forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 31 Jan 09 4:55pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: the most poor inventive

After WWII Krete was left in shambles.  People were very poor and had to depend on their surroundings and ruined farms to survive.  The most innovative thing they did was go out to the fields and gather weeds (like dandelions).  They are boiled, and drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.  Nothing more simple than that.

Later when scientific studies were done they figured out that the Mediterranean kretan diet was one of the healthiest in the world and they attribute it to these - weeds, legumes, and olive oil.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 31 Jan 09 5:00pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Cabbage and ceci soup with croutons.  Croutons being one of the best ways I can think of for using up old bread.  When I was a kid I used to think they were something very fancy.  The name itself suggested to me some sort of French elegance. 
Eddie

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 31 Jan 09 7:31pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

madamada wrote:

I have the feeling that you do not know what poor means, that is the moment when being geniali transforms a simple recipe in something precious

people who had no supermarkets nearby nor money was able to make people happy with just a bit more than nothing.
That is was I'm looking for ............... and of course you must be at table with people who are ready for that wink

My dishes are all good for the poor (OK, the liquid nitrogen is for scientists who nicked some from the lab, or people who broke into a lab).

The cheese fondue and croutons is a take on cheese on toast.

The strawberries and cream is strawberries and cream. Just served in a manner that encourages the diner to interact with their food, thus making the experience more enjoyable and thus improving the perceived quality of the food, and of the meal.

The popcorn and air is an incredibly simple and poor dish, taking just 3 ingredients and carrying them into the current gastronomic era.

As for the steak, well, you're saving money on plates and frying pans.

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 31 Jan 09 8:08pm

whitedog

Forum champ
Occupation striving to be a better human
From america
Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

Peeled frozen bananas are a great desert. (a resubmit) (luckily bananas are available now and so cheap).

Once when I was very broke I had a beet, a carrot, and a red cabbage, I put them all through the little processor I had been given and made the best coleslaw I ever had, I think I also had a little bottle of olive oil, which drizzled on made it all just sublime. The carrot and beet are so sweet, and the cabbage so luscious. And they are all quite inexpensive(!!!).

My roasted leg quarters, green and red peppers, onions and potatos were cheap and oh so good. Put them all together in a roasting pan, the vegetables cut up in big chunks, drizzled with some oil and what you might have with regard to herbs, salt and pepper, and any other flavoring of your choice, and roast at 350 or so til nice and happily bubbling together. Zuccini might be a good substitute for peppers, or fennel.

Another simple favorite was chicken breats and escarole. I'd saute the breasts in olive oil and throw in the escarole and cook it all together, no extra water. I must have used some kind of herb but can't remember what, so use what you like. Add s&p.....

I used to make vegetable stews with tofu, could use meat instead of you like. Yams, potatos, onions, something green: kale, chard, collards, spinach, escarole, zuccini, broccoli, and the protein ingredient. I'd season them with spices, herbs and salt&pepper Often I'd sprinkle on curry powder just enough to make it sing, not enough to call a curry, added to cinnamon, ginger, and parsley and I don't remember now what herbs I had then, they were gorgeous pots of wondrous food, picked me right up!

When I was really really broke I'd make this stuff out of flour and water, like a wafery kind of crackery bread and eat it with kidney beans and collards, but you don't want to know about that kind of simplicity...I hope.

I read somewhere that the street kids in Italy survived during the war by eating the moldy fruits which was great for healing illnesses of all kinds!! Poverty is heart breaking but provides so much ground for invention and discovery.

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 31 Jan 09 8:13pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Chocolate and hazlenuts... my guilty food pleasure is Nutella on toast!

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 31 Jan 09 8:26pm

whitedog

Forum champ
From america

hugs and kisses john but though that is simple, nutella is not cheap.

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 31 Jan 09 8:31pm

john_lee

From Wales and Italy

Well, I think Nutella (or a Supermarket own version) is pretty cheap, but I'm going to go with Spaghetti con Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino (spaghetti with garlic, olive oil and dried chilli) - what could be cheaper and more delicious than that? Especially sprinkled with choped parsley and pangritata, which are practically free!

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 31 Jan 09 8:35pm

whitedog

Forum champ
From america

I must (?) try to find that, generic nutella, yeah!!

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 31 Jan 09 8:46pm

john_lee

From Wales and Italy

My local discount supermarket has a brown and white swirly version, called, I think, Hazlenut Swirl. It's surely a jar of filth, but I still like it!

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 31 Jan 09 8:57pm

whitedog

Forum champ
From america

Mummza is from Wales too, and my uncle had a news paper in Swansea near where they had a house, if I could remember the name of the town I wouldn't be able to spell it, but do remember it was a beautiful place. My uncle took me to the town Dylan Thomas lived, what a guy, eh? My friend Bob tells a story about him when he was at Yale, he would often stroll down the street where he was living and the neighborhood dogs would gather round and listen or just collect there lovingly as he sat musing or reciting on the curb. His wife when they were broke used to make stews that cooked for weeks, she just kept adding things...

Likes (0)