forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 22 Jan 09 7:10pm

marge37

Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

Weight Watchers? I've worked out the points for my fav recipes

Bought the Minstry of Food book just over a week ago when I'd read my friends.  I've been really impressed with it.

I'm a fairly good cook and like experimenting with food.  Jamie's book is fab, really easy to follow and simple.  Every recipe I've tried has been great.  I'm trying to watch my weight at the moment so was a little worried about the fat content, so I've worked out the Weight Watchers points for my favourite recipes substituting certain ingredients where I can for alternative lower fat options ie. cutting out the knobs of butter, replacing cream with creme fraiche and reducing the parmasen cheese portions (I can safely say the taste has not been compromised).

Would be interested to hear if others have followed suit. 

I didn't watch the Minstry of Food show but am glad I've found the book.  I've recommended it to so many of my friends already and we're planning to have a cookalong evening in February.

Well done Jamie

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 22 Jan 09 7:26pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Weight Watchers? I've worked out the points for my fav recipes

There have been questions lately about Weight Watcher's points for Jamie's recipes.

Where are you located?  Creme fraiche in France that I have seen is 30% or 40% fat, the lowfat was 20% fat.

I sometimes will put nonfat evaporated milk into a sauce, yogurt or sour cream (low or nonfat) and I take measures to avoid the sauce breaking.  I'd rather get the benefits of the dairy and not leave it out and I find it handled well, I don't really miss the texture of the fat content.

Good luck with your diet!  Share ideas, even for those who aren't trying to reduce their weight, it's nice to have some lower fat options.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 22 Jan 09 7:31pm

Katja

Forum champ
Occupation Study to become a social and healthcare assistent
From Denmark
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

i made chicken curry  and the sauce was made of a 9% creme fraiche and it worked fine so have done it since ...

i also used it for homemade tuna salad  tongue

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 25 Jan 09 11:50pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Carnation has a coconut flavoured light evaporated milk that is supposed to be a good substitute for coconut milk.

I have never tried it as I have ever seen it in the supermarkets here. It is supposed tobe very good though.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 26 Jan 09 12:30am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

The main supermarket brand of creme fraiche in australia has 35% fat http://www.kidairy.com.au/Products.aspx?product=33

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 26 Jan 09 1:17am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

To quote a woman from Food Safari when asked about substituting low fat milk in a recipe... "go for a walk".

If you are not using cream all that often, it is not going to hurt - especially if you are exercising.

I still use butter, and olive oil is actually good for you anyway. Just cut down on the amount you use.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 26 Jan 09 1:36am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I like that. Since I've become gluten free i'm thankful that I didn't restrict my eating, e.g. the second piece of a really nice cake, etc. I won't eat low fat dairy products on principle, what if i become lactose intolerant? shocked

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 26 Jan 09 10:17am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

With the amount of travel we do, temptations abound, we get our fill of treats, believe me, then when I cook at home, I actually crave simpler foods.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 04 Feb 09 11:28pm

daytona1

Member since Wed 04 Feb 09

IF YOU MAKE A CURRY OUT OF THE  MINISTRY OF FOOD BOOK AND DONT WANT TO USE FULL FAT COCONUT MILK TRY USING COCONUT MILK LIGHT I GOT MINE FROM MORRISONS

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 05 Feb 09 10:44am

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Hi Marge

Well done! Really interesting forum posting, I passed your posting on to some of my colleagues who were involved with Jamie's Ministry of Food

Dan

Likes (0)