 5:57am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

I love to use leftover pork in Chinese steamed buns stuffed with pork called bao.  First, make this dough:

1 scant Tbsp dried yeast
1 cup water 110F
4 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp  vegetable oil
1/2 cup boiling water

Dissolve yeast in 110F water.  Add 1c flour, mix, cover and let rise 1 hour. 

Dissolve sugar and oil in boiling water, let cool.  Pour into yeast mixture, add remaining flour.  Knead until smooth (this is a tough dough).  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours. 

Meanwhile, make pork filling for bao.  You have free rein here.  I just chop or shred my leftover pork and add chinese char shu sauce from a jar.  You can heat pork with scallions, garlic and hoisin sauce (num!).  You can saute pork with water chestnuts, mushrooms, ginger and oyster sauce.  Char shu or hoisin are the traditional filling flavors.  Let filling cool so it's no longer hot.

Punch dough down, knead 2 more minutes, divide into 24 pieces.
Form each piece into a 3inch disc, drop a big tablespoon of filling in the middle, pinch the dough up all around it and seal it at the top. 
Place the bao on something (a leaf, small piece of tin foil or my favorite, a 2inch square of parchment paper) to keep it from sticking. 

EDIT!! Cover them with a towel and let them rise another 30 minutes.  Place the parchment and the bao into a steamer.

Steam over boiling water for 11 minutes.  These are very easy and very delicious!  They reheat very well in the microwave, 20 seconds.  My husband calls them Chinese hand pies.

They are very interesting because they have the texture of bread, not pasta.  I don't make anything else like them where you steam bread.

Last edited by runwestierun (Sun 01 Mar 09 1:55am)

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 24 Jan 09 7:04am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I have made the pork & chilli pepper recipe from JAH with leftover roast pork.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 24 Jan 09 11:07am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

runwestie, have copied that to my recipe files, thanks!  I love that dish, never tried making it.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 27 Jan 09 12:16am

Hamburger

Member since Mon 26 Jan 09

Left over pork is really good in fried rice. Cut pork in small cubes, toss with ketchup and brown sugar , quickley  fry in frypan , add rice and veges , season as you like it ....delish

Likes (0)