forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 26 Jan 09 11:59pm

monkeyboy3

From Scotland
Member since Fri 21 Apr 06

Tesco Healthy Living Chicken

Hello,

Does anyone know what standard Tesco's fresh "healthy living" chicken breasts are? Free-range, RSPCA standard or normal standard?

They are more expensive than the cheap chicken, and on par with the Willow farm range (RSPCA) but a bit cheaper than the free range range.

I can not find out any info from Tesco's on this or on other website.

Any info would be great

Thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Jan 09 11:31am

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Re: Tesco Healthy Living Chicken

If it doesn't say RSPCA Freedom Food/Free Range/Organic on the packet then it's probably bog standard chicken. The 'Healthy Living' just means that it's had all skin and fat removed. If you're on a budget, look out for Tesco's 'Willow Farm' brand, which is bred to RSPCA standards.

Did you watch 'Chickens, Hugh and Tesco Too' last night on C4? It was most informative on this subject. It should be on 4OD by now.

Last edited by john_lee (Tue 27 Jan 09 9:59pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Jan 09 12:12pm

maggie-mee

Member since Sun 25 Jan 09

Yeah - agreed Hugh's chicken show on C4 was very good, so much so that I am having consious mind not to buy my silver-rated ( 75% meat content ) boxes of chicken breast from cashncarry when I am doing catering at  festivals dotted around uk. I have asked my local butcher to supply me with chicken breast/thighs for catering - but it is a tough choice, staying alive and making a decent margin to stay in this game...

perhaps, what Hugh does to supermarket - shall also be aimed at these cash.carry gaints to caterers like myself.... i will ask Hugh this question....

While Hugh is on lucky cluckies,,, Jamie is on 3 little pigs...then the same question to Jamie also on wholesalers on bacon, sauages etc.... help

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 27 Jan 09 8:30pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Hey MonkeyBoy...

I actually thought the exact same the last time I was in Tesco - doesnt seem to be mentioned on the packaging..... well, anyway, I didnt see it....

I think John is right on that one....  roll

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 28 Jan 09 9:20am

monkeyboy3

From Scotland
Member since Fri 21 Apr 06

Hello,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my question, all good info. I thought the same as you John, but what made me doubt it was bog standard chicken was the price but I suppose that may be beacuse it is healthy living with the fat and skin removed. So after all it's not really Healthy Living.

I will try to dig deeper and ask Tesco myself next time I am in or has anyone ever emailed them before, they should really stating on the packet how the chicken was raised.

I also did watch Hugh, chicken and tesco was a very good show, but again I think the big supemarkets are just all about the money. I usually buy RSPCA chicken if I am have stirfry etc, but if I am having a meal with a whole chciken or chicken breast I will buy Frange range, usually form my butcher as I get steaks, sausages, mince etc from him and they are so much better than the supermarket and not much more cost on me.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 28 Jan 09 10:45am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Did you know that the broader the chickens shoulders are is a proof that it has had a happy free range life. You know, running around and scratching at the earth. Doing the things that chickens should do.........

When i'm to buy a chicken, the first thing i look for is the colour which for me should be a yellow golden tinged skin, as that shows what it has been eating.

Only lastly do i look at the ticket to see it's origin etc, which will confirm the reste......FREE RANGE / ORGANIC HAPPY CHICK big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 30 Jan 09 3:23pm

Targy

Member since Fri 30 Jan 09

I bought Farm Assured today thinking it had benefited from better welfare but apparently not. I guess I'm just going to have to cough up the extra pennies.

I had a go at Morrisons 2 years ago. They ran a double page spread in their free magazine about how good they were to their chickens. I wrote to them pointing out they hadn't mentioned their BOGOF chicken breasts and I enquired about their prior welfare. After 2 or 3 letters which didn't answer the question I gave up.

Having watched Hugh on sunday night I fired off this e-mail to Tesco. They sent the "acknowledgement of receipt" e-mail to me and I haven't heard anything since.

"For a long time I have thought that the image of Tesco has become tainted and last night's television programme surrounding your appalling attitude to the welfare of the standard chickens you retail has confirmed this.From the outset you have treated the issue with arrogance and contempt and your attempt at defence (where did you get that media spokeswoman from) was nothing short of embarassing. I really hope that your customers leave you in droves of thousands, just as I intend to.
You should hang your heads in shame".

Likes (0)