Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 21 Jan 09 5:37pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

250th Anniversary of the birth of Robbie Burns

Hi everyone,

A lovely colleague of mine who is from Scotland has just let me know that the 25th of this month marks the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robbie Burns. She thought that this would make an interesting forum thread discussing what you will be cooking on the night?

I would be keen to find out as well.

Kind regards

Danny

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 21 Jan 09 6:35pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Re: 250th Anniversary of the birth of Robbie Burns

a righte an' pithy question
as this day Danny learnes
it matters not what's cookin'
as long as nothin' "burns!"

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 21 Jan 09 6:45pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

That's funny, if my Grandfather from Kilmarnock was here he would chuckle at that as well

Dan

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 22 Jan 09 10:42am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I am not sure what I will be cookin.. but I will break out my bottle of Dalwhinne  and raise a toast to my Grandfather.. the next to last thing he did before he died was give the toast to the Haggis  at the Burns dinner...  ( the last thing he did was make a suggestive offcolour joke to one of the other ladies sitting at his table  about his kilt   lol  lol ) He collapsed shorty after that but how better for a Scotsman to go  cool

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#5 Thu 22 Jan 09 1:07pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Seeing as my gluten-free family will be around, I know it won't be haggis, or involve whisky (other than for me, that is! Got a nice bottle set aside).  So it will probably be along the lines of some nice beef (Aberdeen Angus, maybe), or some locally shot pheasant, followed by some form of sticky gluten and dairy free pudding  thumbsup   Will certainly be sticking to fresh, local ingredients  smile

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 22 Jan 09 2:30pm

FlameRed

Forum champ
Occupation Finally, gloriously & happily re-married to my old flame....
From Melbourne, Oz
Member since Thu 21 Sep 06

Being from the land down under and never had to celebrate before  smile   I will make an exception this year and crack open my Chivas Regal that I received for xmas.  thumbsup   And toast the anniversary of his birth...

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 22 Jan 09 2:51pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Side burns hmm so she says to herself while a faint light fought through her grey cells, getting gloomier with the avancing years.

Did the name originate from Robbie Burns very own ?

Happy haggis to all the scots.........i'll be having a drink too....because it's my dad's birthday the same day big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 22 Jan 09 2:55pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Surely there is only one way to celebrate Burns Night!

Its a pity that Burns Night this year also co-incides with the Chinese New Year celebrations - maybe I'l have to do haggis wontons or steamed buns smile

Supper has really go to feature Haggis - "great chieftain o' the puddin' race", served with bashed tatties and neeps, accompanied by a not so wee dram.

About the only variation allowed is whether the tatties and neeps are served separately, or mashed together to form Clapshot.

Just as an aside, I noticed when buying a haggis this week that there was also "vegetarian haggis" on offer - which is seriously weird! Almost as bad as the "Vegetarian Black Pudding" next to it!

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 22 Jan 09 6:28pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Whatever you do, Geoff, don't try the vegetarian haggis - it's a seriously grim dish  puke   We all love haggis, but sadly for us it contains barley, so has had to come off our menu - otherwise we'd definitely be eating it  sad

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 23 Jan 09 12:35pm

AL

From Selby
Member since Sat 19 Mar 05

we like haggi in my family, but it is not easy to find good Haggi local, or we would be eating haggi on Sunday. sad

Likes (0)